Eric Reid, Alfred Blue

LSU’s Alfred Blue apologizes for ‘sissy’ comment aimed at homosexuals

In a piece that appeared on the website’s student newspaper posted Friday, the Daily Reveille asked several players on the LSU football team how accepting they would be if there were an openly gay player on the roster.  The attitudes of most of the players when it came to that question can be summed up by the words of quarterback Stephen Rivers.

“If he can play for LSU, he will play for LSU,” the sophomore told the paper.

Notice we said “most,” though.  When asked about a gay man being a member of the Tigers, running back Alfred Blue, well, went here:

“Football is supposed to be this violent sport — this aggressive sport that grown men are supposed to play. Ain’t no little boys out here between them lines. So if you gay, we look at you as a sissy. You know? Like, how you going to say you can do what we do and you want a man?”

Facepalm

In response to the quotes, LSU has issued a statement on behalf of Blue in an attempt to cram the homophobic toothpaste back in the tube.

“I understand that my comments may have sounded insensitive to those who read the Reveille article on Friday,” the player’s statement began. “I in no way meant to belittle any person’s way of life and feel that everyone deserves a chance to become whatever they want to be.  One of my comments that was left out of Friday’s article shows this. I told the reporter that if any person can help to contribute to the team, then that is the bottom line.

“I apologize if anyone was hurt by my comments and also to everyone that I may have let down.”

While there appears to be some significant momentum toward a homosexual football player stepping out of the closet, Blue’s comments make it perfectly clear that such a development would be the first step of what will likely be a long road to acceptance inside the locker room.

SEC shut out of Top 8 for first time since 2006

NEW ORLEANS, LA - JANUARY 01:  Laremy Tunsil #78 of the Mississippi Rebels scores runs in a touchdown during the second quarter against the Oklahoma State Cowboys in the Allstate Sugar Bowl at Mercedes-Benz Superdome on January 1, 2016 in New Orleans, Louisiana.  (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)

Before you SEC fans throw your tomatoes at the screen, remember this: it’s not news when the Pac-12 gets shut out of Top 8.

But it hasn’t been a good day so far for the SEC. After losing the Great Satellite War of 2016 earlier today, the SEC saw eight picks come and go until one of its own had his name called. It was the longest drought to open the draft since 2006, when Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler was the league’s top pick at No. 11.

The full list:

1. Los Angeles Rams — Jared Goff, California
  2. Philadelphia Eagles — Carson Wentz, North Dakota State
  3. San Diego Chargers — Joey Bosa, Ohio State
  4. Dallas Cowboys — Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State
  5. Jacksonville Jaguars — Jalen Ramsey, Florida State
  6. Baltimore Ravens — Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame
  7. San Francisco 49ers — DeForest Buckner, Oregon
  8. Tennessee Titans — Jack Conklin, Michigan State
  9. Chicago Bears — Leonard Floyd, Georgia

And, yes, Laremy Tunsil‘s free fall surely had a lot to do with it.

Another milestone has already been hit as Bosa and Elliott became the first teammates to go in the top five since Oklahoma’s Sam BradfordGerald McCoy and Trent Williams all went in the top four in 2010.

Jared Goff becomes first Cal No. 1 pick since 1975, second Pac-12 No. 1 in four years

at Stanford Stadium on November 21, 2015 in Palo Alto, California.