Bielema files complaint with SEC over Auburn video

37 Comments

For whatever reason, Bret Bielema and the Auburn football program simply can’t play nice together.

At the SEC media days over the summer, AU head coach Gus Malzahn labeled Bielema’s criticisms of up-tempo offenses as “a joke,” with the UA coach responding, “I’m not a comedian.”  During summer camp, a former Tiger and current Razorback assistant coach tweeted well-wishes to an injured Hog; Bielema had yet to release the injury information, which did not sit well with the coach.

Monday, the kerfuffle between the coaches/programs bled into the regular season.

Unprompted, al.com said, Bielema brought up during a teleconference Monday an issue he had with the video sent over by Auburn, this Saturday’s opponent.  Essentially, Bielema accused AU of short-sheeting the game film from its win over FAU this past weekend.

Bielema and his staff had watched a television broadcast of the Tigers-Owls game, then watched the game film sent by AU.  It was at that point they noticed what they alleged was creative editing on Auburn’s part.

“There are just some clips that haven’t — shall we say, the TV copy doesn’t match the film copy,” Bielema said Monday. “And it’s something we have kind of been aware of now for the last week and half in getting our preparation. So we can use other film and stuff like that to make sure we are getting the full picture.”

The issue was sufficient enough that a complaint was filed with the SEC; a source told al.com that the conference had no major issue with the video Auburn sent.  Interestingly, however, the paper noted that Bielema may have bent-to-the-point-of-breaking an SEC bylaw that prohibits coaches from discussing with the media any video issues such as the one the head coach raised yesterday.

Despite the formal complaint to the SEC, Bielema is certain (eye roll) that Gus Malzahn will have this glitch corrected moving forward.

I’m sure it’s a glitch,” Bielema said. “I know Gus stands for everything that’s right and (has) great faith in doing things right. So, I’m sure it’s just a glitch that they’ll get to the bottom of.”

(Writer’s note: I’ll give you time to scrub the sarcasm off your screen… waiting… and we’re good.)

The mini-brouhaha is the latest off-field hiccup for Bielema in his first season at the school.  The hiccups have been aplenty on the field as well, with Arkansas having lost five straight games heading into the matchup Saturday with an Auburn team ranked in the Top 10 in Malzahn’s first season as AU’s head coach.

While the Tigers are second in the SEC West behind Alabama, the Razorbacks have lost all four of their conference games — and have lost them by an average of over 32 points per game (44.7-12.5).  Saturday’s game against Auburn will mark Arkansas’ fifth straight game against a ranked SEC team; that’s the first time since UA joined the conference in 1992 that has happened to any team in the league.

Victim of alleged WKU football attack plans to file charges

Getty Images
Leave a comment

A former Western Kentucky fraternity member says he was attacked by a group of Hilltoppers football players and plans to file charges.

Jerald Armfield, an alum of WKU’s Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, told WBKO-TV he was caught in an ongoing feud between the fraternity and the football team:

“I went to the house in the best interest of the fraternity and Western as a whole to prevent any type of violence from occurring. We got up there and realized they were all hiding behind garbage cans, trees, and buildings.”

“I never in my wildest dreams thought they would attack me in the manner that they did. They all started surrounding me. One of them threw a rock at me. It was within a few seconds that one of them punched me in the face.”

“I fell down. I was kicked several times. The whole time they were beating me, I was begging them to stop, telling them I wasn’t here the night before, I had nothing to to do with it, like please stop, please stop, and they didn’t.”

Armfield said between nine and 10 people ultimately attacked him; it isn’t known for sure how many of that group are on the football team, though the program’s involvement in the incident is being investigated.

“We are aware of the allegations involving a few members of our football team,” the program said in the statement when word of the altercation broke three weeks ago. “We are cooperating fully with the authorities. However, at this time, we have not received a police report and cannot provide further comment.”

While the status of the investigation is currently unknown, Armfield told WBKO he would like it to end with multiple charges. “I made it very clear that night when the police arrived on the scene that I wanted charges pressed,” he said. “As far as I know a detective from Bowling Green Police Department has it. As it stands right now, I still want charges pressed. They need to be held accountable for what they did not only as citizens but as students at Western.”

Baylor moves to dismiss lawsuit claiming 52 rapes over 3-year period

Getty Images
3 Comments

Baylor has filed a motion to dismiss a lawsuit claiming 31 football players committed 52 rapes over a 3-year period from 2011-14. The school is citing the expiration of the statute of limitations and that the allegations do not meet the level of “deliberate indifference,” according to the Waco Tribune-Herald.

The suit was initially filed in late January who anonymously claimed she was raped by then-Bears football players Tre'Von Armstead and Shaymichael Chatman in 2013. Armstead and Chatman have both been indicted for that incident. Armstead was arrested earlier this month in Las Vegas in charges of resisting arrest in addition to the 2013 case.

Baylor also challenged the suit’s claim of a widespread culture of sexual violence, including claims the Baylor Bruins hostess program was encouraged to sleep with recruits in order to entice them to Baylor.

“Baylor does not agree with or concede the accuracy of plaintiff’s 146-paragraph complaint and its immaterial and inflammatory assertions,” the motion states.

Former offensive coordinator Kendal Briles told a recruit, according to the suit, “Do you like white women? Because we have a lot of them at Baylor and they love football players.”

 

Mark Dantonio breaks silence to reveal additional player suspensions

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mark Dantonio broke his silence Tuesday to talk about all the things he couldn’t talk about.

Speaking publicly for the first time since National Signing Day, Dantonio said more players have been suspended in addition to the three players and one staff member already suspended in connection with an ongoing sexual assault investigation. There are actually three investigations ongoing — a criminal probe, a Title IX investigation and an outside evaluation of the football program.

How many additional  players were suspended in conjunction with the investigations? Dantonio couldn’t say.

When were they suspended? Dantonio couldn’t say.

When were the original three players suspended? Dantonio couldn’t say.

How, one may wonder, has Michigan State managed to keep the suspended players’ identities secret despite spring practice now being a full month old? Easy: the Spartans have essentially shielded a black cloak around the entire program. The media hasn’t been allowed to watch practice. No depth charts or rosters have been released. No photos or videos have been produced. The content on @MSU_Football has vaguely referred to the ongoing spring practices by referencing the April 1 spring game, but all other tweets have centered around Michigan State’s involvement in the NFL Draft or the basketball Spartans’ NCAA Tournament berth. The program didn’t even comment on two players’ announced transfers throughout the offseason.

Dantonio even deemed it “trivial” to discuss Michigan State’s quarterback derby. The one piece of actual Spartans football news Dantonio revealed? Linebacker Drake Martinez, he of the one tackle in two appearances last season, has transferred.

Greg Sankey releases statement against Arkansas guns-at-sporting events law

Getty Images
2 Comments

The state of Arkansas has passed a law that allows concealed-carry handguns on publicly-owned property, which would include college sporting events.

Since it was realized immediately upon the bill’s announcement what a terrible, horrendous idea allowing lubed-up sports fans to bring handguns with them to the game would be, the law was quickly amended to exclude college sporting events.

But on Tuesday, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey released a statement arguing for Razorbacks events to be exempted from the law.

To date, Arkansas AD Jeff Long and head football coach Bret Bielema have yet to comment on the law, and Sankey’s statement today is likely coordinated with that — pushing the buck upwards while not crossing those in the Natural State that may be in favor of the bill.