LSU’s Alfred Blue apologizes for ‘sissy’ comment aimed at homosexuals

Eric Reid, Alfred Blue AP

In a piece that appeared on the website’s student newspaper posted Friday, the Daily Reveille asked several players on the LSU football team how accepting they would be if there were an openly gay player on the roster.  The attitudes of most of the players when it came to that question can be summed up by the words of quarterback Stephen Rivers.

“If he can play for LSU, he will play for LSU,” the sophomore told the paper.

Notice we said “most,” though.  When asked about a gay man being a member of the Tigers, running back Alfred Blue, well, went here:

“Football is supposed to be this violent sport — this aggressive sport that grown men are supposed to play. Ain’t no little boys out here between them lines. So if you gay, we look at you as a sissy. You know? Like, how you going to say you can do what we do and you want a man?”

Facepalm

In response to the quotes, LSU has issued a statement on behalf of Blue in an attempt to cram the homophobic toothpaste back in the tube.

“I understand that my comments may have sounded insensitive to those who read the Reveille article on Friday,” the player’s statement began. “I in no way meant to belittle any person’s way of life and feel that everyone deserves a chance to become whatever they want to be.  One of my comments that was left out of Friday’s article shows this. I told the reporter that if any person can help to contribute to the team, then that is the bottom line.

“I apologize if anyone was hurt by my comments and also to everyone that I may have let down.”

While there appears to be some significant momentum toward a homosexual football player stepping out of the closet, Blue’s comments make it perfectly clear that such a development would be the first step of what will likely be a long road to acceptance inside the locker room.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: LSU Tigers, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts
33 Responses to “LSU’s Alfred Blue apologizes for ‘sissy’ comment aimed at homosexuals”
  1. dor1963 says: Apr 19, 2013 9:19 PM

My feelings are hurt..since all you seem to do is force gay football players on us….

2. dor1963 says: Apr 19, 2013 9:22 PM

And Mr. blue, stay true to what you believe….it’s political correctness running amok….again…The brain surgeon from John Hopkins…is so right…. Dr. Carson?

3. mrlaloosh says: Apr 19, 2013 9:28 PM

Blue blows.

4. John Taylor says: Apr 19, 2013 9:31 PM

My feelings are hurt..since all you seem to do is force black football players on us….

See how asinine that reads? Your comment is as asinine in 2013 as that sentiment above was back in the fifties/sixties/seventies.

5. mudhead123 says: Apr 19, 2013 9:41 PM

Forced to apologize to make liberals happy

6. wgray981 says: Apr 19, 2013 9:42 PM

Ok fine he voiced his opinion. Maybe it isn’t the most popular but who really cares? Is this blog so pathetic that this is considered newsworthy?

7. therealpittbull says: Apr 19, 2013 9:49 PM

I love Blue being REAL. Don’t back down, or apologize for your feelings. It’s your thoughts. Next, they will be forcing you to change your sexual preference.

8. John Taylor says: Apr 19, 2013 9:53 PM

“Is this blog so pathetic that this is considered newsworthy?”

When LSU takes the time to craft a statement and send it out to various media outlets, that’s the dictionary definition of newsworthy.

9. elwaysmilehighdenver says: Apr 19, 2013 9:58 PM

NBC Sports daily gay fixation! When did this become your agenda?

10. idolized1 says: Apr 19, 2013 10:11 PM

John Taylor says:
    Apr 19, 2013 9:31 PM
    “My feelings are hurt..since all you seem to do is force black football players on us….”

————————————————-

That’s the dumbest thing you have ever said on here…

11. suprmous says: Apr 19, 2013 10:24 PM

laloosh, you ‘re undoubtedly the bigot here and not Alfred. And I refuse to call folks like you Mr. Mrs. Miss or Ms. It’s folks like you that make this writer want to bite 10 penny nails up and spit rust. And no mudhead he wasn’t FORCED to apologize. You laloosh need to get a grip on life as it be and quit judgin folks. Alfred’s indeed within his right to voice his opinion and then come back and make an apology on his own thank you. At least he’s a gentleman enuff to where some aren’t. As well he shows class where some wouldn’t or know the meanin of the word. As for attackin me, bite me both of you just bite me if you’re man enuff to.

12. draconian1111 says: Apr 19, 2013 11:04 PM

Considering it is 2013 – anyone that is that vehement regarding homosexuality may have something to hide. Opening up like this with your friends is one thing – to a stranger? This person has some really deep seated issues.
    It’s not a normal reaction – period – not with a stranger. Strangers get a filtered answer – considering this – what would he have told a close friend?

13. mudhead123 says: Apr 19, 2013 11:06 PM

If you think for a second he apologized without being told to by LSU I feel sorry for you. He said what he meant.

14. mauldawg says: Apr 19, 2013 11:16 PM

Its a damn shame that you cant say what you feel without some damn liberal running to the PC police and bitching. If you don’t want to read how someone feels and you cant take the truth just shut the hell up Everyone must bow down to the PC police. Its a damn shame.

15. thraiderskin says: Apr 19, 2013 11:20 PM

There really is no place you can go from there… YIKES!

16. allen227 says: Apr 19, 2013 11:45 PM

That’s bull crap. To many politically correct a$$holes out there. We still are allowed to have our own opinion.

17. sportsfaninyyc says: Apr 19, 2013 11:53 PM

Apologizing for something you said, even if you meant it, just to be PC, is being a sissy.

18. blancodiablo says: Apr 20, 2013 2:50 AM

Welcome to the SEC where the average IQ is 80. But they be gettin’ a college educashun.

19. 11thstreetmafia says: Apr 20, 2013 3:26 AM

Yes, people, you are entitled to your own opinion. But, when you are ignorant and wrong…you are ignorant and wrong. This guy has played against gay players before and he will play against gay players in the future. Just because These guys haven’t registered their sexuality with him doesn’t mean anything. Can you play or not?

20. louhudson23 says: Apr 20, 2013 9:01 AM

The fact is however, that he or one(or several) of his teammates or opponents are gay. So,when he says that gays are too sissy to play the game,then he is wrong. Factually wrong. So,some one pointed out the ignorance of his statement. And he apoligised for being wrong.As for so many of the commenters,I thank you for making your ignorance publicly known. There are opinions and then there are bullshit statements.Young Mr. Blue’s statement was a bullshit declaration that gay players can’t play the game. They have,they are,and they will continue to do so. As well as to serve and fight in our Armed Forces,serve as Police and Firemen, serve as Doctors,Scientists,Teachers,RaceCar Drivers,Astronauts,Baseball players,Mothers,Fathers,Sisters,Brothers,Aunts,Uncles,Cousins,Nephews,neighbors,bosses,co-workers

21. noring4youstill says: Apr 20, 2013 9:07 AM

It’s true. Unless their one of those Bear types. They are sissy.

22. momus47 says: Apr 20, 2013 9:20 AM

How strange that Blue was able to learn proper English from the time that he made the sissy comment, till the time that he made the apology. What a joke. Does LSU thing everyone is stupid and gullible?

23. jimbo75025 says: Apr 20, 2013 1:52 PM

Sigh, the daily dose of GFT (Gay Football Talk). I personal do not care if someone is gay, but the constant pushing of an agenda can become annoying. Also, when did “sissy” become off limits?

24. normtide says: Apr 20, 2013 4:01 PM

So, the goal is for everyone to accept everyone for who they are? That is, unless their opinion of homosexuality is different then yours. Why not accept Alfred’s view as well? That’s the irony with this movement. Limited acceptance. Respect everyone, except Alfred Blue!

For the poster comparing this to racism, your wrong. Race is not a choice. Race can’t be hidden. Sexual preference was never a basis for slavery. You can’t choose to be different, and then complain because your different.

Do not ask me to accept who you are, but not accept who Alfred is.

25. youcantmakemepickausername says: Apr 21, 2013 12:49 AM

Wow, normtide, you are really, really dumb!! Way to live up to the stereotype!

I mean, your first paragraph actually makes some sense, the second one shows what a total moron you are. People CHOOSE to be gay?? Are you really this stupid?

26. manchestermiracle says: Apr 21, 2013 1:10 AM

Homophobia alive and well in the deep south. How sad that some think wanting the same rights everyone else has is somehow an “agenda.” How sad that a continuing struggle for acceptance is somehow “politically correct” and therefore to be derided and dismissed.

And how doubly sad that yet another minority conveniently forgets (or perhaps is too ignorant to even know) that his forefathers were once in the exact same place as those he irrationally fears. Once again homophobia is proven to not be a fear of something, just a way to publicly state that you are an ignorant asshole.

27. normtide says: Apr 21, 2013 1:42 AM

I disagree with you, so I am ignorant. You sir are the picture of tolerance.

What rights are homosexuals denied? Are they allowed to vote? Forced to attend separate schools? Not allowed into diners? Religious marriage is about it, as civil unions are gaining steam. Comparing this to the racial and gender struggles is ludicrous.

I have seen a few psychological studies where homosexuality is often a result of teenage rejection. Not a genetic condition.

Personally, I don’t care what anyone does in their own home. I just find it ironic when people fight for universal acceptance for all creeds, except the ones they don’t like. I am also against forced ideology. Alfred Blue is entitled to his own opinion, even if you don’t like it. Otherwise, you become that which you are fighting against.

If you have any imperial data showing and sex desires being genetic, I would be happy to read it.

28. lucky5936 says: Apr 21, 2013 6:36 AM

Normtide,

I could not have said it any better myself. I grow so tired of the avenue of Freedom of speech going one way. People are entitled to their opinions and NO, the homosexual community is not being denied any significant rights outside of same-sex marriage. And even then there is progress being made.

We are being ridiculed by people who claim that we do not like homosexuals simply because we believe a person has a right to his opinion. It is that type of slanderous assumptions that the homosexual community is fighting and their supporters turn around and do the same thing.

I personally have nothing against the homosexual community and feel that Mr. Blue’s opinions should not have necessarily gone public and would have been better kept to his close circle of friends. However, our rights to free speech do not extend solely to oppressed activists groups. They extend to all mankind. Intolerance is a two way street and respect must be afforded on both sides. I mean seriously, where do we draw the line? I have never heard of a homosexual person who verbally abuses or jokes about heterosexuals have to apologize or make headline news.

It is time for us as a society to recognize that just because you lead a different lifestyle, that doesn’t give anyone precedence in deciding what is offensive and what is not.

29. louhudson23 says: Apr 21, 2013 9:51 AM

@Norm,lucky et al….Expressions of ignorance are allowed but not necessarily tolerated. You can express them,but there is no point in whining about the fact that so many people do not accept such ignorance anymore.So scream it from the rooftops if you want,it will sound just as stupid from there as it does to read it here. Blue was wrong. Gays play football. He says they can’t.Just what are you defending? His right to be factually incorrect??… His right to display his ignorance? When you make a provably wrong declaration,particularly at the expense of someone else,you get called on it…..maybe he can try a few “flat earth” statements and see if you defend them as vigorously as you defend his bigotry…Gays are on the front lines of our Armed Forces. They were in Boston defending and protecting their city. They are in your offices,churches,stores,flying your airplanes and spaceships,working in your science labs,treating your diseases,playing for your sports teams and living in your families….just as they have always been….grow up…wake up….

30. therealpittbull says: Apr 21, 2013 10:45 AM

NEVER apologize for something you meant. Part of moving out on your own, is becoming a man. If you believe in something, stand up for. It’s actually the cowardly thing to succumb to the pressure and submit to whatever they like or prefer.

31. momus47 says: Apr 21, 2013 4:50 PM

I agree that you should never apologize for something that you meant, but if you are going to apologize at least write the apology yourself with the same hood manner of speaking that you used in the asinine comment that you made.

32. momus47 says: Apr 21, 2013 4:55 PM

Athletics no matter the sport should be required to take whatever classes necessary in English and public speaking if they are going to make or write a statement for public consumption. If they can’t speak or write in English then keep your mouth shut so that you don’t embarrass yourself or your school.

33. lucky5936 says: Apr 22, 2013 8:27 AM

Hey Lou,

The constitution does not state ignorance is the exception. I understand your point about tolerance. I don’t agree with what he said, but I do defend his right to say it without having to apologize for it. I could care less if homosexual men play football, fight on our front lines, or save the universe from aliens. That wasn’t my point. The point I made, that apparently went over your head while you spouting off about gays on the front lines, is that people have a right to say mostly whatever they choose. I would hope they would exercise better judgement in exercising their right to free speech, but that is not how the constitution is written.

Finally, I think it is fantastic that you have outlined only the positive contributions the homosexual community has provided our society. Tad biased aren’t you? Next thing you will tell me is that they walk on water. Listen, you don’t have to prove anything to me about their contributions. I can honestly look at a person and not hold a grudge because they are dating/married to a person of the same sex. It is sad that Alfred Blue is not ready to make that jump in maturity. I hope he will one day. Until then, instead of telling people to grow up and wake up, understand that if homosexual people do not wish to be treated different, then they should stop asking for special treatment. Football players have been called sissies (and worse names) for years by coaches and teammates. Never once do they go crying to the media. Nor do straight football players go to the media to talk about dating women. So no, I do not need a lesson in tolerance. But you might want to check out the full definition of equality. Homosexuals demand equal treatment, and then either take advantage of the opportunity, or we have to listen to slanted opinions from people supporting them. Great! Support them… just don’t call me names or attempt to belittle me because I differ in my opinion. Tolerance huh? Not much tolerance on your part.