Skip to content

Wake Forest’s leading rusher from ’12 ruled ineligible

Josh Harris AP

Wake Forest has lost an important piece of their offense for 2013. Assuming he isn’t given a special waiver from the NCAA, that is.

The university confirmed to the AP on Thursday that Josh Harris, the team’s leading rusher from 2012, is ineligible. Wake Forest has asked the NCAA for a waiver to restore Harris’ eligibility and a final decision should come in the next couple of weeks.

The school did not expand on why Harris was ineligible, but Demon Deacons coach Jim Grobe told the Winston-Salem Journal on Wednesday that it was related to academics.

“This is disappointing because it could be his (college) career,” Grobe told the paper. “Usually, you aren’t shocked when young guys do stuff, but when the old guys get in this position you feel more because they’re out of time. There’s no wiggle room left. So that’s what’s disappointing.”

Harris, a senior, rushed for 608 yards and five touchdowns last year.

Additionally, linebacker Zach Allen is ineligible for academic reasons. The school has also applied for a special waiver to get him cleared to return.

Permalink 2 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlantic Coast Conference, Rumor Mill, Top Posts, Wake Forest Demon Deacons
2 Responses to “Wake Forest’s leading rusher from ’12 ruled ineligible”
  1. canetic says: Aug 1, 2013 8:57 PM

    Football school.

  2. thegamecocker says: Aug 2, 2013 8:24 AM

    I have great respect for Wake Forest for not giving way to to giving kids grades because they play football. I feel bad for the young man but he has to be held accountable for his grades. The other player, Zach Allen, was dismissed by WF during summer school due to a university violation. I don’t feel bad for him.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!