AAron Hernandez

Gainesville PD confirms Aaron Hernandez ‘questioned very briefly’ in ’07 shooting


The sad, sordid soap opera that is Aaron Hernandez would not normally fall under the purview of CFT, but a confirmed development has prompted us to at least dip our toes into the evolving tragedy.

Following up on the speculation in the days since the now-former New England Patriots player was arrested on a first-degree murder charge — and his potential role in a double homicide last year has seen the public light — Gainesville police confirmed to the Gainesville Sun Saturday that Hernandez was “questioned very briefly” in regards to a shooting in late September of 2007 that injured two individuals.  From the Sun:

Corey T. Smith, now 33, and Justin E. Glass, now 24, were in a car stopped in westbound traffic when Smith, the passenger, was shot in the head. Glass was shot in the arm by a man police said walked up to the car and fired several shots from a handgun.

Several members of the Gators at the time were interviewed by police in connection to the shootings, including Hernandez as well as, the paper reported, players such as Reggie Nelson and the Pouncey twins, Mike and Maurkice.

“Hernandez’s name came up once in the report and he was questioned very briefly,” Gainesville police officer Ben Tobias told the paper. “Anytime we have an incident like that, we investigate and follow any lead whatsoever. We got his name as being in the area of that club, so we questioned him.”

No arrests have been made and the case remains open.

Hernandez played for the Gators from 2007-10 and was a member of Urban Meyer‘s third UF recruiting class.  Meyer, now the head coach at Ohio State, has come under scrutiny since his former player’s arrest, with the New York Times publishing an exposé in which the paper wrote that the coach said the talented but troubled player “had been rehabilitated with daily Bible study sessions that the coach conducted personally.”

Big 12 eschews two-division setup; instead, top two teams to play in league title game

WVU vs Marshall
Associated Press

The Big 12 earlier this month eschewed expansion.  A short time later, they’ve done the same for splitting up the conference.

The league announced late Friday morning that, when the conference championship game returns for the 2017 season, there will be no split into two five-team divisions.  Instead, the teams with the best and second-best record in conference play will square off in the conference championship game.

Each conference member will continue to play nine league games every season, one against each other member.

“There are a number of advantages to matching our top two teams,” said commissioner Bob Bowlsby in a statement. “Given our round-robin, nine-game scheduling model, it is expected the Big 12 champion will be uniquely positioned for College Football Playoff consideration. I would argue there will be no path more difficult than our champion’s, where it will have played every team in the Conference, faced at least one Autonomy Conference non-conference opponent, and then plays in our championship game.

“The guaranteed No. 1 vs. No. 2 matchup will be a great game for our fans, and it’s hard to imagine a stronger position for a conference champion.”

The release gave no indication as to how three-way ties would be handled, although CFP rankings would likely come into play.  The decision to not split into two divisions likely won’t sit well with the league’s coaches, however, even as it’s arguably the wisest decision the conference has made in years.

The conference also revealed that the site of the 2017 conference championship game “will be announced in the coming weeks.” AT&T Stadium in Arlington, the home of the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys, is widely believed to be the front-runner for at least the first renewal, and is viewed as the far and away favorite if the league opts to “anchor” the game at one site for a period of years.

USC cruised to win over a ‘tired, beat-up’ Cal team as Sonny Dykes chastises scheduling ‘travesty’

LOS ANGELES, CA - OCTOBER 27:  Running back Ronald Jones II #25 of the USC Trojans scores a touchdown to take a 14-0 lead over the California Golden Bears during the first quarter at Los Angeles Coliseum on October 27, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

The Pac-12 schedule makers started the final nail in Cal’s Week 9 coffin. USC’s offense proceeded to drive it all the home.

Behind a career night for both Ronald Jones and Sam Darnold, the Trojans jumped out to a 28-10 halftime and ultimately cruised to a 45-24 win. Both Jones and Darnold set career highs on the night, the former with 223 yards rushing and the latter five touchdown passes.

Those two players were part of an offense that rolled up a season-high 629 yards of offense.  It was the schedule, though, that saw a significant amount of the focus on the game, especially in the days leading up to it and the immediate aftermath.

Cal’s last game was Friday, Oct. 21.  USC’s last game?  Oct. 15, meaning the Bears, on five days rest, were facing a team coming off a bye, and facing them on the road no less.

“It’s one of those deals where you go, ‘How in the world could this ever happen? How could somebody let this happen?'” head coach Sonny Dykes said in the middle of the week. “It has been a disaster, it’s been a mess. … It’s incredibly hard on our kids.”


“We looked like a tired, beat-up football team. I think it’s a travesty whoever scheduled this game. I hope the Pac-12 doesn’t do that again to any other school. It’s not right for the kids.

“Everybody talks about student-athlete welfare, but they need to put their money where their mouth is.”

Leave it to the esteemed Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News to sum up what most non-USC fans are thinking about the situation the Bears were placed in.

Hopefully this player safety issue — and that is, ultimately, what this is all about — is rectified by the Pac-12 and, as Dykes alluded, never repeated. For a conference that’s been (rightly) praised for their initiatives in the past, they certainly dropped the scheduling ball on this one.

FSU will be without Bobo Wilson, too, for Clemson

TALLAHASSEE, FL - OCTOBER 01: Jesus Wilson #3 of the Florida State Seminoles runs the ball during the game agains the North Carolina Tar Heels at Doak Campbell Stadium on October 1, 2016 in Tallahassee, Florida. (Photo by Jeff Gammons/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Derwin James isn’t the only starter Florida State will be missing when they take on Clemson in a huge ACC Atlantic matchup.

Thursday night, Jimbo Fisher confirmed that Bobo Wilson has officially been ruled out of Saturday’s game because of a foot injury. The wide receiver suffered the injury in the Week 7 win over Wake Forest.

As FSU was on a bye last weekend, this will be the first game the senior has missed because of the injury.

As the school noted, Wilson being sidelined will open up the opportunity for additional playing time for a trio of sophomore receivers: Nyqwan Murray, Da’Vante Phillips and Auden Tate.

“You’re talking about a guy who’s played a lot of games, played a lot of ball, done a lot of things, and played in a lot of big-time environments and atmospheres,” Fisher said of Wilson in quotes distributed by the team. “That all sounds good on paper.

“Now, do I think [these younger receivers] can go out there and play? Yes. Do I think they can be really good players? Yes. Have they practiced well? Yes. [Tate] has done more in games so far, but they have a chance to be really good players. I’m hoping they go out there and play.”

Tate leads the Seminoles with four touchdown receptions, and he’s done that with just eight receptions. Murray has five catches for 46 yards this season, Phillips four for 33.

Wilson, who is 10th in school history with 133 catches, is currently second on the team with 30 receptions for 390 yards in 2016. His 26 career starts are the most of any current Seminole offensive player.

Offense won’t be the only place where Wilson’s loss is felt as he is fourth in the nation heading into Week 9 with a 17.2 yards average on nine punt returns. One of those punts he returned 89 yards for a touchdown in the Week 2 win over Charleston Southern, the third-longest in school history and the program’s first of any length since 2012.

Starting Northwestern CB ruled out vs. Ohio State

Michigan State tight end Josiah Price, left, catches a pass for a touchdown against Northwestern's Trae Williams during the first quarter of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Oct. 15, 2016, in East Lansing, Mich. (AP Photo/Al Goldis)
Associated Press
Leave a comment

Struggling mightily in the passing game, Ohio State may have caught a bit of a break as the Buckeyes look to rebound from just their fifth in the four-plus years under Urban Meyer.

On Northwestern’s official injury report, cornerback Trae Williams is listed as out for the Wildcats’ Week 9 matchup with the Buckeyes in Columbus. Williams is dealing with an injury that the school has not specified.

The redshirt freshman also missed the Week 8 win over Indiana because of the injury.

Prior to that, Williams had started the previous four games, the first four starts of his collegiate career. This season, Williams has been credited with 20 tackles and has one of the Wildcats’ seven interceptions.

With Williams sidelined, Alonzo Mayo will get the start opposite Montre Hartage. The redshirt freshman made his first career start in place of Williams last weekend.