Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota is the strong leader in the Heisman race, according to a poll of Heisman voters released by USA Today on Monday.
All eight of the players appearing on the ballots were quarterbacks, which shouldn’t be a shock considering 11 of the last 12 winners have been quarterbacks.
Breaking down the ballots (three points are awarded for a first-place votes, two for second and one for third):
1. QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon: 17 firsts-3 seconds-1 third=58 points
2. QB Jameis Winston, Florida State: 3-11-6=37
3. QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M: 1-7-9=26
4. QB Bryce Petty, Baylor: 1-0-1=4
5. QB AJ McCarron Alabama: 0-0-3=3
QB Derek Carr, Fresno State: 0-1-0=2
QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville: 0-0-1=1
QB Sean Mannion, Oregon State: 0-0-1=1