When Auburn shockingly announced earlier this week that Kiehl Frazier was moving to the defensive secondary, it whittled the Tigers’ quarterback competition down to two.
By early next week, the whittling should be done and a lone man left standing atop the depth chart.
Speaking to the media Thursday, first-year head coach Gus Malzahn stated that the quarterback competition between Jeremy Johnson (pictured, No. 6) and Nick Marshall (pictured, No. 14) is quickly winding down. Specifically, Malzahn hopes he and his coaching staff have a starter named no later than next Monday.
The key word there, though, is “hopes.”
“It could be tomorrow, it could be the next day, Saturday or Sunday,” Malzahn said when asked about the timing of naming a starter. “Any time before next Monday would be really good for us, but like I’ve said before, we’re not sure.”
Neither Johnson nor Marshall have played a game under center at the FBS level.
Johnson was a four-star member of AU’s 2013 recruiting class, rated as the No. 5 pro-style quarterback in the country. Marshall signed with Georgia in 2011 and played defensive back before he was dismissed for allegedly stealing money from teammates. He spent the 2012 season at the JUCO level playing quarterback before transferring to The Plains.