Skip to content

Five offensive players leaving Gators

Ian Silberman Getty Images

Coming off a five-win season that saw Florida’s offense hit rock-bottom (they hope), attrition on that side of the ball may not necessarily constitute bad news.

Head coach Will Muschamp confirmed Thursday that five players have decided to leave the football program: sophomore tight end Kent Taylor (no relation), redshirt freshman fullback Raheim Ledbetter, redshirt freshman offensive lineman Quinteze Williams, freshman offensive lineman Trayon Young and redshirt junior offensive lineman Ian Silberman (pictured).  The first four will transfer and will (likely) have to sit out the 2014 season, while Silberman will graduate and be eligible to play immediately at a program of his choosing.

“These young men felt it was in their best interest to look for an opportunity to play somewhere else,’” Muschamp said in a statement. “We wish all of them the best of luck.”

Silberman was the only one of the five to see significant playing time, starting seven games the past two seasons.  Taylor was a four-star member of the Gators’ 2012 recruiting class, rated as the No. 1 tight end in the country by Rivals.com.

The Gainesville Sun notes that, with these departures, five scholarships have opened up for UF, meaning the Gators can sign 21 players in February instead of 16.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Florida Gators, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts
10 Responses to “Five offensive players leaving Gators”
  1. gogatorsjohn says: Dec 12, 2013 5:11 PM

    They won 4 games. And they also got commitments today a TE to replace the one leaving as well as 4-5 Star OL from Jax and a WR. And QB leaving said his style of play won’t mesh with new offense being installed which is a Spread- type of offense (not yet sure what type of Spread).

  2. gatorcheme says: Dec 12, 2013 5:12 PM

    I certainly understand their perspective on this. With Tim Davis and Brent Pease fired at the end of the season and no word (yet) on replacements.

    Muschamp seems hell bent on keeping the pro-set style of offense. Nothing wrong with that, but the spread-option at the college level seems more successful.

    I don’t even think that Penn State lost this many players at once when sanctions hit.

  3. mydixienormus says: Dec 12, 2013 5:22 PM

    Like rats off a sinking ship…

  4. jimmy53 says: Dec 12, 2013 5:45 PM

    Couldn’t happen to a better team…

    Seriously though, this is odd. Coaches come and go all of the time, and players don’t usually just up and transfer in bunches.

    FSU lost 6 coaches last year and didn’t have this type of attrition.

    Where there’s smoke…

  5. Michael Walker says: Dec 12, 2013 6:13 PM

    That’s not the way I read it from Mr. Taylor. It sounds as though they were called in individually and told they would be seeing very little playing time next season.

    In other words, invited to transfer to enable Muschamp to free up scholarships. He did not believe these players fit in or could contribute to his offense.

  6. chc4 says: Dec 12, 2013 6:20 PM

    Quinteze?

  7. dkhhuey says: Dec 12, 2013 8:04 PM

    Reverse over-signing!!!

  8. Michael Walker says: Dec 12, 2013 8:23 PM

    I couldn’t help but wonder if one of the players “invited to transfer” was one of the two linemen in the Georgia Southern game’s infamous video.

    I went back and watched it closely and the lineman was #72, a senior. The other player was actually a receiver, probably a tight end.

  9. boomgrounder says: Dec 13, 2013 5:57 AM

    Too bad Muschamp didn’t put in for his transfer today too. By the way the players all chanted I. The way out of the Swamp “We’re proud to be leaving the 4 n’ 8r’s”!
    Gators Suck and I’m not a hater that’s a fact Jack!

  10. onlyoneleft says: Dec 13, 2013 5:08 PM

    Translation: Muschump is running these kids off. His ass should be gone. We see to much of this especially in the SEC.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!