Even when the NCAA is trying to do a good thing, they find a way to make it much more complicated than it needs to be.
A Pennsylvania state court has determined that the state may continue to move forward with a legal battle over the handling of the $60 million fine money issued to Penn State by the NCAA. Not surprisingly, the NCAA was not pleased with the court decision.
Penn State was slammed by the NCAA with hefty sanctions in 2012 as a result of the fallout from the Jerry Sandusky scandal. Those sanctions included a four-year postseason ban, a significant reduction in available scholarships, the vacating of over 100 wins and a $60 million fine. The fine money was instructed to go to a fund to help child-abuse awareness programs, but the NCAA had intended for that fine money to be used nationally. The state has challenged that aspect of the sanction terms in hopes of keeping the $60 million for in-state child-abuse awareness programs.
The state and NCAA have been at odds over the splitting up of the money for a while, with the NCAA asking for the case to be dismissed. The NCAA has said the case is a violation of the consent decree signed by the university during the sanction process, but the court says a state trust fund set up to hold Penn State’s fine money does not conflict with the NCAA’s settlement with the school. To the NCAA’s dismay, the Pennsylvania court denied the motion and will allow the state to continue the legal battle.
What happened on Penn State’s watch was alarming, and national attention should have been given to it in hopes of not seeing a similar sequence of events unfolding anywhere else. If what happened at Penn State prevents one more child from being harmed, then the media coverage and NCAA’s sanctions have done their job. That said, the biggest child-abuse scandal we have seen took place within the borders of Pennsylvania (and yes, San Antonio), so why not invest the entire $60 million sum, or at least a significant majority of it, within the state at Penn State’s expense?
The NCAA will continue to fight this issue, but their battle will pointless. The important thing here is investing $60 million to go toward the prevention of child and sexual abuse. In the end, why should the NCAA be the ones to determine where that money is spent?
And now we know a little bit more of the rest of the story.
Thursday morning, reports surfaced that Alabama linebacker Tim Williams had been arrested for carrying a pistol without a permit. Other than the fact that Williams was arrested by university police officers, no details were available. Until now.
Williams was arrested in the Tuscaloosa Publix parking lot around 2:00 a.m., sources told AL.com.
Police officers were doing a normal patrol when they smelled marijuana coming from Williams’ vehicle, according to sources. A passenger, who was not an Alabama football player, said the marijuana was his, but the officer then found the pistol under Williams’ seat while searching the car, according to sources.
The school has yet to publicly comment on the situation, although the player took to Twitter to acknowledge “a mistake.”
Coming off a 2015 season in which he was second on the Tide with 10.5 sacks, Phil Steele named the senior as a preseason first-team All-American.
A significant piece of Duke offensive puzzle won’t be available to the Blue Devils in Week 5.
On its weekly injury report released Thursday, Duke announced that Jela Duncan will not play against Virginia Saturday because of an unspecified leg injury. The running back sustained the injury in the 38-35 win over Notre Dame last weekend.
With 314 yards, Duncan is far and away the Blue Devils’ leading rusher. Next closest is Shaun Wilson‘s 122 yards.
Duncan, a senior who’s endured a rocky career thus far, also leads the team with four rushing touchdowns, while his 5.6 yards per carry is tops amongst Blue Devils with 10 or more carries.
The football program also confirmed that defensive end Dominic McDonald will miss a second straight game because of what’s described as an upper-body injury. McDonald started the first three games of the season before missing the Notre Dame game with the same injury.
And, finally, the school announced that linebacker Tinashe Bere will be sidelined for the remainder of the season with a leg injury. While he didn’t start any of the four games in which he played this season after starting six last year, he’s sixth on the team in tackles with 13.
Depending on your point of view, James Franklin‘s boss has either given the Penn State head coach a needed vote of confidence… or the dreaded vote of confidence.
With an underwhelming 14-12 record heading into his third year, Franklin’s Nittany Lions have continued to underwhelm with a 2-2 record through the first third of the 2016 season. Following a 39-point loss to Michigan, Franklin’s record against the Big Three in the B1G East — UM, Michigan State, Ohio State — dropped to 0-7. Not only have the Nittany Lions lost all seven, they’ve lost those seven by an average of 22 points per game. Five of those losses were by at least 12 points, with four of those coming by 24 or more.
The fact that the Nittany Lions aren’t even remotely ready to compete in their own division let alone nationally has led to renewed chatter that, by season’s end, Franklin could either be sitting on the hot seat or standing in the unemployment line. Wednesday, PSU athletic director Sandy Barbour used a Chamber of Commerce appearance to very stridently and publicly defend her head coach.
From Cory Giger of the Altoona Mirror:
James is not on any hot seat,” Barbour said Wednesday.
“He’s not on the hot seat, and he’s not going to be on the hot seat in December,” Barbour said.
“James is going to be our football coach,” the AD added. “I believe in where this football program is going under James Franklin, and I think he’s going to be our football coach, period.”
“I think I’ve been really, really clear on I think he’s doing a spectacular job as a teacher, as a coach, as a leader of these young men,” she said. “That’s really, really important to Penn State. He and his staff are absolutely nailing that.
Barring a complete and total collapse between now and the end of November, Franklin will get a fourth season. Heading into that fourth year, however, he will very likely be on the hot seat on which Barbour currently swears he doesn’t currently sit.
It’s been an interesting, to say the least, couple of days off the field for top-ranked Alabama.
Wednesday, reports surfaced that former five-star quarterback Blake Barnett, who started the Tide’s opener, is leaving the program and will transfer, although Nick Saban held out hope that he’d stay. A day later, Rivals.com is reporting that senior linebacker Tim Williams has been arrested on a charge of carrying a pistol without a permit.
The arrest was made by the university’s police department, although the details of what led to the charge have not been divulged.
Last season, Williams was second on the team with 10.5 sacks. This season, Williams has totaled 1.5 sacks in four games. He started one of those contests.
Williams is the third Tide player arrested this year on a weapons charge.
In May, star offensive lineman Cam Robinson and defensive back Laurence “Hootie” Jones were arrested in Louisiana and charged with one count each possession of marijuana and illegal carrying of a weapon. Additionally, Robinson was charged with felony possession of a stolen firearm. A month later, the district attorney in the case announced that he had declined to prosecute the players, citing a lack of evidence.
Well, that and the below infamous reasoning.
“I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I’m doing this is that I refuse to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all in the air conditioning,” DA Jerry Jones stated.