In a statement last Monday, the U.S. Naval Academy announced that three current and former Navy football players would be charged with rape stemming from an incident that occurred in April of 2012. Since the case is still headed toward an Article 32 hearing, which determine if there is evidence to proceed to a court-martial, the names of the three suspects have not been officially released.
However, the Associated Press says it has identified the three suspects in the case: defensive backs Tra’ves Bush and Eric Graham. and linebacker Josh Tate. Bush’s grandfather told the AP his grandson had a previous relationship with the woman making the claims, but that the midshipman didn’t know about the alleged assault.
The younger Bush declined comment to the AP. “I’m not speaking on anything regarding that situation,” he said.
Tate and Graham’s names first appeared in connection to the case via The (Annapolis, Md.) Capital. The two could not be reached for comment for the AP story.
The three midshipmen connected to the case are accused of violating two articles of the Uniform Code of Military Justice: one charge of rape, sexual assault or other sexual misconduct, and another for making a false official statement.
As a senior, Bush was the team’s second-leading tackler in 2012 with 88 tackles. His graduation has reportedly been put on hold as the case unfolds. Tate is the only player still on the team, though he is currently suspended.
All three players were permitted to play football for the Midshipmen as the investigation into the alleged rape continued, and according to the Washington Post, the female midshipman was required to attend football games last fall. The investigation was initially closed in November only to be reopened later after the alleged victim’s attorney spoke to NCIS.
You know how I know we’re gradually creeping up on the end of another regular season? Watch lists are being whittled.
The first major honor to do so is the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, which is given out annually to the best quarterback who is a college senior or fourth-year junior. The preseason watch list was 30 quarterbacks strong; the newest list has been cut in half to 15.
The most recent list includes one of the top Heisman contenders (TCU’s Trevone Boykin) and the top two nationally in passing yards (Bowling Green’s Matt Johnson, Western Kentucky’s Brandon Doughty), as well as a quarterback who’s closing in on the all-time FBS record for rushing touchdowns (Navy’s Keenan Reynolds).
The Pac-12 leads all conferences with three watch listers, followed by two each from the AAC, ACC and Big Ten. The SEC has as many players (one, Mississippi State’s Dak Prescott) as the FCS (North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz).
Last year’s winner was Marcus Mariota of Oregon.
Trevone Boykin, TCU
Jacoby Brissett, NC State
Connor Cook, Michigan State
Brandon Doughty, WKU
Everett Golson, Florida State
Kevin Hogan, Stanford
Matt Johnson, Bowling Green
Cody Kessler, USC
Paxton Lynch, Memphis
Dak Prescott, Mississippi State
Keenan Reynolds, Navy
Nate Sudfeld, Indiana
Carson Wentz, N. Dakota State
Marquise Williams, North Carolina
Travis Wilson, Utah
D’haquille Williams may have some additional explaining to do to NFL personnel if another report is accurate.
Monday night, Auburn announced that the star wide receiver had been dismissed from Gus Malzahn‘s football program. A day later, reports surfaced that Williams’ dismissal came after he went on a weekend “bar rampage” following one of his friends getting the heave-ho from a local drinking establishment over a dress-code issue. It was alleged that Williams had punched a pair of security guards, a bartender’s assistant and an unnamed patron of the bar.
The unnamed, however, now has a name.
According to the ABC affiliate in Montgomery, Ala., and a citing a source close to the AU program, Tigers center Xavier Dampeer‘s jaw was on the receiving end of one of Williams’ alleged punches. The website wrote that “Dampeer has been treated and released from East Alabama Medical Center, according to a worker at the hospital.”
Malzahn was asked Tuesday if any other Tiger players were involved in the incident. “I’m not going to get into any details,” the coach said according to al.com.
No charges have been filed in connection to the incident.
“We cannot file charges until the injured person(s) comes forward,” Auburn police chief Paul Register told the television station. “Unless an officer personally sees a fight, no arrests can be made.”