Urban Meyer

Buckeyes (barely) ahead of Auburn in coaches’ poll

And so it begins.

The USA Today coaches’ poll was released early Sunday afternoon and, as expected, there was important movement at the top of the rankings.  The kind of movement that will, once again, make Ohio State sweat.

The Buckeyes, thanks to top-ranked Alabama’s first loss of the season, did the expected and moved into the No. 2 hole behind new No. 1 Florida State.  That object in the mirror, however, is much closer than they would like for it to appear.

Auburn, which stunned the Tide with no time left Saturday night, is now at No. 3, just 25 points behind the Buckeyes.  Last week, the Tigers had been No. 5 and 160 points behind the Buckeyes.  The initial closeness in the immediate aftermath of the Tide’s loss seemingly sets up a scenario in which Ohio State, if it struggles in a close win in the Big Ten championship game against Michigan State, could possibly be leapfrogged by Auburn if the Tigers bounce Missouri in impressive and blowout fashion in the SEC championship game.

The Buckeyes did claim four first-place votes this week.  The Seminoles were given the other 58.

Mizzou moved up one No. 5 in the coaches’ Top 25, 147 points behind OSU and 122 behind AU.  That appears to be too much ground for the Tigers to make up in the chase for a spot in the BCS title game, even with a drubbing of the West Tigers next weekend in Atlanta.

The Tide, which could still be in the BCS title game mix if both FSU and OSU lose next Saturday, slipped three spots to No. 4.  The rest of the Top Ten is rounded out by No. 6 Oklahoma State (No. 7 last week), T-No. 7 Baylor (No. 8), T-No. 7 South Carolina (No. 9), No. 9 Michigan State (No. 11) and No. 10 Stanford (No. 10).

Duke made one the biggest moves up in the poll, climbing from No. 24 to No. 20.  It’s the Blue Devils’ best-ever standing in the coaches’ poll.  That jump was trumped by only Arizona State, which moved from No. 18 to No. 13.

Fresno State dropped nine spots (to No. 22) after its first loss of the season, while Clemson (No. 11) and Wisconsin (No. 21) tumbled seven each positions each.

Undefeated Northern Illinois, which has its sights set on busting the BCS, is at No. 18, up from No. 20 a week ago.  If the Huskies can finish in the top-16 in the final BCS rankings — they were No. 14 last Sunday — and ahead of No. 17 UCF (if they win the AAC), NIU will make it back-to-back BCS bowl appearances.

Texas at No. 24 is the only new addition to Week 14’s Top 25, while USC dropped out after entering the weekend No. 23.

Coaches' Poll Week 14

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx