Nick Saban says “I’m just too damn old to start over”


The rumors trying to connect Nick Saban to a potential vacancy at Texas are mildly entertaining, but if we are to take the Alabama head coach at his word we can probably put them all to rest. Saban says his age will prevent him from even thinking about starting with a clean slate at any other program.

“Every year it’s something. Last year it was the Cleveland Browns,” Saban said Thursday night on his weekly radio show, according to “And, quite frankly, I’m just too damn old to start over somewhere else.”

So there you go. Forget about Saban going to Texas to replace Mack Brown in 2014. Well, maybe. Who knows, after all, didn’t Saban say similar things when he was with the Miami Dolphins? Yes, he did. Never say never, right?

But Saban has a bit of a point here. Saban is 61 years old, and will turn 62 before the end of this season. At his age it is certainly not impossible to move to a new program and try to turn things around, but we are entering an age where coaches probably are not going to be coaching well in to their 60s any more. Unless Saban were to give the NFL one more crack, Alabama certainly feels as though it will be his final coaching job.

And make no mistake, Saban would be starting over at Texas. The Longhorns are looking more and more like a rebuilding project, but it is not the type of rebuilding project that would need a structured fie-year plan. Given the resources available at Texas and the large talent pool to swim in and Saban’s coaching profile, Texas would be a national title contender rather quickly.

Saban’s comments were inspired by reports from earlier in the day saying regents at Texas had made an attempt to reach out to Saban to gauge his interest. It’s a long shot for Texas, but given the situation brewing in Austin, it is a move Texas would absolutely have to make. If Texas calls Saban and Saban says “Thanks, but no thanks,” so be it. At least an effort was made to drastically change the image of the Texas program. Saban did rebuff those reports during his radio show as well.

“Nothing went on that I know of,” Saban said. “I don’t know about any of this stuff. I haven’t talked to anybody about that particular situation. They have a coach there.”

Report: Duke Williams injured Auburn teammate with punch in ‘bar rampage’

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 29:  D'haquille Williams #1 of the Auburn Tigers misses a touchdown catch in the first quarter against the Alabama Crimson Tide during the Iron Bowl at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 29, 2014 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Getty Images

D’haquille Williams may have some additional explaining to do to NFL personnel if another report is accurate.

Monday night, Auburn announced that the star wide receiver had been dismissed from Gus Malzahn‘s football program.  A day later, reports surfaced that Williams’ dismissal came after he went on a weekend “bar rampage” following one of his friends getting the heave-ho from a local drinking establishment over a dress-code issue. It was alleged that Williams had punched a pair of security guards, a bartender’s assistant and an unnamed patron of the bar.

The unnamed, however, now has a name.

According to the ABC affiliate in Montgomery, Ala., and a citing a source close to the AU program, Tigers center Xavier Dampeer‘s jaw was on the receiving end of one of Williams’ alleged punches. The website wrote that “Dampeer has been treated and released from East Alabama Medical Center, according to a worker at the hospital.”

Malzahn was asked Tuesday if any other Tiger players were involved in the incident. “I’m not going to get into any details,” the coach said according to

No charges have been filed in connection to the incident.

“We cannot file charges until the injured person(s) comes forward,” Auburn police chief Paul Register told the television station. “Unless an officer personally sees a fight, no arrests can be made.”

Illini’s leading rusher, Josh Ferguson, officially ruled out vs. Iowa

Josh Ferguson, Jordan Italiano
Associated Press
Leave a comment

If Illinois is going to improve upon its solid 4-1 start to the 2015 season, it’ll have to do so without a significant cog in its offensive machinery.

On the official injury report release Thursday night, the Illini confirmed that Josh Ferguson has been ruled out of Saturday’s game against No. 22 Iowa.  The decision is not exactly a surprise as Ferguson has been doubtful in the run-up to the road game against the Hawkeyes.

Ferguson sustained an injury to his right shoulder in the first quarter of last Saturday’s last-second win over Nebraska, and has been unable to practice at all this week.

Ferguson’s 381 rushing yards, three rushing touchdowns and 5.4 yards per carry are all tops on the team.  He’s added 12 receptions for 28 yards and another touchdown coming out of the backfield.

With Ferguson sidelined, the bulk of the running-game load is expected to shift to Ke’Shawn Vaughn.  Through five games, Vaughn is second on the Illini with 325 yards and a pair of touchdowns.