Jameis Winston

Report: no announcement on charges in Winston case today


A report surfaced yesterday that a decision on whether to charge Jameis Winston in connection to an alleged sexual assault last December would be coming soon.  While that still appears to be the case, “soon” won’t translate into “Friday.”

Willie Meggs, the state’s attorney whose office is investigating the case, told the Tallahassee Democrat that there will be no announcement made Friday in regard to charging Winston in the case.  Meggs met earlier in the day with his staff, including the two investigators he assigned to the case last week, the Democrat wrote, “to determine what else must be done before deciding whether to press charges against” the Florida State quarterback.

That meeting came a day after Meggs reportedly met with Winston’s accuser.

“We are tying up some loose ends,” Meggs told the paper Friday morning. “Hopefully, we will have a quiet day. …

“I’m going to try to have all of our I’s dotted and T’s crossed. Hopefully, don’t overlook anything we could do.”

It remains unclear when a decision will be made by Meggs and his office whether to file charges against Winston, although that could happen as early as next week.  The only known is that Meggs will likely not present the case to a grand jury, instead deciding himself whether enough evidence exists to pursue charges against Winston.

A DNA analysis, ESPN.com reported early Wednesday morning, concluded that there was a one in 2.2 trillion chance that the semen obtained from the alleged victim’s underwear was not Winston’s.  Winston’s attorney, Tim Jansen, acknowledged Thursday that his client had sexual relations with the woman but that the act was “absolutely” consensual.  In a statement released Tuesday, the family of the alleged victim claimed she was raped and that Winston was the perpetrator.

While a report surfaced yesterday morning that “extraordinary circumstances” might preclude it, an indefinite suspension is a near-certainty if Winston were to be charged with a felony, an FSU official told CFT Friday.

UPDATED 3:03 p.m. ET: ESPN.com‘s Mark Schlabach stated on the Paul Finebaum radio show this afternoon that Meggs informed him that decision on whether or not to charge Winston will come Tuesday at the earliest.  No decision will be made this weekend, Meggs said.


Dismissed by ‘Cuse, Ashton Broyld lands at West Georgia

Ashton Broyld, Steele Divitto
Associated Press
Leave a comment

A little over two months after getting the boot from Syracuse, Ashton Broyld has found himself a new college football home.

Multiple outlets have picked up on the fact that Broyld is now playing for Div. II West Georgia.  Broyld left the Orange listed as a running back, but is playing wide receiver according to the team’s official roster.

There was already a familiar face in the locker room upon Broyld’s arrival as Wayne Williams is playing defensive tackle for the Wolves.  Williams announced in late June that he had decided to transfer out of Scott Shafer‘s ‘Cuse program.

I checked in on them,” Shafer said of his two former players Thursday. “I’m happy to see those guys are still playing football.”

In 2013, Broyld led the team in both receptions (52) and receiving yards (452). Broyld was the Orange’s leading receiver through the first three games last season before a lower-leg injury caused him to miss eight of the last nine games.

In late July, Broyld was dismissed for violating unspecified team rules.

Vols ‘very confident there was no inappropriate conduct’ between Butch Jones, player

KNOXVILLE, TN - OCTOBER 11:  Head coach Butch Jones of the Tennessee Volunteers watches the action during a game against the Chattanooga Mocs at Neyland Stadium on October 11, 2014 in Knoxville, Tennessee.  (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

In the midst of reports that he had a physical altercation with one of his Tennessee players during summer camp this year, Butch Jones labeled the speculation “absolutely ridiculous.”

Apparently, his bosses agree with the head coach.

At a board meeting Thursday, UT-Knoxville chancellor Jimmy Cheek stated that he and athletic director Dave Hart had done their “due diligence” in investigating the accusations that Jones and senior offensive lineman Mack Crowder were involved in some type of physical skirmish during practice this past August.  The end result of interviews with Jones, coaches and players was the conclusion that there was nothing to the reports and message-board rumors.

“There’s been a lot of rumor and misinformation on social media and message boards about an alleged incident during football practice,” Cheek said according to GoVols247.com‘s Wes Rucker. “It’s not our practice to respond to rumors, but I thought it was important to let you know that we’ve done our due diligence and Dave Hart and I are very confident there was no inappropriate conduct with any players or coaches.”

Shortly after Cheek spoke at the board meeting, Crowder took to Twitter with a series of missives that speaks around the issue.