Injury puts Tide down a starting receiver

Alabama Norwood makes the catch for a touchdown as he is defended by Texas A&M Harris in College Station, Texas AP

Alabama will be without its top running back for 25 percent of today’s game.  Now, the Tide will be without one its starting wide receivers for 100 percent of the game.

Thanks to a lower-leg injury suffered in the win over Texas A&M last Saturday, Kevin Norwood will not play in this Saturday’s game against Colorado State.  In the week leading up to the reunion with former UA offensive coordinator Jim McElwain, Norwood had been listed as questionable.

Norwood is third on the team with four receptions through two games, and had a 22-yard touchdown catch against the Aggies.  Last season, Norwood was second on the Tide in receptions (29) receiving yards (461) and receiving touchdowns (four).

Additionally, defensive backs Deion Belue, Jarrick Williams and Nick Perry will likely not see the field due to injury.  The loss of Belue would be the most notable as the cornerback, a preseason first-team All-SEC selection, Belue has started 16 straight games at corner for the Tide.

Permalink 5 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Alabama Crimson Tide, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts
5 Responses to “Injury puts Tide down a starting receiver”
  1. Anoesis says: Sep 21, 2013 7:13 PM

The team will likely find a way around this bad news, but there was some good news out of Tuscaloosa (from nation.time.com):

“University of Alabama Integrates Sororities

Persistent relic of segregation ends as black women join white Greek organizations

A critical spotlight has been on Alabama since a story published Sept. 11 in the school’s student newspaper, The Crimson White, showed in startling detail how an unofficial but rigidly enforced system of segregation has kept black women from joining the elite Greek organizations. Members of the traditionally white sororities said they were pressured by alumnae to keep black women from joining.

The practice was widely known to students and alumni and had been reported before, but the latest incidents seemed to touch an especially raw nerve. Current students were largely for integration and the school’s administration, which had long resisted getting involved, was compelled to act.”

The march of progress may be slow at times, but it does move forward. I was, however, a little concerned about a student newspaper that calls itself The Crimson White. The red white? Isn’t the school nickname Crimson Tide? I guess The White Tide would have been a bit too obvious. Roll White Tide!

2. Deb says: Sep 21, 2013 7:36 PM

Anoesis …

The paper is named for the school colors: Crimson and White. You wrote a nice post until deteriorating into stupidity at the end. Too bad.

Yes, things change slowly. Too slowly sometimes. A few months ago, I supported a group of high school kids in Georgia who were trying to hold their community’s first integrated prom … in 2013. It’s sad, but I commend those kids and the students at Bama for remaining determined to drag their elders in the 21st century.

3. Deb says: Sep 21, 2013 7:45 PM

Back to football …

Joey Porter is a student assistant for Colorado State! I have an inexplicable undying love for our former Steelers linebaker. (LOVE YOU, JOEY!!!) If he manages to infuse 1/100th his playing passion into the guys around him, they’ll play tough!

4. Anoesis says: Sep 21, 2013 8:34 PM

Deb-

Considering the South lost the War of Northern Aggression nearly 150 years ago and we’re still dealing with ingrained racism (at a college, no less) I thought the allusion was entirely appropriate. They’ve finally decided to correct this egregious injustice, despite knowledge that went right to the top, and I made a joke at their expense. Sue me.

5. Deb says: Sep 21, 2013 8:58 PM

Like I said … you made a great post … then dissolved into childish stupidity. And your immaturity, it seems, has no limit.