In the news late last week for claims he made against the Auburn football program, Mike McNeil will now find himself behind bars for the foreseeable future.
According to multiple media outlets, the former Tigers defensive back has reached a plea agreement just as his armed robbery case was set to go to trial. McNeil was sentenced to what the Associated Press described as a 15-year split sentence. He must serve at least three years in prison as well as three years of supervised probation. He had been facing 21 years to life.
“The totality of the circumstances make this the best deal,” McNeil’s attorney, Ben Hand, said according to al.com.
“I was informed what they are trying to say is the truth, but I am not saying it is,” McNeil said shortly after he changed his plea from not guilty to guilty.
The original charge stemmed from an armed robbery in March of 2011 involving four AU football players. All four, including McNeil, were subsequently dismissed by then-head coach Gene Chizik.
In Selena Roberts‘ salacious story that was the talk of the college football news world over the weekend, McNeil stridently maintained his innocence, noting that he had turned down multiple plea deals.
McNeil also leveled allegations of academic misconduct and impermissible benefits against the AU football program in Roberts’ story. At least two players quoted in the story claimed they were misquoted or their words were taken out of context, while AU officials vehemently denied the allegations.
Florida head coach Will Muschamp, Auburn’s defensive coordinator in 2007, also denied that he had given McNeil $400 in cash following a particularly rough practice session.
Heading into his second season in Gainesville, Florida defensive coordinator Geoff Collins just received a significant raise.
Collins, who signed a three-year contract paying him $600,000 annually after leaving Mississippi State to join Jim McElwain‘s staff last winter, netted a bump to $890,000 with a $150,000 retention bonus according to contract details obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.
Nine assistants earned at least $1 million in 2015 according to USA Today, with six of those hailing from the SEC.
Additionally, defensive line coach Chris Rumph‘s salary moved to $500,000 with a one-year extension through the 2017 season, offensive line coach Mike Summers will earn $498,500, linebackers coach Randy Shannon‘s $400,000 salary grew by just under $10,000, and new defensive backs coach Torrian Gray signed a two-year deal paying him $335,000 annually.
Florida’s defense ranked eighth nationally in yards per play allowed in 2015, helping the Gators win an unexpected SEC East championship.
In an odd way, here’s the best way to show just how far Art Briles took Baylor’s football program: his interim replacement will make more money for eight months of work than the full-time head coaches at Iowa State and Kansas.
Jim Grobe will earn $1.25 million for his work from late May through the end of the upcoming football season, according to a report from Brett McMurphy of ESPN on Monday. Iowa State’s Matt Campbell will earn $1.2 million in an incentive-laden contract this year, while KU’s David Beaty will net $800,000.
Grobe’s $1.25 million deal is also the richest for any interim head coach on record. Arkansas paid John L. Smith $850,000 for 10 months of work back in 2012.
Baylor opens its season Friday, Sept. 2 against Northwestern State.
Six Washington State football players have been named persons of interest in a brawl that left two students hospitalized and even more injured over the weekend.
According to the Spokane Spokesman-Review, a group of students that included Cougars players started threw fireworks at attendees of a Pullman, Wash., party early Saturday morning. That led to a verbal altercation that soon became physical, where one suffered a bloody wound on the back of his neck and another was forced to undergo facial reconstruction surgery after suffering a broken jaw.
“We’re looking at this as a very serious felony assault level based on the injuries to two victims,” Pullman police commander Chris Tennant told the paper. “I would like to make arrests later in the week. I don’t know if that’s a realistic timeline. I expect this to be a lengthy investigation. A lot of people have to be interviewed.”
Wazzu AD Bill Moos released the following statement Monday afternoon:
“In regards to the events that took place over the past weekend, the university was made aware of the situation shortly after the incident occurred. It is our understanding there is a thorough investigation underway by local law enforcement and we will cooperate fully as we take these matters seriously. In addition, facts are being gathered within the athletic department in order to provide assistance. We have high expectations for the conduct of WSU student-athletes, and treat any alleged allegations with the utmost transparency. The WSU athletic staff is in constant communication with the Office of the President and the Office of Student Life to ensure that university leadership is aware of the continuing investigation by local law enforcement. We will refrain from further comment until the findings of the investigation are complete.”
Last week Florida head coach Jim McElwain confirmed Treon Harris will move from quarterback to wide receiver.
“Everybody has freedom, he doesn’t have to stay there,” McElwain said, via SEC Country. “But at the end of the day, look, we’re in this not here to hurt anybody’s feelings. But at the same time, it is what it is and we’ve got four guys who I’m really proud of. The room is really good and I’m excited about it.”
McElwain may not have wanted to hurt Harris’s feelings, but he may not have minded Harris taking a hint.
As first reported by Ryan Bartow of Gator Bait and later confirmed by the program, Harris has picked up what McElwain put down.
Harris, rated the No. 9 athlete nationally coming out of powerhouse Booker T. Washington High School in Miami, would have a myriad of options should he be open to playing a position other than quarterback. But, then again, if he wanted to play somewhere other than under center, one assumes he’d have stayed at Florida in the first place.
Florida’s leading returning passer — he completed 119-of-235 throws for 1,676 yards and nine touchdowns with six interceptions, good for a quarterback rating that placed 92nd nationally — Harris would have two years of eligibility remaining should he opt to remain at the FBS level.