If there was ever a lesson about not believing everything you hear during a coaching search, read this post.
Hours after Tony Dungy said on the Dan Patrick Show that he had been contacted by USC about its head coaching vacancy, the school issued a remarkable disclaimer, saying:
USC has been alerted that individuals posing as USC representatives made overtures to two coaches regarding the Trojans’ head coaching position.
In one instance, a person falsely identifying himself as a high-ranking member of the USC athletic department attempted to make contact several times with the Denver Broncos’ coaching staff to discuss the Trojan job. That person has been identified by USC and appropriate action is being taken.
In another, someone claiming to represent USC reached out to a contact of former NFL head coach and current NBC broadcaster Tony Dungy, who said on today’s Dan Patrick Show that he had no interest in the Trojan job. That person, again not a representative of USC, also has been identified and USC is in the process of contacting that individual.
“Tony’s discussion on the radio today of being contacted by USC was a complete surprise to us,” USC Athletic Director Pat Haden said. “So were the calls made to the Broncos. I can assure you no authorized representative of USC or our athletic department made these calls.
It’s pretty rare to see such a detailed denial from a school about a matter like this and it makes at least one thing really clear: That USC really wants everyone to know that neither Jack Del Rio nor Dungy are legitimate candidates for its vacant job.
But it leaves a couple other dangling questions, too. Why would someone pose as a USC representative in this situation? What is there to gain? Could it be that someone attached to another school is hoping to throw a wrench into USC’s search process? Is this an overzealous agent hoping to get his client’s name out there? Was it a member of the media hoping to get the scoop straight from the coach’s mouth?
Based on what we’ve seen so far, this may turn out to be one of the more entertaining coaching searches in quite a while.
Fortunately for both Brandon Powell and Florida, common sense in the league office prevailed.
In the fourth quarter of UF’s loss to Tennessee, Powell was flagged for an unsportsmanlike call and ejected from the game for seemingly throwing a punch at a Vols player. Because of SEC rules, Powell was also set to be suspended from the first half of this Saturday’s game against Vanderbilt.
The conference, however, overturned the suspension upon review, no doubt determining that Vols safety Rashaan Gaulden performed a flop of such magnitude that it would’ve made an international soccer star stand up and cheer, then bow down and claim they’re not worthy.
“We’ve received word that he’ll go,” head coach Jim McElwain said Wednesday. “Nothing from there, so he was full go from Monday afternoon on.”
Powell is currently second on the team with 15 receptions for 145 yards and two touchdowns.
Not surprisingly, the rise of Jalen Hurts has led to some turnover in Alabama’s quarterback room.
Citing unnamed sources, al.com is reporting that Blake Barnett has left the Tide football program and is expected to transfer. Thus far, the school has declined to address Barnett’s status with the team moving forward.
Barnett started the season opener against USC but lasted all of two series before being replaced by the true freshman Hurts. In his three starts since, all wins for the top-ranked Tide, Hurts has completed nearly 64 percent of his passes for 609 yards and three touchdowns. Most importantly, he hasn’t throw an interception, although he did toss one in relief of Barnett.
A five-star 2015 recruit, Barnett was rated as the No. 2 pro-style quarterback in the country and the No. 21 player overall on 247sports.com’s composite board. The 6-5, 200-pounder took a redshirt as a true freshman.
Hurts also adds an extra dimension in the running game as he’s second on the team with 251 yards rushing and tied for the lead with three rushing touchdowns.
Should Barnett move on to another FBS program, he’d likely have to sit out the 2017 season. He’d then have two years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2018.
With Barnett presumably gone, the Tide would likely turn to Cooper Bateman, who served as Jake Coker‘s primary backup last season and started one game, as Hurts’ primary backup.
A rather serious-sounding situation is the latest to trigger a resetting of the “Days Without An Arrest” ticker.
According to the Lafayette Journal & Courier, Martesse Patterson was arrested Wednesday and charged with one count of battery resulting in serious bodily injury. That charge is a felony.
Even more noteworthy is the fact that the charge stems from an altercation with a former teammate, ex-Boilermaker walk-on Alex Hilger. From the Journal & Courier:
Hilger alleged that on Sept. 7, Patterson entered Hilger’s room at their residence in the 800 block of Hayes Street in West Lafayette “to borrow some property.” Hilger told Patterson he was not allowed to borrow the property, but Patterson took it anyway and returned to his room.
According to the affidavit, when Hilger approached Patterson to retrieve his possession, Patterson punched him in the face. Hilger sought treatment at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis after sustaining a broken jaw requiring a two-day hospital stay. The affidavit cites medical records showing Hilger suffered a “displaced fracture of the left mandible and a non-displaced fracture of the right mandible.
Hilger, who played in 12 games last season but is not a member of the team this year, obtained a no-contact order against Patterson, who admitted to police that he both took the property and punched Hilger.
Darrell Hazell is aware of the situation, with a statement saying that the head coach “respects that there is a legal process that he will allow to evolve before further commenting.”
Patterson started the first two games of the season before being demoted for what Hazell described as a “personal matter.” The demotion came shortly after the incident that led to the charge.
Nearly two months after his tragic passing, a cause of death for Zach Hemmila has been confirmed.
Based on the autopsy report filed by the Pima County Sheriff’s Office, the Arizona Republic is reporting that the 22-year-old Hemmila’s death was the result of the combined toxic effects of two different prescription drugs. The two drugs, the Republic noted, were oxymorphone, an opiate painkiller, and alprazolam, an anxiety medication.
From the newspaper’s report:
Chewing tobacco was found in Hemmila’s mouth, according to the autopsy report. No intact pills were discovered in his gastrointestinal system. His lungs were “markedly congested,” per the report.
Hemmila passed away either very late on the night of Aug. 7 or early in the morning Aug. 8. A cousin discovered Hemmila’s body at the Arizona offensive lineman’s residence.
His death has officially been ruled an accident.
“Arizona Athletics continues to mourn the passing of Zach Hemmila,” a statement from the university said in response to the report. “We will honor the family’s request for privacy and support them in any way we can.”
Hemmila started six games last season. He was slated to start at center for the Wildcats this season.
The Wildcats will continue to wear a sticker the No. 65 to honor Hemmila for the remainder of the season.