Cincinnati v Connecticut

BYU, UConn agree to future home-and-home

1 Comment

It’s no Boise State-Florida State, but it’ll do.

In a joint press release, BYU and UConn announced that the two schools have agreed to a home-and-home series in the not-too-distant future.  The Cougars and Huskies will meet at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn., on Aug. 28, 2014, with the second game being played at LaVell Edwards Stadium on Oct. 31, 2015.

“We are grateful to UConn for the opportunity to play this home-and-home series and look forward to the games,” said BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe. “The Huskies have played great football as an FBS member, winning league titles and earning numerous bowl invitations.  Scheduling this game in the northeast gives our fans traveling to the game opportunities to visit places they may not have been before. We are also excited to welcome UConn to Provo for its first-ever visit to LaVell Edwards Stadium.”

The 2014 game will mark the first time the two programs have met in football.  The Huskies also have a non-conference game against Tennessee scheduled for the 2015 season as part of another home-and-home series.

“We are very excited to bring another nationally prominent opponent to Rentschler Field,” said Holmoe’s UConn counterpart, Warde Manuel. “BYU has a long tradition of football excellence with prominent players that are known around the country. With Michigan playing at UConn in 2013 and Tennessee in 2015, we feel that we have a very strong non-conference schedule for the next several years and plan on continuing that practice.

“I also think UConn fans will enjoy making the trip to Provo in 2015. Our loyal followers have established a tradition of travelling well to national non-conference contests and I think this will happen again when we go to BYU.”

Former Texas A&M WR Thomas Johnson arrested on murder charge

Thomas Johnson
Associated Press

A very disturbing story has emerged out of Dallas, where former Texas A&M wide receiver Thomas Johnson sits in a Dallas County jail cell after allegedly admitting to hacking an unsuspecting jogger to death with a machete.

Just before 8 a.m. Monday, authorities say Johnson went to White Rock Creek Trail, a popular jogging trail in northeast Dallas, and randomly slashed a jogger to death. “It appears Mr. Johnson picked this victim at random. Absolutely random,” Deputy Chief Rob Sherwin told the Dallas Morning News. “He just attacked him. … It’s just very unusual. It’s quite shocking.”

Johnson then walked away from the scene in search of a cell phone. An onlooker had already dialed 911, and when police arrived Johnson allegedly told them there was a man “laying down with a sword in his head and not moving.”

“I just committed capital murder,” Johnson said and then repeated, according to his arrest affidavit. The only motive police reported was that Johnson was angry at his situation in life at the time of the slaying.

The victim, an unidentified male between the age of 25 and 35, passed away at a nearby hospital.

Johnson, meanwhile, remains in a Dallas County jail in lieu of $500,000 bail.

Johnson was a highly-regarded member of Kevin Sumlin‘s first recruiting class at Texas A&M. As a true freshman in 2012, the Dallas native caught 30 passes for 339 yards and one touchdown through the Aggies’ upset of then-No. 1 Alabama and then simply… disappeared. He went missing for three days in November 2012 before turning up back home in Dallas. His mother told the San Antonio Express-News last April Johnson would like to return to college football, but a return to the game never materialized.

No punishment from SEC for Bielema’s sideline interaction with Alabama player

Bret Bielema

Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema will not be disciplined by the SEC office for his brief interaction with Alabama offensive lineman Cam Robinson last weekend. A video showing Bielema exaggerating his interaction with Robinson at the end of a play was reviewed by SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, and the commissioner has discussed the situation with the Razorbacks coach.

“I visited with Bret over the phone on Monday and we discussed the play that has now become widely reviewed through a brief video clip,” Sankey said in a released statement. “Football is played in an intense competitive environment and I reminded him of the need for head coaches to resolve with their own players issues that may arise, which was his intent. The unsportsmanlike penalty assessed on the play was not directly associated with Bret’s efforts to intervene at the end of the play and we are moving forward in a positive manner.”

That appears to be the end of the discussion regarding Bielema’s act. I personally think there should have been some more done here by the league’s commissioner, but we will see if Bielema avoids putting himself in a similar position moving forward.