Texas A&M v Mississippi

Ole Miss football players punished by school for theater slurs

A significant number of Ole Miss football players will be required to complete a sort of sensitivity service after inappropriate behavior at a university theater performance.

According to Hugh Kellenberger, Ole Miss beat reporter for Jackson Clarion-Ledger, reports via Twitter every player in attendance for a performance of “The Laramie Project” will be required to take part in a session on “educational dialogue” at Ole Miss. The school’s athletic department is still in the process of getting more information related to the incident originally reported by The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper at Ole Miss. According to the original report, an estimated 20 football players were among those shouting homophobic slurs and insults at actors Tuesday night during the performance of a play based on a gay male murdered in Laramie, Wyoming.

Attending the play was part of a class requirement and the disturbance caused the school’s athletic director to arrive during the performance. The players issued an apology to the actors after the performance.

“The football players were asked by the athletics department to apologize to the cast,” Ole Miss Theatre Department Chair Rene Pulliam said. “However, I’m not sure the players truly understood what they were apologizing for.”

Ole Miss plays at Auburn this weekend. There is no word on any potential suspensions or further action to be taken by head coach Hugh Freeze.

2017 Ole Miss signee arrested, jailed on burglary charge

police car with siren light closeup

Off the field, it’s not been a good last few days for the Class of 2017.  Or for one SEC program in particular, come to think of it.

According to the Jackson Clarion-Ledger, a member of Ole Miss’ 2017 recruiting class, Tae-Kion Reed, was arrested Tuesday afternoon on a burglary charge.  Other than Reed attempted to burglarize a home, no details of what led to the arrest and charge have been released.

As of this posting, Reed remains jailed, a Lowndes County Jail official confirmed.

The football program is aware of the development. “We are gathering facts on the matter,” a spokesperson told the Clarion-Ledger.

Originally committed to Mississippi State, the three-star defensive tackle flipped to MSU’s Egg Bowl rivals on National Signing Day last month.  He made waves with the manner of his commitment as he tossed a Bulldogs hat across the room before donning a Rebels cap at his signing ceremony.

Chris Weinke confirms he’s joining Alabama football staff

9 Oct 1999:  Chris Weinke #16 of the Florida State Seminoles passes the ball during the game against the Miami Hurricanes at the Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee, Florida. The Seminoles defeated the Hurricanes 31-21. Mandatory Credit: Andy Lyons  /Allsport