Ole Miss football players punished by school for theater slurs

Texas A&M v Mississippi Getty Images

A significant number of Ole Miss football players will be required to complete a sort of sensitivity service after inappropriate behavior at a university theater performance.

According to Hugh Kellenberger, Ole Miss beat reporter for Jackson Clarion-Ledger, reports via Twitter every player in attendance for a performance of “The Laramie Project” will be required to take part in a session on “educational dialogue” at Ole Miss. The school’s athletic department is still in the process of getting more information related to the incident originally reported by The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper at Ole Miss. According to the original report, an estimated 20 football players were among those shouting homophobic slurs and insults at actors Tuesday night during the performance of a play based on a gay male murdered in Laramie, Wyoming.

Attending the play was part of a class requirement and the disturbance caused the school’s athletic director to arrive during the performance. The players issued an apology to the actors after the performance.

“The football players were asked by the athletics department to apologize to the cast,” Ole Miss Theatre Department Chair Rene Pulliam said. “However, I’m not sure the players truly understood what they were apologizing for.”

Ole Miss plays at Auburn this weekend. There is no word on any potential suspensions or further action to be taken by head coach Hugh Freeze.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Ole Miss Rebels, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts
34 Responses to “Ole Miss football players punished by school for theater slurs”
  1. liverpoolred04 says: Oct 4, 2013 6:45 PM

He’ll take a note out of Saban’s book and send the kids to retirement homes to change bedpans….them probably buy them Dodge Chargers

2. jrs45 says: Oct 4, 2013 6:52 PM

Sec!

3. hoffenstein14 says: Oct 4, 2013 7:40 PM

The problem here is that these players were “required” to attend this play in the first place! We as a free people have the right to not support this liberal homosexual agenda. I’m not saying they should have heckled the actors. They should have refused to attend! They definitely shouldn’t be punished any further than what is mentioned above.

4. irishdodger says: Oct 4, 2013 8:05 PM

The heckling was inexcusable by all attendees, but I agree that if the student has a moral conflict w/ attending a play with subject matte that they disagree with, then they should not have to attend. Doesn’t sensitivity go both ways (no pun intended)?

5. 700levelvet says: Oct 4, 2013 8:33 PM

Sensitivity training will straighten them right out,…

6. 11inthebox says: Oct 4, 2013 8:43 PM

@hoffenstein14
    Clearly you misunderstood the story. It states that attending the performance was a “class requirement.” It was a freshman level it’s a theatre class—which required them to attend live a certain number of live performances.

It’s not a matter of “liberalism” or “conservatism.” For anyone who has gone to school, a “class requirement” is anything that is mandatory in order to complete the class—like reading a certain book or writing a paper on a specific topic.

Once a student signs up for a class, he must complete all of the requirements if he wishes to get credit for that class.

7. responsiblemen says: Oct 4, 2013 8:48 PM

hoffenstein – they players were “forced” to watch this play, and several others, because they signed up to take a theater class where watching plays is part of their grade. Also, this particular play tells the story of a gay man who was murdered for being gay. That is not promoting the “liberal homosexual agenda” as you so ignorantly claimed. The actors aren’t trying to sign you up to vote for same sex marriage or work benefits. The fact is that the players were out of line – period. Nobody deserves to be treated that way…even the people who are different than you. Don’t be an a$$.

8. mikefoxtrottango says: Oct 4, 2013 9:22 PM

This is so gay.

9. mcjon22 says: Oct 4, 2013 9:25 PM

Couldn’t they just keep the Polls/Rankings/Computers and determine the top 4 that way?

And what does Archie Manning and Condoleezza Rice know about football that the average writer/reporter/fan doesn’t?

This is quickly becoming a bad idea.

10. spunhead73 says: Oct 4, 2013 9:56 PM

Hahaha,I like it. I’m sick of hearing about homos and their disgusting lifestyle. They got what they deserve,well done Ole Miss. Keep up the good work.

11. normtide says: Oct 4, 2013 10:21 PM

I agree that it isn’t wrong to object to homosexuality, it’s a person’s right. However, shouting your views during the play isn’t acceptable.

To the first poster, most coaches would love to take a page from Saban’s playbook. Win games, win championships.

12. dryzzt23 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:59 PM

If the play involved any Christianity, then you people would be SCREAMING that the play was “forcing” the students to listen to biblical content and the students should be allowed to scream anti-Christian epithets at the actors.

Yes, all colleges have an extreme left-wing liberal agenda, and yes they force it down their students throats.

13. classyjacklambert says: Oct 5, 2013 12:00 AM

@dryzzt23
    So are you saying that Liberty and BYU are extremely liberal or that they aren’t universities?

14. Slim Charles says: Oct 5, 2013 1:07 AM

Sports comment blogs: Where a play about a gay man brutally murdered for being gay is “promoting a liberal agenda.” Just saying that gays don’t deserve to get murdered for their sexual orientation is offensive to some people. I’d laugh it weren’t so sad.

15. normtide says: Oct 5, 2013 1:13 AM

Maybe I missed a post? I have not read that. Just because I don’t agree with what some people do, it doesn’t mean I wish them harm. People are free to do as they wish. I’m free to disagree with it. Or do you only agree with free thought if it mirrors yours?

16. zerohandicapper says: Oct 5, 2013 1:46 AM

Unejamacated blacks

17. The Grand Occident says: Oct 5, 2013 2:57 AM

If one doesn’t love homosexuals they are considered mentally ill now. America is done.

18. The Grand Occident says: Oct 5, 2013 2:59 AM

The subverters still obsess over this case years later, but have you ever once heard of Jesse Dirkhising? Look up his name. He was kidnapped and murdered by two homosexuals not too long after the incident in Laramie. Laramie played into the homosexual agenda, Jesse’s case didn’t.

19. jimbo75025 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:27 AM

responsiblemen says:Oct 4, 2013 8:48 PM

Also, this particular play tells the story of a gay man who was murdered for being gay. That is not promoting the “liberal homosexual agenda” as you so ignorantly claimed.
    ———–
    Uh, have you ever actually seen this play? The storyline has everything to do with promoting the homosexual agenda.

By the way, the latest research indicates that one of the killers was actually gay and had slept with the murdered kid a few times. Shephard was also known as a drug dealer-think that might have something to do with his murder? Of course that is never mentioned as doesn’t fit with the desired storyline.

20. hatesycophants says: Oct 5, 2013 10:06 AM

You fake Christians and latent homosexuals doth protest too much.

21. spoiledbratswhosuck says: Oct 5, 2013 10:10 AM

While I respect anybody GAY or LESBIAN I would not want to go to a mandatory event like that.

Just like GAY and LESBIANS seek attention and want acceptance from everybody for their lifestyle

I should have my right to not have to see it!

22. classyjacklambert says: Oct 5, 2013 10:37 AM

In my theatre class we were just required to see a certain amount of live plays, they didn’t mandate which ones we saw. Are you sure this particular play was required or that they just missed all the other available plays and this was the last one available to meet their requirements. If they were required to see this particular play, that was a crap move by the teacher since their are a lot of better plays out there and if you really want to educate people about theatre, they should be allowed to pursue their preferred subject matter.

23. sparky151 says: Oct 5, 2013 11:18 AM

There’s a new book on Matthew Shepard that reveals his killer was someone he had slept with previously. It was an intra-gay crime but the play portrays his murder as straight people murdering gays as a hate crime. The play is gay propaganda pure and simple. Whoever chose it for a class assignment should apologize to all the students.

The players of course shouldn’t heckle during the play they shouldn’t have been required to attend. While it may well have been an offensive waste of time to them, heckling disturbs other viewers who wanted to be there.

The story of Jesse Dirkhising is much more tragic than that of Matthew Shepard but it doesn’t serve the cause so it’s been blacked out. Don’t hold your breath waiting for plays about the dangers of gay pedophiles to play widely on college campuses.

24. huskersrock1 says: Oct 5, 2013 12:01 PM

@classyjacklambert

All the universities in the country and you can only name two that are obviously conservative?

Here are some liberal schools for you
    NYU
    UCB
    Ohio State
    Wisconsin le cross and the rest of the system
    U of Texas
    U of Oregan
    Grinnel
    U of washington
    Wesleyan
    Vassar
    Carleton
    Reed

Any more conservative schools to add to your list…..
    Bob Jones

Then I run out.

25. normtide says: Oct 5, 2013 12:02 PM

Maybe oral Roberts.

26. Slim Charles says: Oct 5, 2013 12:12 PM

LOL, now people here are impugning Shepard’s character to subtly imply that he deserved it. Nice work guys

27. jimbo75025 says: Oct 5, 2013 12:35 PM

@Slim Charles

Nobody is impugning Shephards character, simply stating facts which existed in police interviews, etc but are conveniently left out of the narrative as they do not promote the “cause”.

Which sounds better-gay man killed in hate crime or gay drug dealer killed by other gays over a deal gone bad?

What CNN, etc tell you may not be the whole story. They may tell you Baltimore drug lord killed in his house, killer and motive unknown, but you know that Prop Joe was killed by Marlo in a takeover.

28. classyjacklambert says: Oct 5, 2013 12:40 PM

Lol I’m just saying it’s ridiculous to say that all colleges are liberal. I went to a pretty much middle of the road school at Clemson. All of the military schools and academies are conservative as well.

29. frug says: Oct 5, 2013 2:26 PM

@huskersrock1

Umm…

Notre Dame
    UChicago
    Pepperdine
    Texas A&M
    Boston College
    Auburn
    Army
    Navy
    Air Force
    Baylor

And that is just off the top of my head.

30. frug says: Oct 5, 2013 2:33 PM

To clarify, I’m not saying that there is not a liberal tilt in academia (there is), I’m saying the idea that there are only 3 conservative leaning schools in the country is absurd. Most small religiously affiliated schools are conservative as are the service academies. Plus, as Texas A&M and UChicago demonstrate, there are even a few big public universities and elite private secular schools as well.

31. Slim Charles says: Oct 5, 2013 2:58 PM

Alright Jimbo, you convinced me, he deserved to die because gay people gross you out.

32. dretwann says: Oct 5, 2013 4:24 PM

I hadn’t heard this alternate narrative on Sheppard. If it is true, this play is a violation of trust as it is presented as something based on fact. If this alternative view of Sheppard is true, then there is no question that the play is nothing more than gay propaganda.

33. dhardy8207 says: Oct 8, 2013 9:54 AM

“And what does Archie Manning and Condoleezza Rice know about football that the average writer/reporter/fan doesn’t? ”

————————————————–
    First I think you may have posted this on the wrong feed…

Second, “What does Archie Manning know about football?” Really?… The man only played 12 years in the NFL after playing 4 for Ole Miss…Just because he’s not in the record books doesn’t mean Archie Manning wasn’t a great player.

34. 8to80texansblog says: Oct 10, 2013 4:09 PM

There is a difference between being liberal or conservative, and racist and homophobic.

Contrary to popular belief all conservatives aren’t racist and all liberals are socialists.