Michael Dyer

A self-proclaimed ‘changed’ man, Michael Dyer hoping for one last FBS shot


To say that Michael Dyer’s life on and off the football field has gone downhill over the past couple of years would be the understatement to end all understatements.

Now, though, the the former running back swears he’s a changed man.

Speaking to ESPN.com‘s Joe Schad, Dyer stated that he “[wants] a chance to show people my character is better than it was in the past.”  Two years removed from this level, Dyer is hoping to get one last shot with an FBS program.

I want to clear my name,” Dyer told Schad. “I understand the reasons I am in this situation. I placed myself here. I take responsibility. …

Unfortunately for Dyer, but understandably at the same time, no FBS program from automatic qualifying conferences has shown the least bit of interest.

“I understand their reasoning of not taking me,” Dyer said. “It’s been very, very hard. But I’m not the same person I was. I’ve changed. I’ve grown up.”

The fact that no top-tier team wants to take a chance on the talented but troubled player is hardly surprising.

In January of 2011 as a freshman, Dyer was named the offensive MVP of Auburn’s BCS title game win.  After rushing for 1,000 yards each of his first two seasons with the Tigers, Dyer was “granted a release from his scholarship” in January of 2012, one month after he was suspended for the Tigers’ appearance in the Chick-fil-A Bowl for failing multiple drug tests.  He transferred to Arkansas State that same month in a reunion with former AU offensive coordinator and then-ASU head coach Gus Malzahn; six months later, he was dismissed by Malzahn for “undisclosed violations of team rules.”

In August of 2012, Dyer landed at Arkansas Baptist, where he sat out the football season to focus on academics.

In April of this year, it was reported that Dyer would take a visit to TCU.  Shortly after a report surfaced that Dyer “should’ve” been declared academically ineligible for the BCS title game against Oregon, that visit was scuttled.  That same month, Dyer expressed an interest in playing for Arkansas, although the Razorbacks did not reciprocate the interest.

The glimmer of hope for Dyer is that, according to his uncle, two FBS programs have shown interest.  One of those, Western Kentucky, is coached by former Arkansas head coach Bobby Petrino.  The Sun Belt’s Troy is the other FBS team, while FCS-level Illinois State is another to show interest.

If Dyer is unable to find a new football home at the collegiate level, he will likely make himself available for the NFL’s supplemental draft this month.

Starting LB C.J. Johnson reveals surgery on social media, Ole Miss confirms

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Ole Miss will be without a starting piece of its defensive puzzle for an extended period of time, both the player and the school revealed Tuesday.

With rumors swirling about his condition, C.J. Johnson confirmed on his personal Twitter account late this morning that he will be undergoing surgery at some point in the not-too-distant future.  The linebacker sustained an injury to his left knee in last Saturday’s loss to Florida and did not return to the contest.

Subsequent to that posting, Ole Miss confirmed that Johnson underwent surgery earlier in the day to repair a torn meniscus in his knee.  The procedure and rehab will sideline Johnson for a period of 4-6 weeks.

At the low-end of the prognosis, Johnson would miss the next four games — New Mexico State, Memphis, Texas A&M, Auburn — and return for the Nov. 7 game against Arkansas.  The high-end would have him sidelined until the regular-season finale against Mississippi State.

Johnson had started all five games at middle linebacker for the Rebels.  He started 26 games at defensive end the past three years before moving to linebacker.

Butch Jones labels rumor of ‘physical altercation’ with Vols player ‘absolutely ridiculous’

ATHENS, GA - SEPTEMBER 27:  Head coach Butch Jones of the Tennessee Volunteers yells at Marquez North #8 during the game against the Georgia Bulldogs at Sanford Stadium on September 27, 2014 in Athens, Georgia.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Already in the crosshairs for his 2-3 team’s late-game failures, Butch Jones now finds himself under increasing scrutiny for something that allegedly happened a couple of months ago.

The website Gridiron.com, which features such respected journalists Tony Barnhart and Mike Huguenin among others, reported earlier today that the Tennessee head coach was involved in what was described as a “physical altercation” with senior offensive lineman Mack Crowder during summer camp this past August.  The source close to the program added that practice film that day captured the alleged incident, although it’s unclear if that tapes still exists.

From the site’s report:

The incident occurred during fall camp, about the time that news started to come out about a few offensive linemen who were considering stepping away from the program. Crowder walked off the practice field one day and missed a day or two of practice, and Brett Kendrick and Dylan Wiesman were said to be contemplating their futures. Sources say the players’ actions stemmed from an incident between Jones and Crowder.

The website also made a Freedom of Information request seeking any correspondence between the university and the Crowder family be turned over, but writes that UT “administrators said any sort of letter or correspondence that may or may not have happened was covered under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.”

Monday, Jones labeled what began as message-board speculation that he had struck one of his Vols players as “absolutely ridiculous.” The Knoxville News Sentinel contacted Crowder’s father, with the paper writing that “he had no comment and did not want to give validation to message boards.”

At least publicly, the university has yet to address the allegations.  Jones will get yet another chance to address the speculation with the media in the very near future.