Chuck Martin

Miami (OH) hoping for luck of the Irish in coach hire

Nearly a full month after making a change at head coach, it appear’s the MAC’s Miami is on the verge of filling that gaping hole in its football program.

Based on a series of tweets from Irish Illustrated, Miami’s search is all but over and an announcement will be made soon that Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chuck Martin is its new head coach.  The website spoke to Martin shortly before he boarded the university’s private plane, presumably to head to Oxford to put the finishing touches on a deal and be officially introduced.

Miami athletic director David Sayler would only allow that he hopes Martin will be the hire.

Martin, who has spent the past four seasons with the Irish, will be taking his first head-coaching job at the FBS level.  He was the head coach at Grand Valley State from 2004-09, replacing his current boss, Brian Kelly, at the Div. II program.  Upon coming to the Irish in 2010, Martin spent his first two seasons in South Bend as defensive backs coach before moving to offense as coordinator.

2012 marked Martin’s first season as a coach on the offensive side of the ball at the collegiate level.  He took over coordinating duties from Charley Molnar, who left to become the head coach at UMass.

Martin would be replacing Don Treadwell, who was fired in early October after two-plus seasons.  The RedHawks recently completed an 0-12 season and have lost 16 straight, tied with Georgia State for the nation’s longest such streak.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx