Skip to content

Nick Saban confirms: Vinnie Sunseri out for season

Alabama v Texas A&M Getty Images

Alabama’s path to Atlanta and Pasadena is clear, but they’ll have to navigate it without safety Vinnie Sunseri.

Coach Nick Saban confirmed Sunseri will undergo surgery on his left knee, injured in Alabama’s 52-0 win over Arkansas Saturday, and will miss the rest of the season (via Sunseri, who injured himself on kickoff coverage in the first quarter, had two interceptions this season and returned both for touchdowns.

Alabama got safety HaHa Clinton-Dix back from a suspension Saturday, so they won’t be entirely bereft of season-opening starters at both free and strong safety.

And of course, because Alabama is Alabama, the guy replacing Sunseri is sophomore Landon Collins — formerly a five-star recruit ranked as the No. 1 player in Alabama and the No. 2 safety in the recruiting class of 2012.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Alabama Crimson Tide, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts
9 Responses to “Nick Saban confirms: Vinnie Sunseri out for season”
  1. Anoesis says: Oct 21, 2013 1:59 PM

    Alabama is college football’s 1%. No wonder the other 99% want to occupy them.

  2. Deb says: Oct 21, 2013 2:56 PM

    I’m glad we always have strong recruits waiting in the wings. But still hate this for the team and for Sunseri.

  3. dickroy says: Oct 21, 2013 3:31 PM

    @ Deb

    Sorry about Vinnie, but I don’t think it will make your Tide underdogs to my Vols this week end.
    Its that time of year again. We are getting better each week. Hope soon we can get back to that great rivalry we used to have every year. Good luck. I will still admire you if we get stomped.
    At least our Steelers now have two in a row!!

  4. honeymoonsean says: Oct 21, 2013 3:38 PM

    Sorry to lose Vinnie – he is a warrior.

    And BTW Collins is from Louisiana, not Alabama.

  5. dickroy says: Oct 21, 2013 3:43 PM

    Hate to see a player injured, especially season ending, even from a rival.

  6. jason1214 says: Oct 21, 2013 5:08 PM

    Tough for Vinnie. He is very easy to like from a far, with his play. Roll Tide Roll

  7. Deb says: Oct 21, 2013 5:51 PM

    @dickroy …

    We can still be friends, except for three hours on Saturday 😀

    Tennessee is looking good! People squeaking about the SEC’s losses don’t seem to realize how difficult it is to play in the SEC!! Expecting a tough game from the Vols.

    Was having a tough weekend, and the Steelers gave me a huge lift Sunday. I always cry when we win, and they had me slobbering all over the place :)

  8. dickroy says: Oct 22, 2013 7:49 AM

    @ Deb

    Thanks Deb. The SEC is the hardest conference to play in. Yep, you are right. 3 hours only, my friend!!

  9. dhardy8207 says: Oct 22, 2013 9:47 AM

    I saw his reaction to the trainers on the sidelines and knew there wasn’t going to be a good outcome…

    Hope Vinnie heals quickly and completely, he has truly been a valuable player to the Tide over his collegiate career….

    Wishing Vinnie a speedy recovery!


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!