The NCAA’s new rules on targeting resulted in six players getting ejected during the first weekend of the season, including one that was later overturned by video replay, the Associated Press reported on Monday.
NCAA coordinator of officials Rogers Redding said official totals on the number of targeting penalties would not be available until Tuesday. But with one game still left to be played Monday night, Redding says the early returns seem to indicate there was not an uptick in the number of penalties called for targeting compared to last season.
Tulane cornerback Lorenzo Doss, Oregon cornerback Terrance Mitchell, Texas A&M cornerback Deshazor Everett, California defensive lineman Chris McCain and Indiana State defensive back Carlos Aviles were the culprits. The latter three’s penalties occurred in the second half of their games so they will be forced to sit out the first half of their next contest.
One player, Colorado State linebacker C.J. James, had his penalty overturned after a video review.
So far, it doesn’t look like the worries about the new rule are merited. For five players to miss a half out of all the players in college football seems a small price to pay for a greater emphasis on safety. Besides, Everett and McCain won’t really be missed this week since their teams are scheduled to take on FCS patsies.
Still, the vagueness of the rule has the potential to bite some teams in the behind at some point. Let’s just hope it’s applied with as much restraint and common sense the rest of the way as it was in week one.