Arizona State v Arizona

Arizona State hopes to avoid FCS upset bug

The Arizona State Sun Devils got a week off to start the season. While they got a little extra time to prepare for their season opener, they surely took notice of another Pac 12 team going down to to an FCS opponent, with Oregon State losing to Eastern Washington. The Eastern Washington was one of eight upsets completed by FCS programs in college football’s opening week, which leaves many looking for an encore in week two. Arizona State will be the first FBS program put to the test when they host Sacramento State Thursday night in Tempe.

Sacramento State will be looking for their third straight victory over a Pac 12 program, having defeated Oregon State in 2011 and Colorado in 2012. Arizona State head coach Todd Graham is not letting his team relax through this week’s opening game, reminding the Sun Devils of what they need to do Thursday night to avoid being the next FBS program upset at home by an FCS squad.

“It can make their entire season,” Graham is quoted by the Associated Press. “I haven’t sat there and told our players you better get prepared or you will get beat. I tell them that the key is that they have no excuse. We can’t make any excuses. This is a game we should win.”

It is a game Arizona State should win. But Oregon State should have defeated Eastern Washington. Kansas State should have defeated North Dakota State. The Empire should have defeated the Rebel Alliance too, but upsets happen all the time.

According to Football Geography, Arizona State is 11-0 all time against FCS opponents. The Sun Devils are also a 37-point favorite according to Vegas Insider.

Todd Graham is right. Arizona State should win.

Former Baylor quarterback Jarrett Stidham could follow Bears OC to a new job

WACO, TX - OCTOBER 24: Jarrett Stidham #3 of the Baylor Bears runs against Darian Cotton #23 of the Iowa State Cyclones in the second half at McLane Stadium on October 24, 2015 in Waco, Texas. (Photo by Ron Jenkins/Getty Images)