Eric Reid, Alfred Blue

LSU’s Alfred Blue apologizes for ‘sissy’ comment aimed at homosexuals

In a piece that appeared on the website’s student newspaper posted Friday, the Daily Reveille asked several players on the LSU football team how accepting they would be if there were an openly gay player on the roster.  The attitudes of most of the players when it came to that question can be summed up by the words of quarterback Stephen Rivers.

“If he can play for LSU, he will play for LSU,” the sophomore told the paper.

Notice we said “most,” though.  When asked about a gay man being a member of the Tigers, running back Alfred Blue, well, went here:

“Football is supposed to be this violent sport — this aggressive sport that grown men are supposed to play. Ain’t no little boys out here between them lines. So if you gay, we look at you as a sissy. You know? Like, how you going to say you can do what we do and you want a man?”

Facepalm

In response to the quotes, LSU has issued a statement on behalf of Blue in an attempt to cram the homophobic toothpaste back in the tube.

“I understand that my comments may have sounded insensitive to those who read the Reveille article on Friday,” the player’s statement began. “I in no way meant to belittle any person’s way of life and feel that everyone deserves a chance to become whatever they want to be.  One of my comments that was left out of Friday’s article shows this. I told the reporter that if any person can help to contribute to the team, then that is the bottom line.

“I apologize if anyone was hurt by my comments and also to everyone that I may have let down.”

While there appears to be some significant momentum toward a homosexual football player stepping out of the closet, Blue’s comments make it perfectly clear that such a development would be the first step of what will likely be a long road to acceptance inside the locker room.

Brady Hoke addresses how defensive goals have changed in college football

New Oregon defensive coordinator Brady Hoke meets with members of the media at the Hatfield-Dowling Complex near Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore., Thursday, Feb. 11, 2016. Hoke is a former head coach at Michigan. (Andy Nelson/The Register-Guard via AP)
Andy Nelson/The Register-Guard via AP

Brady Hoke is looking forward to getting back in coaching this season as Oregon’s defensive coordinator. A year away from the game from the coaching point of view after being let go by Michigan, Hoke is taking on a big task with revamping Oregon’s defense. With the offenses Hoke will see in the Pac-12, he knows the defensive goals that have been regular staples for decades in the past will no longer be what he believes to be a realistic goal.

It used to be the goal was 13 points or less. That was the standard everybody had,” Hoke said this week as he met with the Oregon media for the first time since being hired. “The style of offenses have changed. You can also see defenses evolving for the style of offense. If you’re going to play Stanford, your team goals for that week may be a little different, defensively, because of the style of offense.

“When you’re going to play Arizona, your points per possession become more important than holding [Stanford running back and Heisman Trophy finalist] Christian McCaffrey under 100 yards rushing. You have to be realistic for your players.”

It seems as though Hoke is prepared to give in on a few defensive goals he has lived by for years in hopes of achieving a larger vision with Oregon’s defense. Considering how much Oregon’s defense needs to improve. The Ducks ranked 117th in total defense in 2015. The lowlight of the season had to be the Alamo Bowl meltdown that saw a 31-point lead against TCU end up with a loss to the Horned Frogs. The question is what will be the goal for the Oregon defense in 2016, and how realistic will it be?

“If you set unrealistic goals — we want challenging goals, but unrealistic goals, that’s not fair to those kids,” Hoke said.

Helmet sticker to CoachingSearch.com.

Colorado promotes Darian Hagan to RB coach, shuffles offensive coaching duties

Handlers lead Ralphie, the mascot of Colorado, around the field before Colorado hosts Southern California in an NCAA football game in Boulder, Colo., Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)
AP Photo/David Zalubowski