Skip to content

No felony charges for ex-NCAA investigator in Dyron Dye complaint

Dyron Dye AP

Earlier this month, Miami football player Dyron Dye filed an incident report with the Coral Gables police department in which it was alleged that an NCAA investigator had “coerced” Dye into making statements that benefited The Association’s case against the Hurricanes.

In the end, Dye’s attempt to hold the NCAA accountable for alleged shady investigative tactics fell short.

According to the South Florida Sun Sentinel, no felony charges will be brought against former NCAA investigator Rich Johanningmeier.  The paper writes that “Coral Gables police referred the case to the Miami-Dade State Attorney office without attaching any felony charges.”

Dye could still pursue misdemeanor charges against Johanningmeier, with the player’s attorney, Darren Heitner, telling the Sun Sentinel that they “will discuss internally and make a calculated decision” on their next legal step.

In the original police report, Dye had alleged that he felt coerced by Johanningmeier “into providing favorable answers for his investigation” into the Nevin Shapiro allegations that landed UM in front of the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions late last week.  A decision on any penalties on the football program in addition to the self-imposed two-year bowl ban is expected no later than eight weeks from last Friday.

Dye was suspended for the first  four games of the 2011 season in connection to his involvement in the Shapiro scandal.  It was shown by the NCAA in August of that year that Dye received from Shapiro and “UM athletics personnel” $738 in impermissible benefits during a recruitment that led to the player signing on as part of the Hurricanes’ 2009 recruiting class.  Those benefits included five nights of impermissible lodging from institutional staff during their unofficial visits — an allegation directly tied to former UM assistant Aubry Hill — transportation, multiple meals and entertainment at a gentleman’s club.

With the suspension served and monetary restitution made, Dye returned to play in six games in what was his redshirt sophomore season after making the switch from the defensive line to tight end.  He then played 12 games at that position in 2012.

Dye moved back to the line following the 2012 season.  He suffered an Achilles injury during the first scrimmage this past spring and is out indefinitely, leaving his status for the 2013 season up in the air even prior to his remaining eligibility allegedly being threatened by a then-member of the NCAA’s investigative arm.

Permalink 4 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlantic Coast Conference, Miami Hurricanes, Rumor Mill, Top Posts
4 Responses to “No felony charges for ex-NCAA investigator in Dyron Dye complaint”
  1. necr0philia says: Jun 19, 2013 1:48 AM

    Let the U hate comments begin!!

  2. thegonz13 says: Jun 19, 2013 6:52 AM

    All that for a measly $738?

    Boy, the NCAA has way too much time on its hands…

  3. rponciano says: Jun 19, 2013 4:06 PM

    So they dodged another bullet, I wonder what’s going to happen when a ongoing case actually gets in front of a judge. And it won’t be about Impermissible or unethical tactics, it will be about flat out lieing. And to make it more interesting, it will be about the Infractions commitee and Mr Emmert doing nothing about it, even after knowing it took place.

  4. gotampabay52 says: Jun 19, 2013 8:52 PM

    FU CANES HATERS

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!