Stanford v Army

Stanford knocks out two QBs, rolls over WSU

1 Comment

Stanford’s physical defense knocked out two Washington State quarterbacks on back-to-back series in the third quarter as the No. 5 Cardinal crushed the Cougars in rainy Seattle, 55-17.

Washington State came into the game with a new-found reputation for being physical on both sides of the ball. The Cardinal soon showed the Cougars just what that word means.

Stanford’s modest 17-3 lead expanded rapidly in that third stanza when linebacker Trent Murphy nailed WSU quarterback Connor Halliday as he threw, which resulted in a 30-yard interception return for a touchdown by safety Jordan Richards.

Suddenly it was 24-3.

Halliday left the game and was replaced by freshman Austin Apodaca, who was promptly laid out by linebacker Kevin Anderson on a third down pass attempt. Apodaca left the game briefly while WSU punted, then Cardinal quarterback Kevin Hogan threw his third touchdown pass to make the score, 31-3. Apodaca returned on the next series just in time to throw a pick six to Murphy.

That made it 38-3. Game over.

Hogan faced no such pressure and he calmly carved up the WSU defense, going 16 of 25 for 286 yards with touchdown passes of 57, 33 and 45 yards. With the Cardinal’s recent corps of talented tight ends now in the NFL, the Stanford offense has now become more vertical, with receivers like Devon Cajuste and Michael Rector routinely getting behind the Cougars secondary for big plays.

It was a dominant effort for Stanford, which rolled up 560 yards of total offense while holding WSU to 373 (much of it in garbage time).

For the Cougars, it’s a stark reminder of how far they have to go before they can be competitive against top-flight Pac-12 competition. For the Cardinal, it was another chance to get playing time for its reserves, including one Barry Sanders, Jr., who scored his first career touchdown.


Former Texas A&M WR Thomas Johnson arrested on murder charge

Thomas Johnson
Associated Press

A very disturbing story has emerged out of Dallas, where former Texas A&M wide receiver Thomas Johnson sits in a Dallas County jail cell after allegedly admitting to hacking an unsuspecting jogger to death with a machete.

Just before 8 a.m. Monday, authorities say Johnson went to White Rock Creek Trail, a popular jogging trail in northeast Dallas, and randomly slashed a jogger to death. “It appears Mr. Johnson picked this victim at random. Absolutely random,” Deputy Chief Rob Sherwin told the Dallas Morning News. “He just attacked him. … It’s just very unusual. It’s quite shocking.”

Johnson then walked away from the scene in search of a cell phone. An onlooker had already dialed 911, and when police arrived Johnson allegedly told them there was a man “laying down with a sword in his head and not moving.”

“I just committed capital murder,” Johnson said and then repeated, according to his arrest affidavit. The only motive police reported was that Johnson was angry at his situation in life at the time of the slaying.

The victim, an unidentified male between the age of 25 and 35, passed away at a nearby hospital.

Johnson, meanwhile, remains in a Dallas County jail in lieu of $500,000 bail.

Johnson was a highly-regarded member of Kevin Sumlin‘s first recruiting class at Texas A&M. As a true freshman in 2012, the Dallas native caught 30 passes for 339 yards and one touchdown through the Aggies’ upset of then-No. 1 Alabama and then simply… disappeared. He went missing for three days in November 2012 before turning up back home in Dallas. His mother told the San Antonio Express-News last April Johnson would like to return to college football, but a return to the game never materialized.

No punishment from SEC for Bielema’s sideline interaction with Alabama player

Bret Bielema

Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema will not be disciplined by the SEC office for his brief interaction with Alabama offensive lineman Cam Robinson last weekend. A video showing Bielema exaggerating his interaction with Robinson at the end of a play was reviewed by SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, and the commissioner has discussed the situation with the Razorbacks coach.

“I visited with Bret over the phone on Monday and we discussed the play that has now become widely reviewed through a brief video clip,” Sankey said in a released statement. “Football is played in an intense competitive environment and I reminded him of the need for head coaches to resolve with their own players issues that may arise, which was his intent. The unsportsmanlike penalty assessed on the play was not directly associated with Bret’s efforts to intervene at the end of the play and we are moving forward in a positive manner.”

That appears to be the end of the discussion regarding Bielema’s act. I personally think there should have been some more done here by the league’s commissioner, but we will see if Bielema avoids putting himself in a similar position moving forward.