Jameis Winston

Winston accuser’s attorney calls for investigation into case, Tallahassee Police Department

61 Comments

The attorney for Jameis Winston’s accuser called upon Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi to conduct an independent investigation into the sexual assault case against the FSU quarterback and Tallahassee Police Department Friday morning.

The accuser’s attorney, Patricia Carroll, said in a press conference said the conduct of the Tallahassee Police Department and state attorney Willie Meggs was an “investigation of a rape victim, not a rape suspect.”

Carroll said she and the accuser’s family are not considering a civil suit against Winston at this time.

Carroll pointed to search warrants issued for the accuser’s phone records by Tallahassee Police Department Detective Scott Angulo, instead of obtaining a search warrant for Winston’s DNA last January when the alleged victim identified Winston as the perpetrator.

Additionally, Carroll blasted Meggs’ focus on discovering who the second sample of DNA belonged to — later to be discovered as that of the accuser’s boyfriend. The prying into the accuser’s past sexual history opened her up for inquiries that wouldn’t stand in a court of law, Carroll said.

When the case reached Meggs, Carroll requested Winston’s phone records be obtained, but Meggs told her those documents were no longer available — though Carroll said those records actually could’ve been obtained.

“They didn’t try,” Carroll said.

Among the other issues Carroll raised with the investigation, both by the Tallahassee Police Department and state attorney’s office:

— The medical records used in the investigation did not include certain information that were on the medical records given to Carroll by the accuser’s family. Among the omitted information: The clinician’s opinion a sexual assault had occurred.

— Carroll said the symptoms reported by the accuser were consistent with a date rape drug being used, but Carroll also said the alleged victim took a shot from “a big black guy” at a bar, and her memory was intermittent afterwards. The blood provided by the accuser was never tested for the presence of a date rape drug, Carroll said.

— The report written by Angulo contained inconsistencies, such as listing two different heights provided by the accuser though nowhere in the report did Angulo state the accuser gave a different height. Many of Angulo’s interviews with the accuser were not recorded.

— Carroll said Meggs relied heavily on affidavits given by two of Winston’s teammates — Chris Casher and Ronald Darby — stating that the sexual encounter between Winston and the accuser was consensual. Carroll blasted the reliance on Casher and Darby’s affidavits, saying both players were unreliable and inconsistent in their statements.

Meggs announced last week that he did not have enough evidence to charge Winston with a crime.

The timing of Carroll’s press conference appeared calculated with the Heisman Trophy ceremony on Saturday and Winston expected to win the prestigious award. Carroll, though, said the press conference was “not tied to the timing of the Heisman announcement” and came today because she needed sufficient time to review the documents provided by Meggs’ investigation.

Texas the landing spot for second four-star 2016 Baylor signee

SAN ANTONIO, TX - DECEMBER 30:  Texas Longhorns mascot Bevo wears a harness in honor of head coach Mack Brown during the Valero Alamo Bowl against the Oregon Ducks at the Alamodome on December 30, 2013 in San Antonio, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

In the end, Baylor’s loss will turn into Texas’ gain.  Again.

Just a couple of days after Baylor announced five 2016 signees had been granted releases from their National Letters of Intent, one of those prospects announced their new landing spot.  And, to add insult to injury, said landing spot is a fellow Big 12 member.

And the state’s flagship university for good measure.

Pictured with Texas head coach Charlie Strong, that would be offensive lineman J.P. Urquidez announcing that he will begin his collegiate playing career with the Longhorns. And the get for UT, at least when it comes to recruiting pedigree, is a huge one.

Urquidez was a four-star BU signee this past February, rated as the No. 22 offensive tackle; the No. 37 player at any position in the state of Texas; and the No. 244 player on 247Sports.com‘s composite board.

The lineman becomes the second 2016 Bears signee to join the Longhorns since the sexual assault scandal slammed headfirst into Waco. Late this past week, UT confirmed the addition of four-star wide receiver Devin Duvernay.

Reportedly transferring from Vols, Ray Raulerson confirms he’s ‘exploring options’

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 4.58.03 PM
Tennessee athletics
Leave a comment

Thursday, reports surfaced that two Tennessee offensive linemen would be leaving the Volunteers football program and possibly transferring to the FCS level.  Friday, one of those two confirmed he’s looking into it.

Speaking to The Knoxville News Sentinel, Ray Raulerson acknowledged that he’s “exploring options right now,” although he stopped short of confirming a transfer.  However, the redshirt sophomore center talked of his time in Knoxville in the past tense, an indication that he is prepared to move on.

“I’m exploring options right now,” Raulerson told the News Sentinel. “…I really loved it at Tennessee, but I’m going to go to a place where I have a better chance to play.”

Raulerson was a three-star member of UT’s 2014 recruiting class.  After redshirting as a true freshman, he played in five games in 2015.

It has yet to be confirmed that the other lineman, fifth-year senior tackle Dontavius Blair, is indeed transferring.  Raulerson, though, told the newspaper that his teammate is leaving as well.

Clemson tables proposal that would’ve had students paying for some football tickets

CLEMSON, SC - AUGUST 31: Clemson Tigers fans celebrate at the start of the game against the Georgia Bulldogs at Memorial Stadium on August 31, 2013 in Clemson, South Carolina.  (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Students at Clemson can rest easy; your football fix will still be free of charge this year.

In 2015, tickets for the student sections in both the lower bowl and upper bowl of Memorial Stadium came at no cost to those enrolled in classes at the university.  In April, however, athletic director Dan Radakovich proposed levying what was described as a “$225 student donation” for those wishing to sit in the lower bowl on season tickets, while the upper bowl seats would remain free.

Late this past week, tigernet.com reported, Radakovich’s proposal was tabled as the university will “continue to have good conversations with student leaders about the entire ticketing process.”

So, for the 2016 football season, tickets in both bowls will come at no cost to students.  As was the case last year, all of those tickets are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

It wasn’t all good news financially for Clemson students — or their parents — as The State news paper writes that “[t]he university’s board of trustees voted almost unanimously via teleconference Thursday to raise tuition rates for the 2016-17 year for in-state and out-of-state students.”

Separation of UCLA coach Jim Mora, wife of 30-plus years announced in a statement

PASADENA, CA - SEPTEMBER 19:  Head coach Jim Mora of the UCLA Bruins greets players after a third quarter UCLA touchdown against the BYU Cougars at the Rose Bowl on September 19, 2015 in Pasadena, California.  UCLA won 24-23.  (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)
1 Comment

Unfortunately, the private life of a major college football coach has once again become laid bare for public consumption.

In a statement released Friday, the agent for UCLA head coach Jim Mora, Jimmy Sexton, released a statement confirming that his client and his wife, Shannon, have decided to separate.  The couple have been married for more than 30 years, and have four children — one daughter and three sons.

“After much thought and careful consideration, Jim and Shannon Mora have decided to separate,” the statement from Sexton began. “This was a very difficult decision and they appreciate the respect for their family’s privacy at this time.”

The 54-year-old Mora will be entering his fifth season as the head coach of the Bruins.  Earlier this month, UCLA announced that Mora, 37-16 in his first four seasons with the Bruins, had reached an agreement on a two-year contract extension with the university.

There was no specific word on whether any type of raise was involved in the new agreement, which keeps Mora signed through the 2021 season.