A couple of days after it was reported that UCF’s appeal to the NCAA was successful, that’s turned out to officially be the case.
In a press release, the school announced Monday that the NCAA granted the football program’s’s appeal of a one-year postseason football ban, making the Knights bowl eligible for the 2013 season. The postseason sanction was originally in effect for the 2012 season, but was pushed back to 2013 because of the school’s appeal.
“I think it was great news for UCF, the UCF football program and the fan base with the appeal committee reversing the decision on the postseason ban,” head coach George O’Leary said in a statement. “President [John] Hitt decided to appeal this ban and I’m glad for UCF and the football program that it turned out in our favor.”
The UCF football program was hit with a number of sanctions last summer for major recruiting violations. Included in the punitive measures were the bowl ban as well as the reduction of five initial (from 25 maximum) and five total (from 85 maximum) football scholarships for three academic years and probation.
The postseason sanction was the only sanction appealed by the school.
“We’re certainly happy with this outcome,” said athletic director Todd Stansbury. “We appealed the postseason ban for football because we felt it went beyond what was supported by the facts, and we’re pleased the Infractions Appeals Committee agreed with us.
“With the appeal process behind us, we’re ready to move forward. Our first season in the American Athletic Conference [formerly the Big East], including the opportunity to play in a bowl game, is right around the corner. It’s an exciting time for the Knights.”
Whatever the reason, the big boy league of football has taken a shining to one particular position on Bret Bielema‘s Arkansas coaching staff.
On Instagram Friday night, Jemal Singleton confirmed that he will be leaving Bielema’s football program. While he didn’t specify it in his post, the running backs coach will be leaving for the same job with the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts.
The 40-year-old Singleton had spent just one season coaching that same position with the Razorbacks.
This marks the second straight year that Bielema will be forced to replace a running backs coach to the NFL. Almost a year to the day, Joel Thomas left Fayetteville for the same position with the New Orleans Saints.
Thomas owed the university $50,000 as part of his buyout last year; Singleton will owe $100,000, per the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. If Singleton had waited until Feb. 16, that buyout figure would’ve been halved.
Unlike the post right before this one, there were signs of an impending on and around National Signing Day earlier this week.
He was notably absent from a signing day event at Walton Arena on Wednesday, and he did not attend another event to discuss the signing class Thursday in Little Rock, fueling speculation he was being courted by another program.
Singleton’s job with the Colts will be the Air Force graduate’s first at the NFL level.
Surprisingly, Mike Riley has a self-made hole on his Nebraska coaching staff.
In a move that wasn’t on most if any radars, Hank Hughes will not return in 2016 as NU’s defensive line coach, Riley revealed Friday. No reason was given for the the departure of the assistant.
“I want to thank Hank for his hard work and contributions to our football program over the past year,” Riley said in a statement. “We continue to build our program with the pursuit of championships always at the forefront of everything we do, and we will look for a great coach, teacher and recruiter to enhance our defense.”
Regardless of the reason or reasons — and the fact that Riley made certain to note that a replacement would be “a great coach, teacher and recruiter” points to at least a couple — it wasn’t an expected development. From the Lincoln Journal Star:
There was no sign of such a move Thursday night, with Hughes present at the Big Red Bash that celebrated the 2016 recruiting class.
Hughes had just completed his first season with the Cornhuskers. Additionally, it was his first season as an assistant on a Riley-led coaching staff.
As the Journal Star notes, Hughes was in the midst of a two-year deal that was to pay him $300,000 annually.
If Roquan Smith is to win a starting linebacking job as some project, he’ll have to do so coming from behind.
Georgia confirmed in a press release Friday that the linebacker underwent successful surgery last month to repair a damaged wrist. As a result, Smith (pictured, No. 3) will be sideline for all of the 15 spring practice sessions that will commence next month.
The good news is that, according to UGA director of sports medicine Ron Courson, “[a] full recovery is anticipated and he [is] expected to fully participate in summer workouts.” Additionally, there should be no limitations placed on Smith’s participation in summer camp that will kick off the beginning of August.
Smith was a four-star member of the Bulldogs’ 2015 recruiting class, rated as the No. 6 outside linebacker in the country; the No. 9 player at any position in the state of Georgia; and the No. 77 recruit overall according to Rivals.com. He was one of the highest-rated players in UGA’s class.
As a true freshman, Smith played in 12 games. He was named as one of the football program’s five Newcomers of the Year following the 2015 season.
As the assistant coach shuffle continues in college football, Boston College is welcoming back a familiar face to the sidelines. Paul Pasqualoni has officially been added to the assistant coaching staff as a defensive line coach. Pasqualoni spent the 2015 football season working as a defensive line coach for the NFL’s Houston Texans. He brings plenty of coaching experience with a 43-year career in the football coaching world, including head coaching stints with Syracuse and UConn.
“It is a great thrill for me to announce the addition of Paul Pasqualoni as the defensive line coach at Boston College,” Boston College head coach Steve Addazio said in a released statement. Addazio started his coaching career as an assistant on Pasqualoni’s Western Connecticut State coaching staff. “His experience, passion for the game, high integrity and knowledge of Boston College and of New England football will be a tremendous asset to our program and to this university.”
Boston College also announced the addition of Rich Gunnell, a former Boston College wide receiver, as a wide receivers coach. Gunnell graduated from Boston College in 2009 after registering 181 receptions for 2,459 yards and 18 touchdowns and serving as a team captain during his college career. He joins BC after two years as a high school head coach in Framingham, Massachusetts.
“It is a dream come true to coach at the school that I played for, was a captain for, did my graduate assistant work at and will work with the exact position that I played,” Gunnell said. “I couldn’t be happier and I feel like I am back at home. Boston College is a small, close-knit community. This place helped mold me into the person that I am today and many of the people who were there when I was in school are still here today. I am just excited to be back around the same people.”
Addazio made a couple of other internal coaching moves with his staff as well. Tight ends coach Frank Leonard has been promoted to assistant head coach and Al Washington will move from special teams coordinator to defensive line coach.