Earl Campbell: ‘I think it’s time’ Mack Brown was Kiffin’d

11 Comments

While the fallout from USC’s firing of Lane Kiffin has yet to be fully dissected and the repercussions fully realized, there’s one Heisman-winning former Texas Longhorn who thinks UT should take the same gallows approach to its current head coaching situation.

In an interview with Fox 26 Sports in Houston, Earl Campbell was asked about the current state of his alma mater’s football program and the speculation surrounding why and how Mack Brown should survive.  The Hall of Fame back, to his credit, wasn’t shy in letting his unfiltered opinions show.

“I’d go on record and say yes I think it’s time,” Campbell said when asked about moving on from Brown.

Even more strikingly, Campbell lauded USC for its move to shed itself of its head coach and how swiftly they made that decision.

“I’d just say this, I take my hat off for USC for what they’ve done. They didn’t mess around with it. They just said ‘let’s do it now.’ I think at some point our university’s people are going to have make a decision.”

Over the past few months, there’s been a sense that two of the most prime jobs in college football would be open at season’s end. USC was the first domino that fell; if the Tyler Rose’s comments are any indication, the second one should fall in short order.

“So sometimes a change is good. I think this is what we’re up against at the university. Nobody wants to say that, but somebody has to break the ice and say ‘yes it’s time.’ ”

While Campbell’s words carry almost no weight when it comes to Brown’s future, they do amplify the fact that a growing segment wants to take a sledgehammer to said ice and discuss a post-Mack future sooner rather than later.

Stanford schedules 2018 game against FCS UC Davis

Getty Images
2 Comments

Let this post serve as your annual reminder that Notre Dame, UCLA and UCLA remain the only FBS programs who have never played a game against or scheduled a game with a team from the FCS/Div. 1-AA.

In that vein, Stanford announced Wednesday that it has scheduled a 2018 game against UC Davis.  That game will, of course, be played at the Cardinal’s football home, Stanford Stadium, on Sept. 15 of that year.

The two football programs have met three times previously, the last coming in 2014.  The Cardinal holds a 2-1 advantage in the miniseries, with the lone loss coming back in 2005

In addition to the game against the FCS program, Stanford also has 2018 non-conference games scheduled with San Diego State, at home, and Notre Dame, in South Bend.  Their Pac-12 schedule that season consists of home games against Oregon State, USC, Utah, and Washington State as well as road trips to Arizona State, California, Oregon, UCLA, and Washington.

Other future non-conference games, with the annual rivalry game versus Notre Dame a given, include Boston College, BYU, Kansas State, Northwestern, TCU and Vanderbilt.

Starting slotback leaves Army for Elon

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Even as Tyler Campbell seemed determined to transfer from the Army football program, head coach Jeff Monken had held out hope that the starting slotback would reverse course and return to the service academy.  In the end, that hope proved futile.

According to Sal Interdonato of HudsonValley.com, Campbell has followed through with his departure plans and has transferred to Elon.  As the Phoenix play at the FCS level, Campbell will be eligible to play immediately in 2017.

A third-year junior, Campbell will have two seasons of eligibility at his disposal.

Last season, Campbell started 11 of the 13 games in which he played.  He ran for 326 yards on 34 carries — his 9.6 yards per carry was tops on the Black Knights — while adding another 71 yards on a pair of receptions.  He saved his best for last, rushing for a career-high 88 yards, including a 70-yard touchdown, in the Heart of Dallas Bowl win over North Texas.

While in the offensive backfield at Army, he’ll play in the defensive backfield at Elon as he’s currently listed as a cornerback for the Phoenix.

Title IX probe finds football players violated Michigan State policy

Getty Images
2 Comments

The next step in an ongoing controversy in East Lansing has been taken, and it could, eventually, prove costly for some members of the football program.

This week, Michigan State confirmed that the Title IX investigation into allegations that three unnamed Spartan football players had sexually assaulted a woman in January had come to a conclusion. Citing privacy laws, however, the university will not be releasing the findings of the probe.

The school has subsequently confirmed, though, that the investigation found that the three players had committed unspecified violations of school policy. With that finding, the case will now go through the university’s student conduct system.

That body could levy sanctions on the players that range from a warning to probation to suspension or even expulsion from the university.

The alleged sexual assault has spawned three separate investigations, including the recently-completed Title IX probe.  A criminal investigation conducted by campus police led to requests for four arrest warrants to be issued, although the Ingham County Prosecutor’s office has thus far declined to act.  Additionally, the university has hired an outside law firm to conduct an independent investigation into the football program and its handling of the allegations.

Thus far, the names of the players allegedly involved in the assault have not been released, although all three have been indefinitely suspended since early February.  The suspended staffer was subsequently identified as Curtis Blackwell, whose title with the football program is director of college advancement and performance.  Blackwell, who is not accused of participating in the alleged sexual assault but rather a non-sexual crime after the fact, has received a pair of one-month contract extensions since his suspension was levied.

Ex-Oregon QB Terry Wilson to take JUCO route

Getty Images
1 Comment

As Terry Wilson looks to restart his football playing career, he’ll do so at a much lower rung on the collegiate ladder than which he started.

On his personal Twitter account Tuesday, Wilson announced that he will play for Garden City Community College, a junior college in Kansas, in 2017.  GCCC was the top team at the JUCO level in 2016, going undefeated last season.

The move comes a month or so after the quarterback decided to transfer from Oregon.

A three-star member of the Ducks’ 2016 recruiting class, Wilson was rated as the No. 9 dual-threat quarterback in the country and the No. 2 player at any position in the state of Oklahoma.  He had originally committed to Nebraska before signing with UO.

After taking a redshirt as a true freshman, Wilson began spring practice this year as the No. 2 quarterback.  However, he quickly tumbled to at least third on the depth chart, which triggered the decision to transfer.