Travis Wilson

Utah shocks No. 5 Stanford

7 Comments

On a Saturday filled with upsets, Utah’s 27-21 win over No. 5 Stanford was the biggest of them all.

Utah quarterback Travis Wilson rebounded from a six-interception performance last week against UCLA by throwing for 234 yards and two touchdowns as the Utes shocked the Cardinal in Salt Lake City.

While Wilson’s play was big, the difference in the game was the performance of the Utah defense. The Cardinal opened the scoring on a 7-play, 75-yard drive to start the game, but the Utes limited the Cardinal to just 135 yards on their next eight possessions, including four punts, two fumbles and a missed field goal. A Stanford offense littered with NFL talent scored just two touchdowns.

Meanwhile, Utah went to work against the usually stingy Stanford defense, piling up 410 yards of offense and 21 first downs. The running game found room behind Bubba Poole’s 111 yards.  By the time Stanford woke up, the Utes led 27-14 and an upset was brewing.

That’s when the Cardinal decided to make a game of it.

Kevin Hogan led Stanford on a 52-yard scoring drive that ended with a 7-yard touchdown pass to Devon Cajuste with a little over nine minutes to play. That drive took only four plays and, after forcing Utah to punt, the Cardinal got the ball back on their own 12-yard line with 7:53 to play. Plenty of time, right?

Well, this is where Stanford miscalculated. Instead of playing with urgency, the Cardinal went on a methodical 13-play, 82-yard drive that ate up over seven minutes on the clock.  By the time Stanford was set up with a first down at the Utah 14-yard line, the clock was down to its final couple minutes and it was do or die for the Cardinal.

On a 4th and 2 from the six-yard line, Hogan overthrew Cajuste in the back of the end zone. Utah took over, took a knee and the raucous crown at Rice-Eccles Stadium stormed the field. It was Hogan’s first loss as Stanford’s starting quarterback.

“They outplayed us, they outcoached us, they beat us,” said Stanford coach David Shaw.

He’s right. But history has shown that the Cardinal aren’t out of the national title picture just yet. A lot of football is yet to be played and Stanford still has a date with Oregon on Nov. 7.

Meanwhile, Utah finally showed that it belongs in the Pac-12. This win was its first over a top five team at home and the Utes have to be considered one of the more underrated teams in the country at this point. If not for a 3-point overtime loss to Oregon State and a one-touchdown loss to UCLA, the Utes would be 6-0 and ranked in the top 15.

Instead, their 4-2 record is a testament to the toughness of the Pac-12, perhaps the nation’s top league this year.

Texas’ plunder of Baylor’s recruiting class continues

SAN ANTONIO, TX - DECEMBER 30:  Texas Longhorns mascot Bevo wears a harness in honor of head coach Mack Brown during the Valero Alamo Bowl against the Oregon Ducks at the Alamodome on December 30, 2013 in San Antonio, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Make that four new additions to Texas’ 2016 recruiting class in late June.

The school announced Wednesday that Patrick Hudson, an in-state offensive lineman from Silsbee, has signed a financial aid agreement and is expected to enroll in Austin in July when the second summer session begins.

Hudson is a four-star prospect and the 50th-best player in the country according to 247Sports’ composite rankings.

He signed with Baylor in February but was granted a release from his letter of intent after a report accusing members of the school and athletics department of mishandling accusations and incidents of sexual assault delved the school into controversy.

J.P. Urquidez and brothers Devin and Donovan Duvernay also signed with the Longhorns in the past week.

“We’re really excited to have Patrick joining our program,” Texas coach Charlie Strong said in a release. “Patrick coming to Texas, along with J.P. and Donovan earlier this week, are tremendous additions to an already impressive class of 2016. Patrick and J.P. are two big, physical, talented linemen, and Donovan is an explosive athlete who has played on both sides. We’re looking forward to getting them on campus and working with the team.”

Urquidez is also a four-star offensive lineman while Devin Duvernay is a four-star receiver and Donovan Duvernay is a three-star athlete per 247Sports.

Texas’ class is ranked seventh nationally and No. 1 in the Big 12 as Strong looks to put a rocky start to his tenure behind him and return the Longhorns to national prominence.

They start the season with a visit from Notre Dame on Sept. 4.

Northwestern remembers Randy Walker 10 years after his passing

2650084
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Ten years ago Wednesday, the college football world was rocked by the unexpected and sudden loss of Northwestern coach Randy Walker.

The athletics department produced a touching video tribute to the man who suffered a heart attack at the age of 52, seven years into his tenure in Evanston.

Walker’s death unexpectedly thrust a young former Wildcats linebacker named Pat Fitzgerald into the head coach’s chair.

“I would prefer to be toasting to his longevity right now,” Fitzgerald says in the video.

Walker posted a 37-45 mark at Northwestern, including a surprising 8-4 campaign in 2000.

That followed a successful nine-year run at Miami University, the southwest Ohio school where he was a player.

Report: Ole Miss violations laid out to NCAA by stepfather of Laremy Tunsil

MISSISSIPPI TEXAS A&M
Associated Press
10 Comments

The Mississippi football program might not find out its NCAA fate very soon, but the rest of the world learned more specifics regarding the accusations the Rebels face Wednesday.

Sports Illustrated published the results of its investigation, including specific allegations levied by a man in the process of getting a divorce from the mother of star offensive lineman Laremy Tunsil.

Lindsey Miller detailed several potentially serious violations involving Tunsil and his family, and SI was able to view some of the information he says he turned over to the NCAA during extensive interviews.

The NCAA’s Notice of Allegations is consistent with Miller’s claims in numerous places, including 12 occasions of free lodging that totaled $2,253. Miller says he told the NCAA those nights were arranged by boosters he met through [Mississippi DL coach Chris] Kiffin, but the NCAA never found that link. Kiffin’s name appears 13 times in the Notice of Allegations, but none of those prove he set Miller up with boosters.

Tunsil was part of a surprisingly star-studded recruiting class in 2013, but head coach Hugh Freeze has consistently defended his program against accusations his recruiting success was thanks to illegal methods.

Freeze, who took over as coach in December 2011, may minimize the NCAA’s case, but nine of the 13 football allegations relate to his tenure there. (Four allegations, including fraudulent ACT scores, occurred under former coach Houston Nutt.) There are four Level I violations under Freeze and a significant Level II failure to monitor charge in which the NCAA says the athletic department and football program failed to monitor Tunsil driving three different loaner cars between August 2014 and June 2015. (That latter allegation is the one Ole Miss is disputing.)

Perhaps complicating matters is the fact Miller went to the NCAA only after having a fallout with Tunsil and his mother, Desiree Polingo, during the summer of 2015.

Polingo denied Miller’s accusations via a statement to SI, and in another statement a lawyer for Tunsil told SI, “You have to consider the source.”

Mississippi has already admitted to 12 of the 13 allegations and self-imposed penalties, but it remains to be seen if the NCAA Committee on Infractions will find the punishment sufficient or more is added.

The full SI story goes into deeper detail about the situations facing not only Ole Miss athletics but also the NCAA enforcement model itself.

NCAA announces common-sense change to bowl selection process

SANTA CLARA, CA - DECEMBER 26:  Andy Janovich #35 of the Nebraska Cornhuskers jumps over Jayon Brown #12 of the UCLA Bruins during the Foster Farms Bowl at Levi's Stadium on December 26, 2015 in Santa Clara, California.  (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
Getty Images
11 Comments

The NCAA Division I council announced 5-7 teams will still have a chance to make a bowl this fall.

They will have to wait until all of the 6-6 teams have been picked, though.

The common sense rule tweak was announced Wednesday.

Nebraska, Minnesota and San Jose State all made bowls last season despite finishing the regular season 5-7, and coincidentally they all won.

In a statement, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, who serves as chair of the football oversight committee, said the postseason selection process “makes sense and is fair to the schools and the bowls.”

APR scores will continue to be used to designate which 5-7 teams are eligible to take up the bowl slots left available after all of the 6-6 teams have been selected.

After swelling to 41 games last season, the postseason is not set to expand again until at least the 2020 season as a result of a moratorium on the certification of new bowls was established by the council in April.