Skip to content

USC’s second-leading rusher lost for rest of season

Justin Davis, Dominique Williams AP

Last season’s leading rusher for USC, Silas Redd, missed most of the first half of this season with a lingering knee injury.  This season’s leading rusher, Tre Madden, sat out the Notre Dame loss with a hamstring injury.

Now, the Trojans’ second-leading rusher in 2013 has been sidelined with an injury issue of his own.

According to the football program’s official blog, Justin Davis will miss the remainder of the 2013 season with an ankle injury.  He suffered the injury in the Irish game.

Davis had already been ruled out of this weekend’s game against Utah.

More details about the specific nature of the injury are expected to be released at some point today.

The true freshman’s 361 yards are second on the team behind Madden, and his six rushing touchdowns are tops on the Trojans.  In a late September loss to Arizona State, Davis rushed for 122 yards — on 10 carries — and three touchdowns.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pac-12 Conference, Rumor Mill, Top Posts, USC Trojans
11 Responses to “USC’s second-leading rusher lost for rest of season”
  1. boyd11 says: Oct 23, 2013 10:19 AM

    USC should, at the very least, sue the NCAA for their blatant disregard for player safety. USC isn’t only limited to 75 scholarships but also only 15 recruits per year. So each year of the penalties they are falling further below 75 scholarship players. Trying to practice or play games with only 40 something scholarship players, which they are doing this week, is unbelievable.
    I’ve heard rumors that player parents want to forfeit games to avoid further injuries to their children– crazy as it sound I understand where they are coming from.
    I would be shocked if USC didn’t sue the NCAA and win big time.

  2. xtremesportsmaniac says: Oct 23, 2013 10:42 AM

    Boyd11,
    USC should have gone after the NCAA along time ago and didn’t, so there is no reason to believe they will now.

    The best thing that can happen is for McNair to win his lawsuit against the NCAA and for the details of the case to make it to the media.

    About a year ago it sounded like the judge in the case was going to release some emails sent around by the COI but I guess NCAA lawyers were able to stop it from happening.

    The big question is how long is Emmert going to be able to keep his job? Seriously , why is there not more heat on this guy to resign.

  3. stoicpaisano says: Oct 23, 2013 11:50 AM

    “USC isn’t only limited to 75 scholarships but also only 15 recruits per year. So each year of the penalties they are falling further below 75 scholarship players. Trying to practice or play games with only 40 something scholarship players, which they are doing this week, is unbelievable.”

    Are they restricted from reaching the 105-man limit by taking a few extra walk-ons? No? Then player safety is a non-starter. There’s 17k students on campus and a ton of JUCOs/CCs in a football-crazed state from which to pull 15-20 bodies.

    I feel USC was unfairly punished by the sanctions, but there’s simply no correlation with the number of injuries.

  4. xtremesportsmaniac says: Oct 23, 2013 12:48 PM

    Stoicpaisano,

    You can’t just pull Doug from Science class and make him a D1 caliber football player he would get killed out there.

    USC also has had problems getting Juco players to be able to qualify and USC is a very expensive school to attend.

    Boyd11 is correct the scholarship limitations are putting people at risk. USC has 0 healthy scholarship TE’s and 1 healthy scholarship WR.
    USC also has been playing some non scholarship athletes and will continue.

    The NCAA wanted to destroy USC and in the short term they have gotten what they wanted.

  5. boyd11 says: Oct 23, 2013 2:20 PM

    Agreed xtremesportsmaniac, high quality walk-ons usually don’t chose to go to USC and pay $50,000 per year. Some slow 180 pound walk-on tight end with a couple years of high school ball isn’t going to stop a blitzing pac-12 linebacker from knocking Kessler out of the game. Other problems from the numbers stand point- say 3-5 players get hurt in a week of practice plus game, that’s around 10% USC’s current healthy scholarship players lost. It’s a vicious cycle- less scholarships- more practice reps and game reps per scholarship player, higher % of team lost each week. Yep- your right the NCAA wanted to destroy USC and they did.

  6. pdcooper08 says: Oct 23, 2013 2:22 PM

    From the college stand point, I agree with points being made. On the other hand, I look at what the pro game does on a weekly bases. They have no more then 55 on a team and I believe there game is faster and the risk of injury greater. The staff here at SC kinda needs to take the same approach to this season. Look, it is what it is. There’s no where to hide and quiting isn’t an option. Sorry moms of the players. So suck it up and finish it out. There’s not really any other options. Fight On!

  7. arrogantnation says: Oct 23, 2013 2:23 PM

    When it rains it pours.

  8. xtremesportsmaniac says: Oct 23, 2013 2:36 PM

    pdcooper,

    The NFL does have a 53 man roster but they also sign new players or make a trade when a man goes down.

    I agree with no excuses go out and play.

  9. scbaby2013 says: Oct 23, 2013 5:16 PM

    I hate Miami Paul dee and emmerit they can all suck it

  10. scbaby2013 says: Oct 23, 2013 5:19 PM

    And let’s not forget guys this is college ball not the nfl so these lack of bodies for practice and games are not just damning for trying to win games but keeping bodies fresh and from getting hurt

  11. stoicpaisano says: Oct 23, 2013 5:27 PM

    “It’s a vicious cycle- less scholarships- more practice reps and game reps per scholarship player, higher % of team lost each week. Yep- your right the NCAA wanted to destroy USC and they did.”

    Are Kiffin and Orgeron on record as having to change the practice routine due to a lack of bodies? That could make the Trojans unprepared (or conversely, overworked) for games and touch off a vicious cycle, though they have indeed brought extra walk-ons to fill their 105-man roster (game notes list 109 men).

    Also, I submit that the reductions may equal SC’s players trying to play through bumps and bruises due to lack of depth, but don’t know if the trends follow that. Are serious injuries ramping up for SC?I see that they used more players versus Notre Dame (53) than they did in the WSU home opener (47), when they were ostensibly healthier. Further, those numbers don’t seem way out of whack. Small sample size, but my team has played 50, 49 and 51 players in their three conference contests (my team is under scholarship reductions and summer attrition left them at 76 on opening day).

    Last two questions which Haden/Orgeron have to own, if true:
    1. Kiffin banked five scholarships in February and willfully started his team at 70 this season?

    2. 330-pound offensive lineman Jordan Simmons suffered a season-ending injury in practice while acting as a wide receiver? Why is that a part of practice?

    Thanks in advance.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!