When the Paterno family, as part of a group of plaintiffs, filed a lawsuit against the NCAA last week, it put college athletics’ governing body on a two-front legal battle; Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett filed his own suit against the NCAA in January in an effort to reverse the sanctions levied against Penn State following the Jerry Sandusky scandal.
Turns out the NCAA will only have to fight one of those lawsuits — for the immediate future, that is.
Per the Associated Press, U.S. Middle District Judge Yvette Kane has thrown out Gov. Corbett’s antitrust suit against the NCAA, citing a lack of “any factual allegations supporting (Corbett’s) allegation of ‘concerted action’ that might nudge its conspiracy claim into ‘plausible’ territory.”
The sanctions, Kane said, did not make for an antitrust case for the plaintiffs.
“The fact that Penn State will offer fewer scholarships over a period of four years does not plausibly support its allegation that the reduction of scholarships at Penn State will result in a market-wide anticompetitive effect, such that the ‘nation’s top scholastic football players’ would be unable to obtain a scholarship in the nationwide market for Division I football players,” Kane explained.
Corbett filed the antitrust suit less than a year after Penn State president Rodney Erickson signed a consent decree from NCAA president Mark Emmert that levied, among other sanctions, a $60 million fine, four-year bowl ban and scholarship reductions on the program. At the time, Corbett went on the record to say Penn State must accept those penalties and his change-of-mind indicates the antitrust suit was nothing more than political grandstanding.
The NCAA filed a motion to dismiss Corbett’s case in February.
But what does this latest move mean for the Paterno family suit? NCAA guru John Infante explained last week in a Q&A that the two cases are similar in that both sought a reverse in PSU’s sanctions, so this decision could indicate the chances of success of the Paterno family suit in terms of overturning the penalties. Whether it actually does or not remains to be seen.
A little over two months after getting the boot from Syracuse, Ashton Broyld has found himself a new college football home.
Multiple outlets have picked up on the fact that Broyld is now playing for Div. II West Georgia. Broyld left the Orange listed as a running back, but is playing wide receiver according to the team’s official roster.
There was already a familiar face in the locker room upon Broyld’s arrival as Wayne Williams is playing defensive tackle for the Wolves. Williams announced in late June that he had decided to transfer out of Scott Shafer‘s ‘Cuse program.
“I checked in on them,” Shafer said of his two former players Thursday. “I’m happy to see those guys are still playing football.”
In 2013, Broyld led the team in both receptions (52) and receiving yards (452). Broyld was the Orange’s leading receiver through the first three games last season before a lower-leg injury caused him to miss eight of the last nine games.
In late July, Broyld was dismissed for violating unspecified team rules.
In the midst of reports that he had a physical altercation with one of his Tennessee players during summer camp this year, Butch Jones labeled the speculation “absolutely ridiculous.”
Apparently, his bosses agree with the head coach.
At a board meeting Thursday, UT-Knoxville chancellor Jimmy Cheek stated that he and athletic director Dave Hart had done their “due diligence” in investigating the accusations that Jones and senior offensive lineman Mack Crowder were involved in some type of physical skirmish during practice this past August. The end result of interviews with Jones, coaches and players was the conclusion that there was nothing to the reports and message-board rumors.
“There’s been a lot of rumor and misinformation on social media and message boards about an alleged incident during football practice,” Cheek said according to GoVols247.com‘s Wes Rucker. “It’s not our practice to respond to rumors, but I thought it was important to let you know that we’ve done our due diligence and Dave Hart and I are very confident there was no inappropriate conduct with any players or coaches.”
Shortly after Cheek spoke at the board meeting, Crowder took to Twitter with a series of missives that speaks around the issue.