Skip to content

Miami looking for scholarship ‘credits’ from NCAA

Sebastian Getty Images

Shortly after the NCAA (finally) announced its sanctions on the Miami football program earlier this week, the university confirmed that it would not appeal either the Committee on Infraction’s findings or the punitive measures.

That doesn’t mean, however, that The U won’t be looking to lessen the severity of one facet of the penalties.

Athletic director Blake James told the Miami Herald that he’s hopeful the nine scholarships the football program will lose over the next three years will be lessened based on UM’s actions in the years leading up to the sanctions.   Specifically, the Herald writes, the school “already had begun making ‘internal adjustments’ to keep its scholarship numbers down with the hope of either receiving credit for it from the NCAA or being in a position where the losses wouldn’t be devastating when sanctions finally hit.”

By the paper’s count, the Hurricanes would have 82 players on scholarship for 2014, based on a current roster of 75 scholarship players and with 19 seniors exiting following the 2013 season and 26 non-binding verbal commitments for the next recruiting class.  That number, of course, is a moving target as players could leave for the NFL early or get dismissed from the team or suffer career-ending injuries or myriad other reasons.

The fact that Miami, for whatever reason, did not bring up the scholarship issue when they appeared before the COI has baffled one of the foremost authorities on NCAA bylaws and compliance issues.

“I really struggle to see the logic in this kind of secret scholarship restriction they may have imposed,” former compliance officer John Infante said. “The only reason I would think you would do it is because you wanted to sort of naturally get your scholarship numbers down instead of having a very small recruiting class once the sanctions hit.

“I don’t even know what kind of process it would serve to say, ‘Here’s this thing we did, we didn’t bring it up in the case, we’re not really appealing, but we still want you to consider it.’ That’s not really how appeals work or the reconsideration of how a penalty works. If you didn’t bring that up then I think you’ve kind of lost that opportunity.”

The university has apparently already been in contact with the NCAA regarding the scholarship issue as a source told the paper that there is no timeline for when The U will hear back from The Association.  Obviously, the school is hoping for a determination one way or another before National Signing Day early next February.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlantic Coast Conference, Miami Hurricanes, Rumor Mill, Top Posts
9 Responses to “Miami looking for scholarship ‘credits’ from NCAA”
  1. atxcane says: Oct 24, 2013 10:40 AM

    Dunno why it wasn’t brought up at the COI hearing, but recall the ruling was expected before the season began. Miami was managing the roster *this* season for at least a 5 schollie hit (roster is currently in the 70s). Considering the delay of the ruling into the season, I think it’s only fair to let the Canes start the clock this year, 3 scholarships.

    Would be awesome to take the full 9 this year, but I’m not holding my breath.

  2. ahugusf says: Oct 24, 2013 11:08 AM

    How many will be on scholarships for the Glee Club?

  3. canetic says: Oct 24, 2013 12:18 PM

    America’s Team has always been one step ahead of the NCAA.

  4. cupajoe41 says: Oct 24, 2013 1:39 PM

    Message to the “U”, take your wrist slap, count your blessings it was not worse, and move on! UM did the right things , in the self opposed sanctions, and caught a few breaks. Your one of the few programs in NCAA history that came out an ruling, with the ability to still compete for a BCS bowl and national title in the same year.

  5. unczsz1978 says: Oct 24, 2013 1:53 PM

    As usual the Ghetto gets away with it.

    So sick and tired of cheats.

  6. crazycane says: Oct 24, 2013 3:08 PM

    Message to cupajoe41, mind your business

  7. ratsfoiledagain says: Oct 24, 2013 5:25 PM

    Lucky the NCAA is a mess right now. They screwed up the investigation big time, but what was unearthed wasn’t contrived at all. And it dated back to 1992.

    While I don’t believe the canes would have received the death penalty, they’re lucky, even with their self imposed bans, they didn’t get hammered more.

    This just shows how bad the NCAA is right now.

  8. phinswinafceast says: Oct 25, 2013 5:14 PM

    Everyone says Miami got off easy, and while the end result may look that way, just consider how difficult of a task it was to even get kids to come play for the U when every coach was using negative recruiting tactics against us. For Golden and the kids that decided to play here to endure this friggin mess and uncertainty and to come out smelling like roses is just beyond belief. Those last two years were unbearable with the lack of recruits coming in, and the self imposed bowl bans when you have a chance to play your arch enemy in FSU one more time. I was pretty angry with big wigs at UM, but now I have to say that the kids we have and the coaches worked their butts off to be in this position. Go Canes, eye on the prize, beat WF!

  9. phinswinafceast says: Oct 25, 2013 5:15 PM

    great choice in pictures to show for this article. Canes coming out of the fog of uncertainty ready to take on the next opponent!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!