Or, with an alternate headline: “Hands off Texas, others.”
Chuck Carlton of the Dallas Morning News reported Wednesday evening that Baylor and head coach Art Briles have reached an agreement on a three-year contract extension. When added to the eight-year extension he signed last year, Briles is now signed through the 2023 season.
Briles would be 68 years old in the final year of the new contract.
The university subsequently confirmed that the new deal was approved by regents Wednesday night.
“Art Briles and Baylor are a wonderful fit,” athletic director Ian McCaw said in a statement. “We are grateful for his long-term commitment and desire to lead Baylor football forward for many years to come. Baylor Nation is indebted to Coach Briles for his vision, passion and dedication to rebuilding Baylor football and turning it into a destination job.”
As Baylor is a private university, they are not compelled to release the financials details of Briles’ contract. Under the terms of his last deal, Briles was reportedly set to average $3.5 annually through 2020; it’s fair to say that an enhanced compensation package is part of this new deal.
The most important aspect of the deal, Carlton reported, is that it contains significant buyout language; what the exact number of the buyout would be is not detailed. Briles name has come up in connection to a USC job that’s already open and a University of Texas job that’s not, although neither of those well-heeled athletic departments would blink at most eight-figure sums.
In his six-plus seasons with the Bears, Briles has compiled a 41-30 overall record and a 22-25 mark in Big 12 play. The past two-plus seasons, BU is 26-8, including a spotless 8-0 mark that has them ranked No. 4 nationally and in line for its first-ever BCS bowl and, possibly, first-ever appearance in the BCS title game.
Baylor’s on-going scandal over reported sexual assaults looks like it is about to get even uglier.
Former head coach Art Briles has filed a lawsuit for libel and slander against three school regents and a vice president, according to the Associated Press, accusing them of falsely stating he knew of sexual assaults by players and didn’t report them.
Perhaps most eyebrow-raising is that the lawsuit also accuses the officials of conspiring to keep him from getting another coaching job. Briles has been connected to openings such as the one at Houston but school officials quickly denied reports that he was formally considered for the vacant head coaching spot.
Briles was fired in the spring by Baylor after an investigation from law firm Pepper Hamilton determined the school mishandled reports of alleged sexual assaults, some of which involved numerous football players. The coach denied he knew about the alleged assaults but several regents — including the three named in the recent lawsuit — told the Wall Street Journal on the record that Briles failed to report alleged assaults.
While the football team may be looking to move on from all of this with the recent hire of Matt Rhule as the new head coach, it appears the school itself will continue to deal with the fallout from one of the worst scandals in college football history.
College football recruiting has kicked into full gear the past few weeks and one of the more interesting decisions this month that could have a big impact on next season is finding out which school former Baylor quarterback Jarrett Stidham will be playing for in 2017.
The signal-caller threw for 12 touchdowns and over 1,200 yards after taking over as the Bears starter midway through last year but he opted to transfer away from the program this summer when Art Briles was fired as the result of a sexual assault scandal at the school. While many have considered SEC schools such as Auburn, Texas A&M and Florida to be the favorites to land the coveted junior college QB, there may be another school that is in the running too: whichever program hires Baylor offensive coordinator Kendal Briles.
“KB is my dude,” Stidham told ESPN.com. “I’m super tight with him. I still talk to him all the time. I’m still waiting to see what happens with him and where he might go and just take it into consideration.”
It remains to be seen if new head coach Matt Rhule will retain the younger Briles but it seems unlikely given the events in Waco the past six months and the school likely wanting a complete divorce from the previous regime. Kendal Briles own job prospects seem a bit unknown given everything at play but it could be an interesting combination for a head coach looking to jump start an offense.
There’s always talk of package deals in college basketball but this would be a potential one in football that may draw some interest.
And that’s the way it was, at least as it pertains to the Florida portion of Jordan Cronkrite‘s collegiate playing career.
Thursday, the Gators announced that Cronkrite has been granted permission to pursue other opportunities. The release from his scholarship will afford the running back the opportunity to transfer elsewhere.
If that elsewhere is at the FBS, the sophomore would have to sit out the 2017 season. He’d then have two seasons of eligibility remaining beginning in 2018.
Cronkrite was a four-star 2015 recruit who was rated as the No. 34 player at any position in the state of Florida.
As a true freshman, Cronkrite ran for 157 yards and three touchdowns on 44 carries. This past season, he carried the ball 31 times for 145 yards and a touchdown. His 20 receptions were fourth on the Gators.
Brady Hoke had a miserable one-and-done at Oregon, and this piling on just adds to it.
Brought in to turnaround the Ducks’ defense, Hoke instead was in charge of one of the worst units in the country. Their play, in very large part, helped bring an abrupt end to Mark Helfrich‘s three-year tenure in Eugene.
Helfrich was officially replaced by USF’s Willie Taggart earlier this week. The boss of Taggart’s boss, UO president Michael Schill, had one piece of advice and one piece of advice alone for his new head football coach.
Can we take that as confirmation that Hoke won’t be retained by the new regime? At least statistically, though, the president has a point, no matter how clumsily or ill-advised it may have been.
Out of the 128 teams listed on the NCAA’s official stats website, the Ducks were 126th in scoring and yards allowed; 121st in third-down percentage and rushing yards allowed; 117th in turnovers forced; and 114th in passing yards. Last season, the Ducks were 114th in scoring and 116th in yards.
And Taggart’s defense this season? The Bulls were 86th in scoring defense and 120th in yards allowed. So, there’s that.