Charlie Ward: Jameis Winston ‘at peace with’ investigation

46 Comments

Because of the ongoing investigation, Jameis Winston has yet to publicly address the complaint of an alleged sexual assault filed against him last December.

He has, though, addressed it privately with one former Florida State great.

Charlie Ward texts Winston on a regular basis.  In the second half of the Seminoles’ blowout of Syracuse Saturday, the ex-FSU quarterback great was seen joking with the burgeoning current FSU quarterback great on the sidelines.  Ward told the Orlando Sentinel that, yes, he has spoken to Winston about the scandal since it surfaced the middle of last week.

Like most, Winston was taken aback that such an issued became public nearly a year after it was first investigated by the Tallahassee Police Department.  Winston has come to terms with the controversy, Ward said.

“It came out of the blue,” Ward said. “The timing is very odd but for him, he said he’s at peace with it, so I’m at peace with it.”

Last Wednesday, multiple media outlets reported that a complaint alleging sexual assault was filed with the TPD in the early morning hours of Dec. 7.  The alleged victim claimed that she was sexually assaulted through the use of “physical force.”  The complaint was received against Winston, the Tallahassee Democrat reported.

Winston’s attorney said he was told in February that the case was closed, but the complaint was forwarded to state’s attorney Willie Meggs of the 2nd Judicial Circuit the same day the information surfaced publicly.  Meggs has assigned two investigators to the case, vowing to “get to the bottom of it and do the right thing.”  The hope is that a decision on whether charges will or won’t be filed against Winston can be made in the next week or two.

Meggs told The Associated Press Saturday that an interview with the alleged victim, who has moved out of state since the complaint was filed, is in the process of being arranged.  Thus far, and as is his right, Winston has declined to speak to investigators.

While the focus has understandably been on Winston, Meggs reminded people that there is an unidentified (alleged) victim involved as well.

“There is a victim out there right now whose world has tumbled down around her,’” Meggs told The AP. “We have a female victim here, too, and my job is to make sure that this victim or any victim of a crime has their rights protected. … Everything is now focused on Winston and what’s going to happen to him.”

We will once again note that, if Winston were to be charged with what would be a felony, he would be immediately suspended from the football team per university policy.  That suspension would last until the case was resolved.

Four-star 2015 signee second Aggie to leave Texas A&M this week

Getty Images
Leave a comment

With a new head coach in town, it’s far from surprising to see somewhat of a personnel exodus in the spring.  In that vein, Jimbo Fisher‘s first-year Texas A&M roster is the latest FBS football program to see such attrition.

On his personal Twitter account Thursday night, offensive lineman Koda Martin announced that he would be transferring from A&M to Syracuse.  On the same social media website a day later, teammate Kemah Siverand announced that he too will be leaving College Station as a transfer.

Unlike Martin, Siverand (pictured, left) did not reveal his next college football home in the tweet.

As Siverand will be leaving the Aggies as a graduate transfer, he’ll be eligible to play immediately at another FBS school in 2018 if that’s the tack he takes.

Siverand was a four-star member of A&M’s 2015 recruiting class.  After beginning his collegiate career as a wide receiver, the Cypress, Tex., native moved to defensive back between the 2016 and 2017 seasons.  He caught two passes for 16 yards in two games as a redshirt freshman in 2016, then was credited with six tackles in 12 games last season.

Iowa LB Aaron Mends to miss extended time with injury

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Talk about a hard-luck story.

After never starting a game at Iowa, Aaron Mends (pictured, blocking punt) had earned a starting job at outside linebacker during practice this spring.  With football being the cruel mistress that it can be at times, the Hawkeyes announced Friday night that Mends “will miss an extended period of time due to injury.” The program offered no details as to the specific nature of the injury, although it’s believed to involve the knee.

According to the school’s release, the fifth-year senior suffered the injury during the final week of Iowa’s spring drills.

Mends was a three-star member of the Hawkeyes’ 2014 recruiting class.  He was the highest-rated linebacker in Iowa’s class that year.

After taking a redshirt as a true freshman, Mends has played in 38 games the past three seasons.  A baker’s dozen of those appearances came during the 2017 season.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, James Franklin and Clay Helton among 15 CFB coaches attending NFL Draft

Getty Images
1 Comment

We’re less than a week away from former college players officially finding out their new homes with the start of the 2018 NFL Draft and the excitement is palpable no matter if you’re a Cleveland Browns fan or somebody who dons the cardinal and gold of USC.

Naturally this is a big deal for the players’ former programs as well and their recent head coaches will be taking full advantage of the marketing opportunity to future recruits by stopping by the draft itself at AT&T Stadium for the festivities. The NFL released a list of 14 college football coaches and one recent one on Friday as being confirmed to attend the event and there are a few notable names beyond the big ones we’re used to seeing every year:

In addition, Stanford head coach David Shaw will serve as a draft analyst on NFL Network for a seventh year in a row and even ESPN’s College GameDay is getting involved with a pregame show outside the stadium they are quite familiar with from big games over the years.

Georgia DB Mark Webb tears meniscus in practice but expected back before fall camp

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Georgia’s injury luck this spring isn’t getting much better as the defending SEC champions move toward their annual G-Day spring game over the weekend.

Head coach Kirby Smart confirmed with reporters after Thursday’s practice that sophomore defensive back Mark Webb suffered a knee injury earlier in the week and tore his meniscus. He already had the knee scoped and is expected back before fall camp after the rather minor procedure.

Webb originally landed in Athens as a wideout but made the move to the secondary just as the season was getting going. He appeared in 13 games in 2017, mostly on special teams, but was expected to challenge for one of the starting spots at cornerback heading into the upcoming campaign.

The absence of Webb in the lineup for the final week of spring adds to a growing list of injuries for the team during practice as they do a little bit of roster building toward the future. Receiver Michael Chigbu’s career may be over due to lingering injuries and defensive back Divaad Wilson tore his ACL not long after enrolling this semester.

Safe to say that G-Day on Saturday might not be as physical as Smart and the coaching staff would otherwise like as a result of trying to keep the team healthy as they prepare to head into a big offseason.