Mack Brown

Mack Brown’s attorney: ‘He’ll decide on his own’ to stay or go

At some point between now and Friday evening, it’s expected that Mack Brown will, voluntarily or with a nudge, step down as Texas’ head coach.

Until then, an individual close to the longtime coach continues to publicly claim that the decision to stay or go is solely.

Wednesday, Brown’s attorney Joe Jamail denied reports that surfaced Tuesday, saying that his client and longtime friend “has not tendered his resignation” and has yet to decide whether he’ll continue on as the Longhorns’ coach beyond 2013.  More to the point, Jamail claims Brown is not being pushed in either direction by UT officials even as reports and speculation suggest otherwise and, when it comes to his future in Austin, “he’ll decide that on his own.”

The administration is not asking him to do anything. They’re leaving the decision to him and he’ll make that decision when the time comes, and when he thinks it’s best for the university,” Jameil said according to the Dallas Morning News.

For now, Brown remains very active on the recruiting trail.  Even as the coach is at least attempting to plow forward on that front, he acknowledged to at least one recruit that he’s uncertain what the future holds.

“I talked to Mack [Tuesday] night on the phone and basically, he was saying it really wasn’t true, that he wants to be at Texas,” Texas City high schooler and 2014 UT verbal Armanti Foreman told “He was out recruiting and he wouldn’t be out recruiting if he didn’t want to stay. So I mean, he really wants to stay, but he doesn’t really know what’s going to happen.”

As if it weren’t abundantly clear already, the bolded, italicized part tells you all you really need to know about whether the decision to continue on as UT’s head coach truly rests in Brown’s hands.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx