Tuitt says he’s returning to Irish for another season

National Signing Day is still months down the road, but Notre Dame may have already received its biggest commitment for 2014.  Maybe.

Speaking to the school’s student newspaper, the Observer, All-American defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt was asked about his plans for 2014.  As a junior, Tuitt would be eligible to make himself available for the April NFL draft next year.

Instead, and at least for now, Tuitt plans on continuing his collegiate playing career in South Bend.

I’m coming back next year,” Tuitt said. “I’m a junior. I still have one year,”

As noted by NBCSports.com‘s Keith Arnold, however, it may not be that simple.

Shortly after the student newspaper’s story hit the Internet, Tuitt took to Twitter and tweeted, “Can’t Believe everything you read. Goodnight.”  That tweet was taken down a short time later.

Of course, Tuitt, who’s viewed as a first-round draft pick if he were to come out early, could change his mind over the next three months or so regardless of what’s in his head at the moment.  Eligible underclassmen have until mid-January to file their paperwork with the NFL.

Coming off a 2012 season in which he led the Irish with 12 sacks, Tuitt was a second-team All-American according to the Associated Press and Walter Camp.  He has three sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss this season.

(Tip O’ the Cap: NFL.com)

UNC banned Miami’s turnover chain creator from contact with Tar Heels

AP Photo/Lynne Sladky