And, no, it has nothing to do with anything negative. Unless you happen to be the NCAA or certain conference commissioners, of course.
As if he hadn’t already transcended the game of college football enough, Johnny Manziel has now found himself gracing the cover of the most recent issue of the iconic Time magazine. The cover featuring Manziel, with the title “It’s time to pay college athletes,” pushes hot-button issues such Syria and Russian president Vladimir Putin to mere footnotes above his Heisman-esque photo.
Bruce Feldman of CBSSports.com notes that Manziel is the first college football player on the cover of Time since Notre Dame’s Terry Hanratty and Jim Seymour 47 years ago.
Below is the latest cover of a magazine featuring Manziel, courtesy of Time‘s Twitter feed:
As for the substance of the article — which we’ve discussed on this site ad nauseam — you’ll have to buy the magazine to read the piece in its entirety or subscribe online. The magazine’s website does, though, provide a brief synopsis of what you can expect on an issue that is — right or wrong — simply not going away. Or, as Time writes, “[c]hange, in some form, is coming to college sports”:
Schools and big-time conferences are signing lucrative television deals. Some are even starting their own TV networks, which could be cash cows. But as revenues have expanded over the last decade–and will continue to expand into the next one–a fair share should go to the players. “The rising dollar value of the exploitation of athletes,” says noted Stanford sports economist Roger Noll, “is obscene, is out of control.”
In fairness, college players are compensated, with scholarships that can be worth over $100,000 over four years at some schools. That’s an attractive package. But given the time demands on major college athletes–40 hours per week plus in season–that naturally conflict with education, college should have the option to offer more. Schools could also allow athletes to secure sponsorships–that’s how Olympic athletes capitalize on their abilities. “Lifting the restriction on athlete commercial opportunities is a great step toward compensating them for the value they create,” says Warren Zola, assistant dean of the Carroll School of Management at Boston College and an expert in college sports and business law. “And it doesn’t cost the schools anything.”
Four months ago, Kurt Benkert was one the losing end of a quarterback competition at East Carolina. Fastforward to today, and he’s now the trigger man in a Power Five offense.
First-year Hoos head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced Wednesday that Benkert will start the season opener against Richmond. Benkert had been involved in a competition that included returning starter Matt Johns and Texas/Arizona transfer Connor Brewer.
Benkert came to the Cavaliers as a graduate transfer, but is not a one-year stop-gap as he has two years of eligibility remaining.
Named the Pirates’ starter in early August of 2015, Benkert sustained a right knee injury a couple of weeks later that knocked him out for the entire season. Blake Kemp took over and kept a stranglehold on the starting job through spring practice this year, triggering Benkert’s decision to move on.
Benkert has attempted 10 passes in his collegiate career, all in 2014.
In starting all 12 games for the Cavaliers last season, Johns’ 2,810 passing yards were third in school history while his 20 touchdowns were tied for fourth. His 17 interceptions, though, were the most of any FBS quarterback in 2015.
Earlier this month, Mark Dantonio stated that Michigan State was giving Cassius Peat “an opportunity to work on his academics and get himself in order” as his status with the program was “in flux.”
A week or so later? He gone.
MSU confirmed Wednesday that Peat has been granted a release from his scholarship and will transfer from the Spartans. And, in fact, the defensive lineman may have already found a new home, one at the junior college level.
Peat, initially a UCLA commit, was a three-star 2015 recruit who was rated as the No. 3 player at any position in the state of Arizona. He took a redshirt as a true freshman, and had been listed as the No. tackle heading into summer camp.
However, according to mlive.com, Peat did not report for camp amidst his academic issues.
A week after transferring from Oregon State, Cyril Noland-Lewis has found a new home that happens to also double as his hometown.
The Ruston News Star, among others, has reported that Noland-Lewis is transferring into the Louisiana Tech football program. As he is coming to Tech as a graduate transfer, he will be eligible to play for the Bulldogs in 2016, his final season of eligibility.
The defensive back, who went to high school in Ruston, was at the Bulldogs’ practice Tuesday as Tech continues preparations for the season opener Sept. 3 against Arkansas.
Noland-Lewis started 10 games for the Beavers last season. Six of those starts came as a safety, the others as the nickel corner. OSU moved Noland-Lewis to cornerback this offseason, where he ultimately found himself buried on the depth chart in summer camp.
The 6-0, 198-pound fifth-year senior, who began his OSU career as a linebacker, played in a total of 37 games during his time in Corvallis.
It’s not been a good day for a couple of starting quarterbacks at Group of Five programs.
The Las Cruces Sun-News has reported that New Mexico State’s Tyler Rogers turned himself in last Friday on a warrant that had been issued for him Aug. 14. The junior was booked on one count of misdemeanor charge of battery against a household member.
The alleged victim is Rogers’ girlfriend. A verbal altercation at a party allegedly turned physical in a vehicle later on. When police arrived, the woman, who was initially crying, “downplayed the incident and said that it wasn’t really anything and that the altercation did not get physical and didn’t consider Mr. Rogers grabbing her arm as being a physical altercation.”
The woman decided against completing a domestic violence supplement report, and, according to the Sun-News, it’s unclear if the woman is cooperating with police.
“I was very disappointed in hearing the news but we are in the information gathering stage,” NMSU athletic director Mario Moccia said in a statement. “These are allegations that we take very seriously and we look forward to getting as much detail as possible so the university can be informed and the athletic department can make an informed decision moving forward.”
Because “it is a misdemeanor, there isn’t a suspension coming forth right now,” head coach Doug Martin said.
Rogers has started 15 games the past two seasons for the Aggies.