Skip to content

Video: ‘The Daily Show’ takes its shot at the NCAA

File photo of Jon Stewart holding the Emmy award for outstanding variety series for "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" at the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles Reuters

You know a college athletics story is big when “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” gets a hold of it.

You also know that the NCAA has been making plenty of headlines over the past several months in connection to cases at Penn State and Miami, as well as the ongoing legal battle with the Ed O’Bannon plaintiffs. Suffice to say, it hasn’t been a good year for the governing body.

So “The Daily Show” piled on in the segment below and crushed the NCAA in the most backhanded, sarcastic way it knew how. It’s not really football-related, but it is too good to pass up. No matter your view on athlete compensation, watch, and hopefully, laugh.

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Get More: Daily Show Full Episodes,Indecision Political Humor,The Daily Show on Facebook

(Video courtesy of “The Daily Show” and Comedy Central)

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Posts
6 Responses to “Video: ‘The Daily Show’ takes its shot at the NCAA”
  1. alligatorsnapper says: Apr 12, 2013 1:36 PM

    A wrestler is on a 10 percent scholarship and has to pay all the rest of the 90 percent expenses to attend college so he writes a rap song with inspirational lyrics which have nothing to do with wrestling, the school, or the NCAA and he is thrown out because he uses his own name and profits off his own name, his own writing, his own song?

    I stand by my earlier post…

    The NCAA is INSANE!

  2. Deb says: Apr 12, 2013 1:49 PM

    I’m a few days behind on my Daily Show viewing and hadn’t seen this yet. Brilliant. The plaintiffs’ attorneys in the O’Bannon v. NCAA lawsuit should just show this bit to the jury and rest the case there. I didn’t realize athletes couldn’t use their own names in business ventures having nothing whatsoever to do with athletics. That should have been challenged in court long ago. At this point, it’s difficult to see the difference between the NCAA and racketeers–except that the Mafia is better-run.

  3. mhalt99 says: Apr 12, 2013 3:39 PM

    Deb says:

    don’t forget, the Mafia aren’t scummy enough to make their money off school children and whatever property or legitimate money they make is taxed.

    oh and the mafia doesn’t call you on the phone begging for money….not really sure whose collection policies are worse though…..you can run from the mob….can’t really run from school loans.

  4. kiopta1 says: Apr 12, 2013 4:47 PM

    I used to support the NCAA…but leave it to the daily show to really point out how asinine it has become.

  5. mrlaloosh says: Apr 12, 2013 6:24 PM

    Nice!

  6. eidolon21 says: Apr 13, 2013 9:58 AM

    NCAA = corrupt leadership and blatant disregard of its own rules and process = a lack of institutional control = the death penalty for Emmert and his culture of big money over integrity

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!