Washington v Stanford

Shaw fires back at Sarkisian over injury claims

Stanford head coach David Shaw slammed Washington head coach Steve Sarkisian on Tuesday after the Huskies coach accused Stanford of faking injuries in the Cardinal’s 31-28 win this past weekend.

Taking his turn on the Pac-12 coaches’ teleconference weekly teleconference, Shaw said: “We don’t fake injuries, we never have and we never will. I don’t condone it. I don’t teach it. I don’t allow it.”

He also called Sarkisian’s allegations unprofessional and got in a zinger when he pointed out that the only coach in the league who has been known to tell players to fake injuries is on Washington’s staff, defensive line coach Tosh Lupoi, who did so while at California.

“That’s not calling anybody out. That’s just stating a fact. It’s been proven. It’s been admitted and we all have moved on,” Shaw said.

And, as if to twist the knife, Shaw added:

“We didn’t do it against Oregon, so why in the world would we do it against Washington?”

Translation: You’re not Oregon, pal, so simmer down.

Oregon president takes thinly-veiled shot at Brady Hoke

CORVALLIS, OR - NOVEMBER 26: Defensive coordinator Brady Hoke of the Oregon Ducks dresses his players during the third quarter of the game against the Oregon State Beavers at Reser Stadium on November 26, 2016 in Corvallis, Oregon. The Beavers won 34-24. (Photo by Steve Dykes/Getty Images)

Brady Hoke had a miserable one-and-done at Oregon, and this piling on just adds to it.

Brought in to turnaround the Ducks’ defense, Hoke instead was in charge of one of the worst units in the country.  Their play, in very large part, helped bring an abrupt end to Mark Helfrich‘s three-year tenure in Eugene.

Helfrich was officially replaced by USF’s Willie Taggart earlier this week.  The boss of Taggart’s boss, UO president Michael Schill, had one piece of advice and one piece of advice alone for his new head football coach.

Can we take that as confirmation that Hoke won’t be retained by the new regime?  At least statistically, though, the president has a point, no matter how clumsily or ill-advised it may have been.

Out of the 128 teams listed on the NCAA’s official stats website, the Ducks were 126th in scoring and yards allowed; 121st in third-down percentage and rushing yards allowed; 117th in turnovers forced; and 114th in passing yards. Last season, the Ducks were 114th in scoring and 116th in yards.

And Taggart’s defense this season? The Bulls were 86th in scoring defense and 120th in yards allowed.  So, there’s that.

Malik Zaire pens thank-you note to Notre Dame students, staff

SOUTH BEND, IN - SEPTEMBER 10: Malik Zaire #9 of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish throws a pass in the second half against the Nevada Wolf Pack at Notre Dame Stadium on September 10, 2016 in South Bend, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)