Kevin Sumlin’s support helped overturn Manziel’s suspension

8 Comments

In the wake of Johnny Manziel‘s tweet earlier this month in which he wrote that he “can’t wait to leave College Station,” a report surfaced that the Texas A&M quarterback had been suspended for the 2012 season following an offseason arrest.  That suspension, the report stated, had the quarterback seriously considering a transfer.

It never got to that point, obviously, as the punishment was overturned as part of the school’s appeals process and Manziel went on to win the Heisman Trophy in his first season as a starter.  Not so unexpectedly, his head coach played a role in getting the suspension overturned.

The Daily Oklahoman writes that “the overturn came, in part, because of the backing of Aggie coach and former OU assistant Kevin Sumlin, who wrote a letter in support of Manziel during the appeal process.”  According to the coach, the letter of support didn’t come out of fear of losing a starter — Manziel was behind Jameill Showers entering summer camp and wasn’t named the starter until two weeks before the season opener — but rather due to the fact that he was taking steps to comply with the other internal punishment meted out and taking those steps seriously.

“A lot has been said about discipline, but he went through all that, which is a little bit more than people think,” Sumlin told the paper at a golf outing in Edmond, Okla., Tuesday. “That’s not a public deal, it’s just what I ask him to do. He did all those things and his parents were involved in all of that. So for him to go through that, then go through camp and those types of things and earn the job, that’s what’s brought him to where he is now.”

Suffice to say, the overturn might have been the Aggies’ biggest win in a highly-successful debut season in the SEC, but the road hasn’t gotten any easier for the player or the program in the offseason.  Manziel has been connected to several mostly overblown “controversies” the past few months, but Sumlin said the fact that his rock-star player is back on campus and with his teammates preparing for summer camp is helping to calm what’s been an offseason full of rough water.

“It’s been really hard,” Sumlin said when asked about the past six months or so for Manziel. “You know, he’s a young guy. And because of that, he is who he is and he’s made some mistakes. Everybody knows that. But right now, I think for him to be back, we have summer school going, we have fall camp coming up. Him being back with his teammates, that’s a good deal, good for him.”

Thanks to the constant tumult, there might not be a person in the country more anxious to get the 2013 season started than Manziel.  Well, other than Sumlin and his coaching staff, of course.

Stanford schedules 2018 game against FCS UC Davis

Getty Images
2 Comments

Let this post serve as your annual reminder that Notre Dame, UCLA and UCLA remain the only FBS programs who have never played a game against or scheduled a game with a team from the FCS/Div. 1-AA.

In that vein, Stanford announced Wednesday that it has scheduled a 2018 game against UC Davis.  That game will, of course, be played at the Cardinal’s football home, Stanford Stadium, on Sept. 15 of that year.

The two football programs have met three times previously, the last coming in 2014.  The Cardinal holds a 2-1 advantage in the miniseries, with the lone loss coming back in 2005

In addition to the game against the FCS program, Stanford also has 2018 non-conference games scheduled with San Diego State, at home, and Notre Dame, in South Bend.  Their Pac-12 schedule that season consists of home games against Oregon State, USC, Utah, and Washington State as well as road trips to Arizona State, California, Oregon, UCLA, and Washington.

Other future non-conference games, with the annual rivalry game versus Notre Dame a given, include Boston College, BYU, Kansas State, Northwestern, TCU and Vanderbilt.

Starting slotback leaves Army for Elon

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Even as Tyler Campbell seemed determined to transfer from the Army football program, head coach Jeff Monken had held out hope that the starting slotback would reverse course and return to the service academy.  In the end, that hope proved futile.

According to Sal Interdonato of HudsonValley.com, Campbell has followed through with his departure plans and has transferred to Elon.  As the Phoenix play at the FCS level, Campbell will be eligible to play immediately in 2017.

A third-year junior, Campbell will have two seasons of eligibility at his disposal.

Last season, Campbell started 11 of the 13 games in which he played.  He ran for 326 yards on 34 carries — his 9.6 yards per carry was tops on the Black Knights — while adding another 71 yards on a pair of receptions.  He saved his best for last, rushing for a career-high 88 yards, including a 70-yard touchdown, in the Heart of Dallas Bowl win over North Texas.

While in the offensive backfield at Army, he’ll play in the defensive backfield at Elon as he’s currently listed as a cornerback for the Phoenix.

Title IX probe finds football players violated Michigan State policy

Getty Images
2 Comments

The next step in an ongoing controversy in East Lansing has been taken, and it could, eventually, prove costly for some members of the football program.

This week, Michigan State confirmed that the Title IX investigation into allegations that three unnamed Spartan football players had sexually assaulted a woman in January had come to a conclusion. Citing privacy laws, however, the university will not be releasing the findings of the probe.

The school has subsequently confirmed, though, that the investigation found that the three players had committed unspecified violations of school policy. With that finding, the case will now go through the university’s student conduct system.

That body could levy sanctions on the players that range from a warning to probation to suspension or even expulsion from the university.

The alleged sexual assault has spawned three separate investigations, including the recently-completed Title IX probe.  A criminal investigation conducted by campus police led to requests for four arrest warrants to be issued, although the Ingham County Prosecutor’s office has thus far declined to act.  Additionally, the university has hired an outside law firm to conduct an independent investigation into the football program and its handling of the allegations.

Thus far, the names of the players allegedly involved in the assault have not been released, although all three have been indefinitely suspended since early February.  The suspended staffer was subsequently identified as Curtis Blackwell, whose title with the football program is director of college advancement and performance.  Blackwell, who is not accused of participating in the alleged sexual assault but rather a non-sexual crime after the fact, has received a pair of one-month contract extensions since his suspension was levied.

Ex-Oregon QB Terry Wilson to take JUCO route

Getty Images
1 Comment

As Terry Wilson looks to restart his football playing career, he’ll do so at a much lower rung on the collegiate ladder than which he started.

On his personal Twitter account Tuesday, Wilson announced that he will play for Garden City Community College, a junior college in Kansas, in 2017.  GCCC was the top team at the JUCO level in 2016, going undefeated last season.

The move comes a month or so after the quarterback decided to transfer from Oregon.

A three-star member of the Ducks’ 2016 recruiting class, Wilson was rated as the No. 9 dual-threat quarterback in the country and the No. 2 player at any position in the state of Oklahoma.  He had originally committed to Nebraska before signing with UO.

After taking a redshirt as a true freshman, Wilson began spring practice this year as the No. 2 quarterback.  However, he quickly tumbled to at least third on the depth chart, which triggered the decision to transfer.