The Nick Saban to Texas rumors are now just that, rumors. Reports are surfacing Friday night that Saban has agreed to a contract extension with Alabama.
Cecil Hurt of Tuscaloosa News reports Saban has agreed to a multi-year extension.
According to TideSports.com, the contract is expected to pay Saban between $7 and $7.5 million per year, a nice upgrade from his current $5.4 million in compensation. Saban is already the highest paid coach in the game, and that will continue to be the case. Alabama certainly has invested in Saban, and the commitment has paid off. Alabama has won three BCS titles under Saban and had a good shot to win another this season. As college football moves in to the era of the College Football Playoff, Alabama should be in a good situation more often than not as long as Saban can keep this giant powerhouse moving forward.
Earlier this week Alabama quarterback AJ MCCarron said Saban told him he was not leaving Alabama, but with word of an extension waiting to be signed by Saban the anxiety level for some had begun to rise just a little bit. Whether or not Saban was ever considering leaving Alabama or not is something only Saban and perhaps his agent, Jimmy Sexton, may know for sure. Reports had suggested Saban was investigating the cost of putting together a staff at Texas, but that report will surely be turned aside if Saban is asked about it now.
So Saban’s legacy at Alabama will continue to grow. Despite coming up one bizarre game-ending play away from a return trip to the SEC Championship Game this season, and thus perhaps one play away from a BCS title shot, Saban remains the best coach in college football.
Talks of Saban to Texas as the replacement for Mack Brown had been fun to follow, and perhaps that was part of the play to get the bets possible extension out of Alabama. Alabama likely would have pulled every resource possible to keep Saban in Tuscaloosa, but if the perceived interest from Texas was needed to maximize Saban’s new contract, it certainly worked.
The 2017 NFL Draft has come and gone, and once again it is the SEC claiming another NFL Draft national championship. A grand total of 53 players from the SEC were drafted by NFL teams. It is the 11th straight year the SEC has had the most players drafted by NFL teams.
The ACC ended the draft with 42 players drafted, followed by the Pac-12 (36) and Big Ten (35). The Big 12 ended the draft with just 14 players drafted.
Helping to contribute to the SEC’s NFL Draft total was Alabama setting a school record with 10 players drafted.
Alabama’s nine players drafted in the first 80 picks was also a new Alabama record.
Michigan ended up having more players drafted than any other Big Ten team, slipping past Ohio State by the time the draft closed up shop this year. For the Wolverines, 11 players ended up being drafted. The previous school record for draft picks was 10, set in 1972 and tied in 1974. Head coach Jim Harbaugh will get plenty of the praise for developing that many players getting a chance to be drafted, but Brady Hoke should be recognized for recruiting those players as well (and blamed for not developing the talent he brought in).
One of the top players from Air Force was ineligible to be drafted by the NFL this weekend, and it had nothing to do with NFL rules. It also had nothing to do with NFL teams backing away from a particular player due to off-field concerns. Instead, a policy at Air Force is what is to blame for wide receiver Jalen Robinette not moving on to the NFL at this time.
The U.S. Air Force will not approve requests from academy graduates to defer their two years of active duty in order to be allowed to play professional football. Just a year ago, the Department of Defense changed the policy to allow for the possibility, which made it possible for Navy quarterback Keenan Reynolds to be allowed to play. Reynolds later joined the Baltimore Ravens. Reynolds had received a recommendation to be allowed to play by the U.S. Naval Academy.
“The Air Force notified academy leaders [Thursday] that the service would not approve requests to waiver active duty military commitments for cadet athletes,” a statement from Air Force read. “Cadets will be required to serve two years active duty prior to entering Ready Reserve, which would allow their participation in professional sports. The Air Force places tremendous value on our cadet athletes and their contributions to the nation as we continue to build leaders of character, engage in combat operations overseas and continue to ensure our highest military readiness at home.”
Because of the policy change and confirmation, Robinette was not able to be drafted. He may still have been a long shot to be drafted by an NFL Team, but the policy also means he is unable to be signed as an undrafted free agent as well.
Any time a player that has previously undergone neck surgery goes down on the field and needs to be carted off is quite the scary moment. On Saturday, the Arkansas football program had that exact scare when Rawleigh Williams went down on the field in pain and ended up having to be carted off the practice field during the Arkansas scrimmage.
Williams was placed on a stretcher and taken out of the facility on a cart to receive medical attention. His legs and arms were moving on the ground, a slight sigh of relief given the hit and his injury history. In 2015, Williams was carted off and had to undergo surgery on his neck. Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema said the injury concern on Saturday was apparently not related to the previous neck injury, which was expected to have a full recovery.
It is an unfortunate ending to the spring for Williams, because all indications seemed to be he was certainly improving running the football. Bielema said earlier in the week Williams was running with more patience, which is always a key for a running back.
Arkansas moved its final scrimmage of the spring indoors due to bad weather rolling through the area.
A glimpse of a brand new era of Oregon football took center stage in Eugene, Oregon on Saturday as the spring football season drew to a close. Willie Taggart showed fans a little bit of what to expect from Oregon in the fall as the program looks to bounce back from a down season under the coach who has shown a knack for improving programs. As is usually the case in a spring game, Oregon’s quarterback situation was under a microscope, and sophomore Justin Herbert took advantage of the opportunity.
Herbert completed 16 of 26 passes for 327 yards and established a connection with wide receiver Darren Carrington. The two connected for three touchdowns in the game. Sophomore Travis Jonson and early enrollee Braxton Burmeister also saw playing time in the game, but Carrington was confident in saying this is Herbert’s job to lose.
”Our chemistry has definitely improved this spring, and it’ll improve more by the time fall comes, but Herbert, I mean, that’s the guy right now to beat,” Carrington said after the spring game.
As for the team as a whole, Taggert knows there is much still to address as a new system and style are implemented and the roster adjusts physically to the demands of the new coach.
‘We’re still building. We’re nowhere where we need to be as a football team yet. We have some good players. We don’t have a lot of depth that we need to have, that’s going to be a work in progress,” Taggart said. ”The thing for us as coaches is just to make our guys better than they were before. If I guy wasn’t good enough we want to make him look better than he was before. If I guy was good we want to make him great.”
Og course, it wouldn’t be an Oregon spring game without having that typical Oregon uniform flair. Even with a new head coach and with the talk suggesting the Ducks will go for a more traditional approach to uniforms in the fall, the spring game was used for some sizzle on the unis.
Oregon’s spring game crowd of 36,821 assured the Ducks of having the highest spring game attendance among Pac-12 school for a third consecutive year.