Jameis Winston

Winston accuser’s attorney calls for investigation into case, Tallahassee Police Department


The attorney for Jameis Winston’s accuser called upon Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi to conduct an independent investigation into the sexual assault case against the FSU quarterback and Tallahassee Police Department Friday morning.

The accuser’s attorney, Patricia Carroll, said in a press conference said the conduct of the Tallahassee Police Department and state attorney Willie Meggs was an “investigation of a rape victim, not a rape suspect.”

Carroll said she and the accuser’s family are not considering a civil suit against Winston at this time.

Carroll pointed to search warrants issued for the accuser’s phone records by Tallahassee Police Department Detective Scott Angulo, instead of obtaining a search warrant for Winston’s DNA last January when the alleged victim identified Winston as the perpetrator.

Additionally, Carroll blasted Meggs’ focus on discovering who the second sample of DNA belonged to — later to be discovered as that of the accuser’s boyfriend. The prying into the accuser’s past sexual history opened her up for inquiries that wouldn’t stand in a court of law, Carroll said.

When the case reached Meggs, Carroll requested Winston’s phone records be obtained, but Meggs told her those documents were no longer available — though Carroll said those records actually could’ve been obtained.

“They didn’t try,” Carroll said.

Among the other issues Carroll raised with the investigation, both by the Tallahassee Police Department and state attorney’s office:

— The medical records used in the investigation did not include certain information that were on the medical records given to Carroll by the accuser’s family. Among the omitted information: The clinician’s opinion a sexual assault had occurred.

— Carroll said the symptoms reported by the accuser were consistent with a date rape drug being used, but Carroll also said the alleged victim took a shot from “a big black guy” at a bar, and her memory was intermittent afterwards. The blood provided by the accuser was never tested for the presence of a date rape drug, Carroll said.

— The report written by Angulo contained inconsistencies, such as listing two different heights provided by the accuser though nowhere in the report did Angulo state the accuser gave a different height. Many of Angulo’s interviews with the accuser were not recorded.

— Carroll said Meggs relied heavily on affidavits given by two of Winston’s teammates — Chris Casher and Ronald Darby — stating that the sexual encounter between Winston and the accuser was consensual. Carroll blasted the reliance on Casher and Darby’s affidavits, saying both players were unreliable and inconsistent in their statements.

Meggs announced last week that he did not have enough evidence to charge Winston with a crime.

The timing of Carroll’s press conference appeared calculated with the Heisman Trophy ceremony on Saturday and Winston expected to win the prestigious award. Carroll, though, said the press conference was “not tied to the timing of the Heisman announcement” and came today because she needed sufficient time to review the documents provided by Meggs’ investigation.

Report: Myles Jack leaves UCLA, will enter NFL Draft

Myles Jack
1 Comment

Well here’s a bit of a shocker for you this morning. UCLA running back Myles Jack has reportedly withdrawn from UCLA and will prepare to enter the NFL Draft in 2016. The news was first reported, via Twitter, by Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated.

Jack has played linebacker and fullback for the Bruins, and his decision to turn pro now comes off feeling a bit strange. Head coach Jim Mora certainly questions the decision by Jack.

“I think it’s very risky to do this. There’s a lot of speculation to ….where he fits,” Mora explained, via Thamel. “I’ve been in 25 Draft rooms. I’ve never seen a guys taken off (two games of junior tape)… Myles’ talent is without question. I hope he’s put enough out there where they can get a true evaluation.”

Jack suffered a season-ending knee injury last month in a practice. The injury led USC Athletics Director Pat Haden to send him a letter wishing him well in a sign of good sportsmanship between conference and crosstown rivals. Perhaps the season-ending injury led Jack to consider the consequences of returning in 2016 in a UCLA uniform, with players not being compensated for their play. The question then becomes if Jack is a good enough talent to go in round one, or even round two, considering the latest injury situation for him.

Well, here is the instant opinion of our friend Josh Norris of Rotoworld and an NFL Draft analyst…

Jack was a two-time second team All-Pac-12 selection and Pac-12 Defensive and Offensive Freshman of the Year in 2013.

Hokies QB Brewer a gametime decision, but RB Williams out for the year

Michael Brewer
Leave a comment

Virginia Tech has been playing just about the whole season without starting quarterback Michael Brewer after the Hokies signal-caller broke his collarbone in the first game of the season. Now, Brewer is on his way back to the field. Brewer has been medically cleared to return to practice in Blacksburg. It may still be another few weeks until he gets back in a game for Virginia Tech.

Brewer broke his collarbone in Virginia Tech’s season-opening loss to Ohio State. Once he left the game, it seemed the Hokies were unable to give the defending national champions much of a fight for a second straight season. He was originally expected to miss eight to 10 weeks of action, which would have meant a return for a Halloween game against Boston College as the earliest likely date. Virginia Tech has a bye week after the Boston College game, meaning Brewer could then be available for a Thursday night division game against Georgia Tech on November 12. Considering all of that, the chance Brewer might be available to play this Friday night against N.C. State is quite a pleasant surprise for a Virginia Tech team in need of some help after dropping to 2-3 after a second straight loss last weekend. Andy Bitter of The Roanoke Times says Brewer could be a gametime decision for Frank Beamer.

The outlook is not quite as possible for Hokies running back Marshawn Williams. Williams will be out for the rest of the season after reinjuring his left knee in practice in late September. It is the same knee that was surgically repaired last December. Williams can use this season as his redshirt season as he has not played in a game this season. He will still have three years of eligibility remaining when he returns to the team next fall.