Oregon received good news earlier today when the findings into its NCAA case on recruiting violations were released. The Ducks came out of the two-year-plus investigation with minimal scholarship losses and some recruiting restrictions, but no bowl ban. In fact, the stiffest sanction was placed on former head coach Chip Kelly, who was given an 18-month show-cause penalty.
We hinted earlier that it would be surprising if UO appealed the decision. And they won’t. Speaking during a press conference Wednesday afternoon, athletic director Rob Mullens (pictured) confirmed the program will not fight the COI’s ruling.
This investigation has been going on a long time and the report says the university was cooperative the entire way. Given how well Oregon came out of it, there was no debate about what to do.
“No one wants to be in this position. So I don’t think anybody’s happy. We’re pleased to be at the end of the process,” Mullens said.