Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde was connected… and then reportedly cleared… only to be re-connected later… to an alleged assault of a female victim earlier this month.
But it looks like Hyde won’t face charges in the incident. Columbus police told multiple outlets today that the running back will not be charged with assault because the woman involved does not want to pursue the case. Since the decision was made by the woman, the case is considered closed.
Hyde was originally named a “person of interest” related to the incident, which occurred at a Columbus night club. Two reports — one from Yahoo! Sports and another from an NBC affiliate in Columbus — later came out with conflicting information over whether Hyde did anything wrong.
Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer still has not commented on Hyde’s status since suspending him over a week ago.
Hyde rushed for 970 yards and 16 touchdowns for the Buckeyes last season. He is expected to start for Ohio State this year.
Update 2:00 p.m. ET: The alleged victim has released a statement on the decision not to press charges. Here it is in its entirety via NBC4 in Columbus:
Keeping in mind what is for me and my family I have decided to refrain from filing charges at this time.
Some of the media has rushed to judgment regarding the incident to ensure they are the first to report the information, whether it be factual or false. This has been overwhelming, frustrating and disappointing. It is unimaginable to be exposed to these false reports, claims and rumors and for anticipated 4 months expected to bring this incident to a conclusion.
I would like to thank the Columbus Police department for their patience and professionalism they showed conducting their investigation. They have advised me I have up to two years to consider criminal charges.
I believe the video, if released, will speak for itself when shown in its entirety and not edited or censored.
Lovie Smith is not a big fan of fighting amongst his Illinois players, a lesson he shared with his aptly nicknamed Fighting Illini squad Wednesday evening.
According to the Decatur Herald & Review, Illinois’ spring practice session yesterday came to an abrupt and premature end after a fight between players broke out. The names of those involved in the fisticuffs are not known as the media hadn’t been permitted to view practice.
From the Herald & Review‘s report:
…a source said Smith wanted to send a strong message about how he hates fighting and considers it an inexcusable transgression that robs the rest of the team of a chance to concentrate on getting better.
The field was cleared at about 5:35 p.m., nearly an hour before practice was scheduled to end. The players were sent to the locker room and the field was quickly cleared of equipment. Reporters were told there would be no interviews and were told to vacate the Memorial Stadium facility.
The Illini, which finished 3-9 in their first season under Smith last year, kicked off spring practice feb. 14 and will conclude it March 10 with the annual spring game.
With spring practice getting set to kick of en masse all across the country, there’s more of the expected personnel attrition settling in and coming to light.
On his Twitter account Wednesday, Andy Dodd announced that it is in his “best interest” to transfer from LSU and continue playing college football elsewhere. “This decision was not an easy one, but it is what’s best for me moving forward,” the offensive lineman wrote.
Dodd was a three-star member of the Tigers’ 2013 recruiting class, rated as the No. 17 guard in the country.
After taking a redshirt as a true freshman, the lineman played in eight games the next two seasons. He played in six games, with one start, in 2016.
Another graduate transfer has made a move, albeit with a slightly different bent than most others.
Auburn confirmed Wednesday that Casey Dunn has been added to Gus Malzahn‘s football roster. The center comes to The Plains as a graduate transfer, which makes him eligible for the 2017 season.
He also comes to Auburn from Jacksonville State, an FCS school that would’ve made him immediately eligible aside from the grad transfer exception. Oh, and his new position coach is excited to have him in the personnel fold as well.
The past two seasons, Dunn was an FCS All-American. While Dunn comes to the Tigers as a center who started 27 games at that position for the Gamecocks, he could play anywhere along the interior of the Tigers’ offensive line.
Malzahn is also very familiar with Dunn’s talent as the lineman started for the JSU squad that took him to overtime in 2015.
Earlier this week, Brad Lambert added a longtime Power Five assistant to his Charlotte coaching staff. Not long after, he has added another.
The 49ers announced in a release that Keith Henry has been hired by Lambert as his running backs coach. The 49ers’ coach at that position last season, Damien Gary, will shift to wide receivers.
Henry and Lambert (pictured, left) were on the same staff at Wake Forest, so they have a previous working relationship.
“Keith brings a lot of experience to our program,” said Lambert in a statement. “Having coached on both sides of the ball, he brings an added dimension of a defensive perspective to our offense. We’re really glad he’s coming on board with us. He’s a North Carolina native who’s played in North Carolina and has recruited for many, many years in North and South Carolina. That will be a huge benefit to our program with the relationships he’s built over the years.
“He’s been very successful and been a part of winning football at Ohio, Wake Forest and Catawba.”
Henry spent 11 seasons with the Demon Deacons (2001-11). He coached on the defensive side of the ball for the first 10 years before spending his final season with the ACC school as special teams coordinator. His last job on the offensive side of the ball came as wide receivers coach at Ohio in 1996.