Can Kentucky gain running advantage vs Louisville?

Sports information directors from around the country are constantly flooding my inbox. Game notes and press releases are constantly coming in to my inbox every day and I try to at least skim through each as they come in or when I have a chance to catch up. This evening I received one from Louisville and came across an interesting little stat about the series between Louisville and Kentucky.

According to Louisville’s records, the team winning the rushing battle has won each of the last 18 meetings between the bitter in-state rivals. This led me to quickly check the rushing numbers after two games and wouldn’t you know that Kentucky has been more productive on the ground out of the gates? Of course, Louisville also has a Heisman Trophy contender throwing passes for them, so perhaps this rushing stat is not quite as relevant this weekend.

Louisville has run the football 68 times for a total of 277 yards (averaging 4.07 yards per attempt) and two touchdowns. They did this against Ohio and Eastern Kentucky, far from top-level competition. Though only accounting for a small sample size, Louisville ranks 83rd in rushing offense. Again, having Teddy Bridgewater playing quarterback helps overcome any perceived lack of a running game. Louisville ranks fifth in the nation in passing offense. Louisville added former Auburn running back Michael Dyer to their roster this season but is listed third on the depth chart this week. Louisville’s running game is instead led by Senorise Perry and junior Dominique Brown.

Meanwhile, Kentucky has rushed for more than 200 yards in each of their first two games, against Western Kentucky and Miami Ohio. Kentucky has rushed 71 times for 478 yards (averaging 6.73 yards per attempt) and four touchdowns. Kentucky ranks 32nd in run offense, again using a small sample size of just two games.

Can Kentucky find a way to get the ground game moving once again? Louisville held Kentucky to just 93 yards on the ground last year while rushing for over 200 yards on offense. Kentucky’s running game is spearheaded by senior Raymond Sanders and junior fullback Jalen Whitlow and adds some young blood with freshman Jojo Kemp. The Wildcats are looking to get back to playing competitive football, and there will be no better opportunity to make a statement than by utilizing a strength in the running game to their advantage if possible against Louisville.

If there is one stat you are keeping track of in this weekend’s game, perhaps that will be it.

Infant son of D’Onta Foreman passed away during Texas’ 2016 season

As a father five times over, I simply can’t imagine doing what D'Onta Foreman did last season.

On the field, the Texas running back was an absolute beast.  He led the nation in rushing yards per game at 184.4 — next closest was San Diego State’s Donnell Pumphrey at 152.4 — while his 2,028 total rushing yards were second to Pumphrey (2,133).  On Nov. 5 against Texas Tech, Foreman ran for 341 yards, the third-highest total in Longhorns history.

In a profile that appeared on the NFL Network, Foreman revealed that, unbeknownst to those outside of the football program, his girlfriend gave birth to a baby boy on Sept. 16.  His son was born premature and weighed just 15 ounces at birth; 50 days later, the infant passed away — not long after Foreman’s historic performance against Tech.

In fact, Foreman learned of his son’s death as he was driving back to the hospital in Texas City after the game to be with him.

From HookEm.com‘s transcription of his interview with the NFL Network:

I always dreamed of having a boy and naming him after me and you know, just seeing him grow. You know, just loving him.

“He was a fighter, you know. He would like fight and he’s going to make it and everything will be fine.”

“I really didn’t know how to feel. I was like numb. I was driving and then I was crying while I was driving. I was crushed and I was so hurt. I feel like something was taken away from me before I even really got the chance to experience it.

While nothing can ever replace Foreman’s loss, there is a silver lining in his story as the back’s girlfriend is again pregnant.  The due date?  The same day D’Onta Vanton Foreman Jr. was born.

Foreman Sr. is one of the players who are part of the pool for the NFL draft, which will take place this Thursday in Philadelphia.

Via Twitter, safety Jordan Fogal says he’s leaving Utah