UNLV is not known as a perennial winning football program, but Bobby Hauck is going to get some more time to try to change that. On Wednesday the school announced an agreement on a three-year contract extension for Hauck that will run through the 2016 season. The contract extension will become official after the Bard of Regents reviews and approve it.
UNLV had won two game sin each of Hauck’s first three years on the job, but UNLV is coming off their sixth win of the 2013 season, a victory at Air Force, and is bowl eligible for the first time since 2003. Hauck took over the job in 2010 and he has had his work cut out for him from the start. It took some time to come together, but for Hauck it may have been better later than never. If the Rebels had another losing season this year, Hauck may have been one of the first coaches to get the axe this weekend once the season is in the books. Instead Hauck will likely lead UNLV to their first bowl game since the 2000 Las Vegas Bowl.
“As I’ve said many times, my family and I are extremely happy at UNLV and love living in Las Vegas,” Hauck said. “I am excited to tell our team and staff that we can now focus on continuing to build this football program and pursuing the ultimate goal of bringing a Mountain West Championship to UNLV.”
Being able to sell players on the idea there is some job security in place is a huge benefit for any coach at the collegiate level. coming off a successful season, Hauck can now show potential recruits that the plan he has set in place is paying off and they are looking in to the future to keep things moving upward in a conference that could be sending a team to a BCS bowl this year.
“Bobby Hauck and his staff have been focused on building UNLV football step by step since coming to campus and this season we are seeing their hard work pay off with a trip to a bowl game on the horizon,” UNLV athletics director Tina Kunzer-Murphy said. “We are thrilled that Bobby is our coach and that he will be here for years to come to help take Rebel football to a new level.”
It appears Keyshawn Johnson Jr. will continue his collegiate playing career a little bit further west than where it began.
On the same day that Kevin Sumlin was hired as the head coach at Arizona, Nate Clouse of Rivals.com reported that Johnson will be enrolling at UA this week and play for the Wildcats. The son of former USC great Keyshawn Johnson will be eligible to play immediately for Sumlin in 2018.
In late June of last year, Johnson was cited for marijuana possession and possession of drug paraphernalia. Not long after, the wide receiver decided to take a leave of absence, with his famous father stating that his son needed some time to “mature” and would not play for the Cornhuskers in 2017.
At the time, the plan was for the junior Johnson to return to Lincoln and play his college football for Mike Riley. With his father’s college offensive coordinator dismissed at the end of the regular season, Johnson took to Twitter in mid-December to announce that he wouldn’t be returning to the Cornhuskers.
Johnson was a four-star member of the Cornhuskers’ 2017 recruiting class who was an early enrollee and participated in spring practice, but never played a down for NU. Before signing with Nebraska, he held offers from, among others, Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Ohio State and USC.
Roster attrition across college football continues unabated, with Minnesota the latest to lose one its football players.
Zo Craighton revealed on his Twitter account Monday that, “[a]fter prayers and considerations,” he has decided to transfer out of P.J. Fleck‘s football program. “There will always be a place in my heart for Minnesota,” the redshirt sophomore cornerback wrote in his social media missive. “I made friends for life and I appreciate the fan base for all the support.”
Craighton played in 11 games the past two seasons, missing the final nine of the 2017 season because of injury. Coming out of high school in Louisiana, the defensive back was a three-star member of the Gophers’ 2015 recruiting class.
Sean Lewis‘ first staff at Kent State will come armed with a famous coaching surname.
The football program announced Monday that Lewis has hired a total of six new assistants. One of the coaching sextet is Mackey MacPherson, the grandson of former Syracuse head coach Dick MacPherson.
The younger MacPherson will coach the Golden Flashes running backs after spending the past two seasons as an offensive graduate assistant with the Orange. Both Lewis and MacPherson were on Dino Babers‘ staff at the ‘Cuse.
The other full-time assistant hired by Lewis are as follows:
Zac Barton — special teams coordinator
Brian Cochran — defensive line
Jon Cooley — safeties coach
Matt Middleton — wide receivers coach
Bill O’Boyle — offensive line
Nearly two weeks ago, Lewis announced the hiring of his coordinators on both sides of the ball.
There’s a new leader in the clubhouse for “Early Entrant With the Most Vowels in his Surname.”
On his personal Twitter account over the weekend, Joel Iyiegbuniwe announced that he is leaving Western Kentucky early and making himself available for the April NFL draft. The linebacker, a native of Bowling Green, Kent., stated that he came to his decision “[a]fter much thought, prayer and discussion with my family, coaches and advisors.”
This past season, Iyiegbuniwe led the Hilltoppers in tackles with 117, tackles for loss with 11.5 and forced fumbles with three. He was named first-team All-Conference USA following the regular season.
Including last season, Iyiegbuniwe had started 27 straight games at outside linebacker for the Hilltoppers.
Today is the deadline for draft-eligible players to inform the NFL of their intentions.