While the details are extremely scant at the moment, there was apparently something involving one of the top tight ends in the country that occurred earlier this weekend. And it appears that something was less than positive.
In a press release, Washington vaguely referred to an incident that occurred Saturday night involving Austin Seferian-Jenkins. What the incident entailed is not public knowledge at this time; a quick search of law enforcement websites in the area netted no results involving Seferian-Jenkins.
For now, the statement from Steve Sarkisian will stand as the the school’s official response to whatever it was that occurred Saturday night.
“We are aware of an incident that occurred Saturday evening involving Austin Seferian-Jenkins,” the head coach’s statement began. “We are taking the matter very seriously. Austin made decisions that fall short of our expectations for student-athletes who represent the University of Washington. He will be disciplined internally in accordance with team and departmental policies. We will continue to support Austin throughout this process, while also holding him accountable and responsible for his actions.”
The release went on to state that “[n]either Sarkisian, Seferian-Jenkins, nor any other department officials will have further comment on the matter at this time.” We can confirm, at least for the moment, that’s a very firm stance on the school’s part.
With 69 receptions for 850 yards and seven touchdowns in 2012, Seferian-Jenkins was one of the most highly-regarded players at his position. With the departures at said position, he’ll arguably be the top returning TE in 2013.
Obviously, there’ll be more on this developing situation…
UPDATED 5:56 p.m. ET: The Tacoma News Tribune offers up the following as the beginnings of an explanation of the situation in which Seferian-Jenkins finds himself.
Washington tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins was involved in an incident Saturday night around 11:30 at 22nd Ave. NE and Northeast Ravenna in Seattle.
Seferian-Jenkins’ name was run by police during a traffic stop and it is unclear whether he was the passenger or driver.
As if this day wasn’t busy enough, Ole Miss announced late Monday evening star-crossed offensive lineman Laremy Tunsil‘s suspension has been capped at seven games, meaning he’ll miss Saturday’s trip to Memphis but return in time for Texas A&M visit to The Grove on Oct. 24.
From the university:
The University initially withheld Tunsil from competition at the start of the season as both the NCAA and the University examined several alleged improper benefits. During the course of the process, it was determined by the NCAA that Tunsil received impermissible extra benefits that included the use of three separate loaner vehicles over a sixth-month period without payment, a four-month interest-free promissory note on a $3,000 down payment for purchasing a used vehicle, two nights of lodging at a local home, an airline ticket purchased by a friend of a teammate, and one day use of a rental vehicle. In addition, it was determined that Tunsil was not completely forthcoming when initially questioned by NCAA investigators regarding the loaner vehicles. He later corrected his account and since apologized.
As part of his reinstatement conditions, the NCAA imposed a seven-game suspension, ordered Tunsil to pay the value of the extra benefits to a charity, perform community service, and he will also make the vehicle down payment.
Said Tunsil: “I take full responsibility for the mistakes I made and want to thank everyone for their continued support. I want to apologize to my teammates, coaches and the entire Ole Miss family for how my choices affected our program. This was a learning experience, and I’m looking forward to being back on the field with my team and redeeming myself. The last 10 months have been a physical and mental battle for me, but I love playing this game more than anything else. I want to be here for my teammates who are depending on me to finish what we started together.”
The news is, obviously, great for Tunsil and head coach Hugh Freeze personally, as well as the entire Ole Miss football program. It’s also a nice plus for NFL scouts, as it means Tunsil’s first live action of 2015 will come against possible future No. 1 draft pick Myles Garrett.
Hope he’s been practicing.
Say it ain’t so, Steve.
According to a report from Thayer Evans of Sports Illustrated Monday evening, Steve Spurrier is set to retire.
Spurrier, 70, is a legend the likes college football has never seen before and never will again.
He was a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback at Florida, then returned to his alma mater and turned the program into a juggernaut, leading the Gators to 122-27-1 record from 1990-01 and a national championship in 1996. After a stint with the NFL’s Washington Redskins, Spurrier landed at South Carolina, where since 2005 he’s racked up a school record 86 wins.
But those wins slowed down of late. After an SEC East championship in 2010 and three straight 11-2 seasons from 2011-13, the Gamecocks fell to 7-6 in 2014, and are off to a 2-4 mark this fall. With the possibility of losses to nemeses old and new like Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Florida and Clemson ahead, Spurrier, it appears, would rather fade away quietly to the putting green.
Perhaps no two sentences summarize Spurrier, then and now, more precisely than this:
Combined with his three years at Duke, Spurrier closes up shop with a 228-89-2 mark, and a bust in the coaches’ wing of the Hall of Fame waiting for him.