Last spring, Oklahoma State surprised many when freshman Wes Lunt was named the team’s starting quarterback. A year later, Lunt is transferring from the program.
The news was made official in a release on Thursday.
“We appreciate Wes and we thank him for everything he has done,” coach Mike Gundy said. “He’s leaving on good terms and is making this decision based on what he thinks is best for his future.”
Lunt exited this spring in a three-way race with Clint Chelf and J.W. Walsh. Though Gundy refused to name a starter at the time (and indicated he did not plan on doing so anytime soon), this latest move indicates Lunt had been shuffled down the depth chart.
“This was not a decision I took lightly, but it is a decision that I felt was right for me,” Lunt said in a press release. “I would like to express my sincerest gratitude to the entire Oklahoma State University community. Specifically, I would like to thank the coaches, players, and the whole OSU football family. I wish the Cowboys the best of luck in the future.”
Lunt started five games for Oklahoma State last year, but was hampered with head and knee injuries. He finished his freshman season with 1,108 yards passing, six touchdowns and seven interceptions. Where Lunt goes from here remains to be seen. If he decides to transfer to another Division 1-A program, he would have to sit out a year to satisfy NCAA transfer rules.