Georgia Tech v Georgia

Aaron Murray, Derek Carr headline Academic Heisman finalists

Neither are on track to contend for the Heisman Trophy this year, but Georgia’s Aaron Murray and Fresno State’s Derek Carr are both up for the William V. Campbell Trophy — otherwise known as the Academic Heisman.

The two quarterbacks are among 18 finalists announced by the National Football Foundation on Thursday, joining six other FBS players: Michigan State LB Max Bullough, Oklahoma OL Gabe Ikard, Nebraska OL Spencer Long, Iowa LB James Morris, Duke OL Perry Simmons and Penn State OL John Urschel.

The other finalists: Northwest Missouri State QB Trevor Adams, Johns Hopkins (Md.) LB John Arena, Coastal Carolina WR Niccolo Mastromatteo, Cornell QB Jeff Mathews, Texas A&M-San Antonio QB Eric Soza, West Texas A&M QB Dustin Vaughn, Appalachian State WR Tony Washington and Augustana (Ill.) LB Erik Westerberg.

The Campbell Trophy/Academic Heisman will be awarded on Dec. 10 in New York.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx