The past couple of years have been eventful for Miami’s Dyron Dye. However, his time with the Hurricanes has come to a sudden end.
The school announced on Monday that Dye, the lone remaining UM player with ties to former booster Nevin Shapiro, is no longer with the program.
“The University of Miami has informed football player Dyron Dye that he will no longer be a member of the Miami football program,” the school said in a statement. “Given the totality of the circumstances and unresolved issues regarding the NCAA investigation, the University has decided to move ahead.”
The school is still waiting for a ruling from the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions. Shapiro previously alleged — numerous times — that he provided a number of players with impermissible benefits. Dye, who has bounced back and forth between tight end and defensive line, allegedly received meals and access to strip clubs.
In June, Dye filed an incident report with the Coral Gables police department in which it was alleged that an NCAA investigator had “coerced” Dye into making statements that benefited The Association’s case against the Hurricanes. However, the attempt to hold the NCAA accountable for what Dye felt were shady investigating tactics ultimately fell short and no charges were brought. Prior to that, Dye had met with the NCAA on three separate occasions.
All of that, according to Darren Heitner, Dye’s attorney, resulted in the senior being too much of a distraction for the program.
“The team decided that it doesn’t want Dyron to be a member because they determined he would be too much of a distraction,” Heitner said to the Associated Press. “The one nice thing is that it won’t affect his aid. But as far as his future playing for the University of Miami, that door’s closed.”
However, via the Miami Herald, Dye still has a scholarship to complete his degree.