Midshipmen

AP identifies three connected to Navy sexual assault case

In a statement last Monday, the U.S. Naval Academy announced that three current and former Navy football players would be charged with rape stemming from an incident that occurred in April of 2012. Since the case is still headed toward an Article 32 hearing, which determine if there is evidence to proceed to a court-martial, the names of the three suspects have not been officially released.

However, the Associated Press says it has identified the three suspects in the case: defensive backs Tra’ves Bush and Eric Graham. and linebacker Josh Tate. Bush’s grandfather told the AP his grandson had a previous relationship with the woman making the claims, but that the midshipman didn’t know about the alleged assault.

The younger Bush declined comment to the AP. “I’m not speaking on anything regarding that situation,” he said.

Tate and Graham’s names first appeared in connection to the case via The (Annapolis, Md.) Capital. The two could not be reached for comment for the AP story.

The three midshipmen connected to the case are accused of violating two articles of the Uniform Code of Military Justice: one charge of rape, sexual assault or other sexual misconduct, and another for making a false official statement.

As a senior, Bush was the team’s second-leading tackler in 2012 with 88 tackles. His graduation has reportedly been put on hold as the case unfolds. Tate is the only player still on the team, though he is currently suspended.

All three players were permitted to play football for the Midshipmen as the investigation into the alleged rape continued, and according to the Washington Post, the female midshipman was required to attend football games last fall. The investigation was initially closed in November only to be reopened later after the alleged victim’s attorney spoke to NCIS.

Oregon president takes thinly-veiled shot at Brady Hoke

CORVALLIS, OR - NOVEMBER 26: Defensive coordinator Brady Hoke of the Oregon Ducks dresses his players during the third quarter of the game against the Oregon State Beavers at Reser Stadium on November 26, 2016 in Corvallis, Oregon. The Beavers won 34-24. (Photo by Steve Dykes/Getty Images)

Brady Hoke had a miserable one-and-done at Oregon, and this piling on just adds to it.

Brought in to turnaround the Ducks’ defense, Hoke instead was in charge of one of the worst units in the country.  Their play, in very large part, helped bring an abrupt end to Mark Helfrich‘s three-year tenure in Eugene.

Helfrich was officially replaced by USF’s Willie Taggart earlier this week.  The boss of Taggart’s boss, UO president Michael Schill, had one piece of advice and one piece of advice alone for his new head football coach.

Can we take that as confirmation that Hoke won’t be retained by the new regime?  At least statistically, though, the president has a point, no matter how clumsily or ill-advised it may have been.

Out of the 128 teams listed on the NCAA’s official stats website, the Ducks were 126th in scoring and yards allowed; 121st in third-down percentage and rushing yards allowed; 117th in turnovers forced; and 114th in passing yards. Last season, the Ducks were 114th in scoring and 116th in yards.

And Taggart’s defense this season? The Bulls were 86th in scoring defense and 120th in yards allowed.  So, there’s that.

Malik Zaire pens thank-you note to Notre Dame students, staff

SOUTH BEND, IN - SEPTEMBER 10: Malik Zaire #9 of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish throws a pass in the second half against the Nevada Wolf Pack at Notre Dame Stadium on September 10, 2016 in South Bend, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)