Earlier this week former Iowa receiver Derrell Johnson-Koulianos had some strong statements to say about the way he felt he was treated by Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz. The unlashing through Twitter caused quite a stir, and it caught the attention of Iowa. The university released a statement in response to the rant by Johnson-Koulianos late Friday afternoon.
“The UI Athletics Department and the Iowa football team are aware of former Iowa student-athlete Derrell Johnson-Koulianos’ recent social media statements,” the statement shared via email said. “During his career at Iowa, Mr. Johnson-Koulianos had moments of success on the field. He also made some unfortunate decisions during that period of time.”
Johnson-Koulkianos was was hit with multiple drug charges in December 2010, which led to his suspension from Iowa’s bowl game that season. A couple of months later he apologized for his actions and showed remorse.
“As we do with all student-athletes, we attempted to assist him and work through the various issues,” Iowa’s statement read. “Unfortunately, his tenure ended with him being suspended from participating in intercollegiate athletics at Iowa due to being in violation of the UI’s Student-Athlete Code of Conduct.”
Johnson-Koulianos has a book coming out, which is said to be a tell-all tale of his experience with the Iowa football program, so the timing of the rant is a tad suspicious. Regardless, the way the Iowa football program has been run has come under fire at times over the past couple of years, so it may be enlightening to see how Johnson-Koulianos pulls back the curtain.
Now we (allegedly) know a little more of the rest of the story.
Monday night, Auburn announced that star wide receiver D’haquille Williams had been dismissed from the football program. No reason was given, with head coach Gus Malzahn saying in a statement that “[w]hen individuals fail to meet the expectations of our program, there has to be consequences.”
Apparently, one of the expectations of the program is to not be involved in a bar rampage.
An unnamed employee of the drinking establishment Skybar told al.com that Saturday night Williams had punched a pair of security guards, a bartender’s assistant and a patron of the bar after one of his friends was kicked out of the place for wearing sunglasses inside. From the report:
According to the witness, the incident was sparked when a member of Williams’ party was kicked out of Skybar for wearing sunglasses inside, a violation of the bar’s dress code policy. Williams, who the witness said appeared intoxicated, attempted to get his friend back into the bar using his local celebrity status only to be denied.
Police arrived at the scene Saturday after the incident and returned Monday, according to the witness, who said one of the victims wanted to press charges against Williams unless he was disciplined by the team.
The alleged incident continued a disturbing trend for Williams over the past year or so.
Williams was suspended from AU’s bowl game against Wisconsin last year because of unspecified violations of team rules. After participating in spring practice, he was suspended for the early part of summer camp before being reinstated in the middle of August.
A historic weather incident this past weekend will have a significant impact on a college football game this weekend.
Even as they tried to work out alternatives earlier in the week, South Carolina officials confirmed in a press release Wednesday that the game against LSU, previously scheduled to be played Saturday in Columbia, will instead be played in Baton Rouge at the home of the Tigers. Historic flooding in the area triggered the decision, which was made after consultation with state and local officials, law enforcement, the SEC and LSU.
The fears of those involved in making the decision, which was made yesterday, was that 85,000 fans attending the game Saturday would exact a toll on an infrastructure that’s already stretched to its limits because of the flooding. Classes for 34,000 students had previously been cancelled.
“On behalf of the University of South Carolina Athletics Department, our thoughts and prayers are with those who have suffered the loss of life and property during this tragic flood,” said athletic director Ray Tanner in a statement. “After much thought and consideration, and in conjunction with local and state authorities and with our own University administration, we have made the decision to move Saturday’s football game to Baton Rouge. Changing venues on such short notice is no easy task, and I would like to thank LSU President F. King Alexander and Athletics Director Joe Alleva for their cooperation and flexibility in working with us to change the site for Saturday’s football game.”
“On behalf of the South Carolina football team we want to do the right thing and do what is best for all concerned,” said head coach Steve Spurrier. “It appears the best thing is to travel to LSU. We look forward to the challenge and competing against the Tigers in Baton Rouge on Saturday.”
A kickoff time will be announced later today or tomorrow. The Gamecocks are expected to leave for Baton Rouge Friday.